Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Riding in Barnsley!
  • crasher
    Free Member

Anyone know of anywhere to ride locally in Barnsley?

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Seems quite a few STWers live around Barnsley, riding varies from Wharncliffe where there are a couple of decent cross country loops and several scary downhill courses frequented by wannabe and actual Peats. For mixed trail riding the area around Silkstone and Cawthorne is ok with the woods by J37 alright for pootling about. Not much to the East apart from the Trans Pennine Trail, can be a bit dodgy with broken glass and vicious dogs. Then there's Langsett and Cut Gate if you want a big ride.

crasher
    Free Member

Yeah I'd thought of Wharncliffe before. What are the cross country trails like there, how challenging are they cos I'm not ready for massive drops or anything too hard! Plus, anyone know of the conditions after all the snow?

Pook

Wharny will be a bit of a bog right now, as will Cut Gate I'm afraid

compositepro
    Free Member

wharncliff is ok …i actually live up by cut gate and langsett tbh its pretty shit now as far as im concerned…ruined

but you can get all the way to wharncliffe along the bottom side of penistone..wombwell wood is ok and so is high green high green used to be a good ride through to wharncliffe if you didnt want to go down into the deepcar side you could just turn round at the top…if you head further round than cut gate to dunford bridge its good riding though we try to keep a lot of the trails quiet round that part over to holme moss way

antigee

Wharncliffe is as hard as you choose to make it – i'm def' not hard core
    you don't need to ride downhill – being able to read a map does help

though there is/was a red route signposted from carpark near grenoside
    if coming from barnsley direction on transpennine trail you will pick up markers half way round and would give some sort of idea – yes it will be muddy and part of this trail has been destroyed by felling

The Vertical Graphics Dark Peak book has a route in Wharncliffe, also a description for a short Langsett loop and if you have transport or have a liking for long days can blast up the TPT over towards Holmfirth via Ramsden Clough then there is a route round Digley which is good

Also some stuff up around Ingbirchworth towards Holmfirth but a fair bit of road to connect

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Riding in Barnsley!’ is closed to new replies.