Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Most Overrated Band(s) ?
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

My choice…….

U2…Yawwwwwwwwn.Bono please realise nobody cares a toss about you or thinks your the messiah.FFS.

Oasis…..good first album, up their own arse for the rest of their career.Both bros need a hard dig in the gob!!!

Beatles….Yawwwwwwn, how many times must i hear about how great they were etc etc. (and also went up their own arse as well).

Bruce Springsteen….tedious shouty **** with a large following of loyal fans for some reason.

Rockdodger
    Free Member

U2 because there music is simply DULL

ahwiles
    Free Member

Radiohead: will Thomme Yorwke ever stop f**king moaning? – god what a miserable loser that man is, cheer up, life's alright, ffs.

same for Morissey, i don't care about your pain.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    neilsonwheels
    Free Member

+ another one for U2.

Stop wearing sunglasses indoors you ***t.

CountZero

without The Beatles there would be no popular music as we know it.
    Without the Beatles, some other band would have come along and "changed popular music as we know it"…

But they didn't, did they. That's just using the same dumb argument people use when shown works by, say Mondrian or Jackson Pollock: “Jeeze, I could do that!" Maybe, but the fact is they had the imagination and creativity and got there first, and that's all that's important. And, frankly, none of your opinions counts for squat 'cos millions of people out there actually buy the albums and go to the gigs so that's what makes those artists highly rated. Bitch about them all you want, you ain't gonna change anything.
    In my opinion, Oasis were overrated just because they were pretty much a Beatles cover band with a change of lyrics; they had nothing that was original. I could possibly have lived with that if the brothers hadn't been such mouthy gobshites.

coogan
    Free Member

In my opinion, Oasis were overrated just because they were pretty much a Beatles cover band with a change of lyrics; they had nothing that was original. I could possibly have lived with that if the brothers hadn't been such mouthy gobshites.

Nail and head.

Irish_AL
    Free Member

the beatles…….I just dont get it never have and most likely never will oh and anyone who falls within the modern usage of the term RnB….justin timberlake a great RnB artist of our time?…MY ARSE!!!

dobby156
    Free Member

Pink Floyd are not over rated in the slightest, especially when compared to over prog (some good King Crimson, much bad ELP)they were ahead of there time.

Problem is PF went on for a long time with very different musical leads, their Psychedelic era (syd Barret) is not to everyones liking, including mine, and their Rodger Water era (Such as Final Cut) was also only good if you like Rodger Waters as a solo artist, I don't. But when you take the good it is very very good. Albums like Dark Side of the Moon and Wish You Where Here; also Meddles B side (echoes). In my opinion when Pink Floyd work as a band with both Gilmour and Waters contributing equally then the product is amazing.

Also never let it be said that The Wall is there finest work, this album is also heavily Rodger Waters Bias. Although I do like it, but no where near as much as Dark Side or Echoes.

Rank Over – I really do like The Pink Floyd Sound.

edhornby

I'm glad someone else out there thinks the same as me when it comes to the Sex Pistols – just another boy band put together by a manager to cash in on a trend

I don't agree that Cream or the Arctic Monkeys are rubbish but I conceed that some people go too far in thinking that they are minor deities (anyone ever heard that song by Dan le Sac and Scroobius Pip? 'just a band' :] )

ok, here's some more over rated's

Blur, one or two good songs (i.e. one an album) but a lot of filler in the albums and all that fake cockernee bullsht
    the Cure, boring
    metallica, crap
    Guns N Roses, the big singles that still get played on the radio are showing their age and the rest is all toss
    Paul Weller's solo stuff after the first 2 albums (Paul Weller and Wildwood are decent enough the rest are all dire and get progressively worse)

doctornickriviera
    Free Member

anyone who wins the mercury music award.

cinnamon_girl

slimtubing – will respond to your comment later!

crikey
    Free Member

The Beatles, again.

A moderately good beat combo who unfortunately 'took the world by storm', a world unfortunately not sophisticated enough to recognise rubbish music played by monkeys.

Look at their later achievements; a millionaire lying in bed for peace? Mull of Kintyre? Thomas the Tank Engine?

… I'm eternally grateful that I was too young to be exposed to them, and then when I was old enough, my critical faculties were well developed enough to realise that they really, really weren't all that.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

beatles – yawn.

U2 – get over yourselves

no one mentioned ABBA though?!

oh god, shoot me now. why don't they just piss off and dissapear into the ether of shite that they came from.

sickeningly shit.

AND YET… flipping tv bangs on and on about them with their abba tributes etc etc etc… AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

oh, and any 'tribute' band. clearly shit cos otherwise they'd be able to make their own music.

cinnamon_girl

As for Van Morrison, yeah he can sing but name me 10 good songs by him not including Gloria, Brown eyed bleedin girl, moondance or here comes the night.

1. Have I told you lately that I love you?
    2. Cyprus avenue.
    3. Flamingoes fly.
    4. I have finally come to realise.
    5. Madame George.
    6. Sweet thing.
    7. Tupelo honey.
    8. In the garden.
    9. Wonderful remark.
    10. Beautiful vision.

I have around 40 of Van the Man's albums. Let me know if you want some more suggestions!

nonk
    Free Member

bit pointless this tread in my view.its shite its not yes it is no its not yes it is no its not yes it is. 🙄
    music is what ever you feel it is.

me1onhead
    Free Member

Van wrote some lovely songs (He HATES 'Brown Eyed Girl')
    Did Ye Get Healed?
    Listen To The Lion.
    So Quiet In Here.
    etc….

Shame he's such a miserable two-hat though…..

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

For me Queen, hate the processed backing lyrics and Brian May's guitar sound, AC/DC should've packed it in years ago. Zappa, boring drivel. Iron Maiden, total mince.

cinnamon_girl

Shame he's such a miserable two-hat though…..

Don't really see what that has to do with anything. Arguably it's his demeanour that has made him such a great songwriter, alongside his life's experiences.

Dan67
    Free Member

JLS they are rubbish. I cant stand them

Purplefunkymonkey
    Free Member

JLS they are rubbish. I cant stand them

Them's not even reached "rated" status yet so don't fret. 🙂

Dylan.
    Springsteen.
    "Prog" rock.
    Coldplay.
    Snowpatrol , how these **** have headlined T in the Park (twice) is beyond me. ooh but they're Scottish………..aye, but they're shite.

Loads more but I'm now having a turn thinking about shite music. 😛

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

A few runners up namely Oasis, Beatles, Coldplay, Yes, Dire Straits and Police

But the outright winner must be, wait for it, the tediously repetitive band that is Genesis

john_drummer
    Free Member

one mentioned ABBA though?!

oh god, shoot me now. why don't they just piss off and dissapear into the ether of shite that they came from.

sickeningly shit.

AND YET… flipping tv bangs on and on about them with their abba tributes etc etc etc… AAAAAAAAAAAAAGH

hear hear. hated them then, still hate them now. and as for that 'film' based on the musical based on their work – what a crock of sh&te. Absolutely the worst filme ever in the history of celluloid. At least Plan 9 From Outer Space had a plot

oh, and any 'tribute' band. clearly shit cos otherwise they'd be able to make their own music.

yeah, covers are easier to learn than your own material, but a lot less rewarding, especially when people actually like your own material. but if you don't have a recognised 'writer' in the band you're buggered

grumm
    Free Member

If we're allowed solo artists it has to be Bob Dylan.

Bunnyhop

I have never got Bob Dylan either.

The Corrs are scarily dreadful as are R.E.M.

RichPenny
    Free Member

There are no overrated bands, just differences in taste. If I like something you don't like, and I'm a HUGE Radiohead fan, for example, then I win 🙂 Because I derive enormous amounts of pleasure from their music and seeing them perform, and all you get is a bitter taste in the mouth….

Teetosugars
    Free Member

ColdPlay.
    U2
    Oasis.

Oh, and any of that X-factor bildge.

All boil my head, and have me gunning for the remote if they come on.. 😐

loddrik
    Free Member

Whilst I appreciate that some people think Radiohead can be a bit dour, at least they are original. Oasis are stil playing exactly the same shite, just rehashed, as they were over 15 years ago, which I suppose appeals to your average beer swilling england shirted youth.

stratobiker
    Free Member

Pink Floyd – Unmusical, dull, wallowing, pretentious 'sound'

……
    C'mon, they weren't that good!

Oasis
    Adam Ant

SB

nickc

I sort of feel sorry for you all. All that bile and angst, it must be hell.

There isn't a band on this thread that I don't appreciate at least a song. Some of them aren't anywhere near a favourite band or anything, but some of the comments are comical really, jealous much?

algarvebairn
    Free Member

Purplefunkymonkey: snowpatrol are sh*te but they're Irish not Scottish.

john_drummer
    Free Member

Oasis are stil playing exactly the same shite, just rehashed, as they were over 15 years ago,

actually, they're not. not any more 🙂

BTW I never really got Pink Floyd either. Or Genesis.

Status Quo were never really 'rated' either, so can't be 'overrated' 😉

All that bile and angst, it must be hell. no, not really, That's reserved solely for ABBA

samuri
    Free Member

So we're all agreed that U2 are overrated and need to be shot (into space preferably)?

Splendid, I'll sort out a chap to do the deal, you'll all need to put something in the kitty.

john_drummer
    Free Member

can I just watch "Under A Blood Red Sky" again before you do that? ta

mboy
    Free Member

bananaworld – Member

Oh well, here's me 2p…

Oasis are my favourite band. Of all time. Ever. They deserve to be held up as producers of astonishingly good music. I still don't know why so many people go "oh yeah, their first two albums were alright, but then they got shite": seems to me people ain't listening to 'em and only because they're too proud to.

Definitely Maybe – Sheer Genius of a biblical scale. NO WAY could you accuse Oasis of being overhyped because this album although very successful, took a lot longer to reach any real success than it should have done. It was no overnight success story, and I remember just how sceptical people were of this band of misfits from Manchester until they listened to the Album. Underhyped even?

What's the Story Morning Glory – Another bloody good album (though not quite as good as its predecessor), found it much easier to succeed than the first album as the band now had a name already. Overhyped? Yes/No/Maybe, it certainly deserved the credits it got so I don't think it was.

Everything after What's the Story – TOTAL AND UTTER SHITE! Overhyped crap being churned out by a band that lost their edge pretty much the moment they became popular. Perhaps the booze and drugs they could now afford were the culprits?

By far and away the most overhyped, total and utter piece of shite band I have ever had the misfortune to listen to are of course… Coldplay. Has Chris Martin ever sung a note in tune in his life ever? How the hell did they get so popular? I have never heard anything remotely worthy of being signed by a record company by Coldplay (and sadly heard way too much by them over the years mainly thanks to Radio 1!), yet they release album after album and keep going on and on and on… Am I the only person that doesn't seem to quite get this?

I see U2 have come in for some criticism on this thread though… Fair to say that a couple of their albums haven't been worthy of the hype, but then look back at projects like the Joshua Tree, and Rattle and Hum, and you'd have to eat your words if you had labelled them overhyped! Bono may not be everyones cup of tea, and he undoubtedly has the ability to come across as a rather hostile charity worker trying to make the world guilty if they haven't pledged their life savings to an African Family all too often, but the band have created some all time great Albums over the years gone by.

Anything off any reality TV or Talent Show doesn't count here… Why? Cos I take it as a given that if they guy/girl/group has to rely on the unwitted massed watching car crash TV on a Saturday night peddled by the biggest Shark of them all, Mr. Simon Cowell, that they are totally overhyped crap not worthy of the airtime they get. Even Coldplay have had someone discover them (even if that guy was tone deaf), to have to "be discovered" by some bilge talent show, then get 5 minutes of fame singing a song that was written and recorded first by someone significantly more talented (even more ironic this year given that the song was stolen from a 16 year old American Girl!) is quite simply breathtakingly piss poor. If they were any good in the first place they'd have got off their arses, gone and spoken to a few record producers and tried to start something of their own long before Mr. Cowell should happen across their sorry tale…

roundwheels
    Free Member

samuri – Member
    So we're all agreed that U2 are overrated and need to be shot (into space preferably)

if you did this we would get atacked by aliens and blow up the planet
    and as for coldplay just go and Fu** right off
    rnb is also the worst music posible

mudshark
    Free Member

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's over-rated – you just don't get it…maybe…. I suppose those bands/artists considered to be in the top few of all time must be considered over-rated by many as not everyone can get them.

I saw RHCP before they were big here ('89) so I liked that they later had a few hits but now they're mainstream I suppose which is a shame.

I suppose some can't get past Dylan's voice but for those with less simple tastes there is a lot to admire – obviously really because it's all about his music with him.

As for anyone thinking Zappa is boring, well I assume you haven't listened to much of his stuff – the variety is wider than anyone elses by far so boring doesn't make sense; in terms of musical skill pretty much at the top and comparable to classical composers as well as rock artists.

HeathenWoods
    Free Member

As for anyone thinking Zappa is boring, well I assume you haven't listened to much of his stuff

Well, no, sadly, I have suffered his crap round at mates' houses. The dreary doowop/rock'n'roll/flower power/etc pastiches, the sixth form jazz/classical pretentions that all turn into the same boring fretboard ****. Zappa is the musical equivalent of a 'You Don't Have To Be Mad To Work Here…' sticker.

The Clash were a spent force after the first album.

I never quite saw the fuss over Nirvana; they were pretty middle of the road musically and lyrically so I guess a lot of it must have been image?

U2. Horrid.

At the moment Arctic Monkeys, Killers, Kaiser Chiefs.. jeez. Plodding generic McIndie. No ta.

sc-xc

I saw RHCP before they were big here ('89) so I liked that they later had a few hits but now they're mainstream I suppose which is a shame.

I don't get this. I saw them in 89/90 – and my opinions haven't changed (shite then, shite now). Why is it a shame when a band becomes mainstream? You either like it or you don't.

…which sums up music really. You either like it or you don't. No worries.

ononeorange

Robbie Williams (does he count?).

And +1 for Bruce Springsteen ("tedious shouty").

langy
    Free Member

The Beatles.

Someone was saying how special they were etc, and, yes, the White Album is very good and very unique and was groundbreaking in the way is wasn't any one thing, but was what the four of them (well maybe except Ringo, but that a whole other story…) liked regardless of how it fit their 'image'. However, much of their other work was not special, but marketed well – they are unique in that they were one of the first – and certainly the first successfully – marketed 'boy bands'. As such, the lessons learnt from their success is still being seen within the music industry to this day. However, many of the records they produced, although popular at the time, are overrated in retrospect.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Most Overrated Band(s) ?’ is closed to new replies.