Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Riding bucket list, your input please
  • mrchrist

Hi,

After another ace ride in the lakes at the weekend I am keen to do more big days out so my friends and I are creating a bucket list of rides to do before the march of time and family commitments take heed.

I live in Yorkshire so am really interested in routes in North Wales, North England and Scotland.

Here is what I have so far:

North Wales
    Drum Mountain, Carnedd Daffyd and Llyn Cowlyd
    Pont Secthin with an extension over to coed –y-brenin (dry spell only)
    Snowdon – Llanberis and rangers path loop

Lakes
    Skiddaw and ullock pike
    Tour of great gable
    High Street
    Garburn pass, Nan bield and haweswater

Scotland – Where do you start?
    More of torridon
    Ben A’an
    Devils stair case and ciaren path
    Ben Lomond
    Highland way

Anyone care to add to this list, suggestion and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Christian

wl
    Free Member

Add Helvellyn summit (various routes up & down) and Warnscale (descent) to Lakes. And do just one trip overseas to hit Verbier with http://www.bikeverbier.com

Northwind

It’s officially a classic but I didn’t rate the ciaran path that highly, it’s got a couple of really good bits but I’d much rather nip over the valley and do the descents off the mamore lodge road. Though they do lack the dam as a touristy highpoint

mrchrist

Thanks @Northwind – is the mamore lodge part of the highland way? Think i may have ridden up a bit of that when doing the ciren path.

mrchrist

@wl – yep did walnar road on sat…AMAZING!!! Will add helvellyn ta.

wl
    Free Member

mrchrist – think that’s a different trail. I’m on about the descent from Honister slate quarry (way above the visitor centre) down to Buttermere. A UK classic – one long, sketchy rock garden. Think it’s marked Warnscale on maps. Add Rossett Ghyll too, if you like a challenge.

footflaps

Three passes in the Lakes – Nan Bield, Gatescarth, Garburn

Carrying up Nan-Bield Pass by brf, on Flickr

Liz descending Nan-Bield by brf, on Flickr

mrchrist

mrchrist – think that’s a different trail. I’m on about the descent from Honister slate quarry (way above the visitor centre) down to Buttermere. A UK classic – one long, sketchy rock garden. Think it’s marked Warnscale on maps.

Ah OK, done that as well, very good. nice view down to Buttermere.

Need to figure out a descent loop for Rosset Ghyll, will add to list.

Cheers.

mrchrist

@footflaps – yes did that earlier in the year, very good day out.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’m on about the descent from Honister slate quarry (way above the visitor centre) down to Buttermere

AKA Fleetwith Pike?

Amazing descent, looking forward to having another go at it.

geetee1972
    Free Member

You could probably take High Street off your list. It’s a fabulous setting but honestly the riding is rubbish especially given the effort. You also need to ride it when it’s bone dry (otherwise long sections are just a bog) and when it’s a perfect day (otherwise the views, which are the only reason to say you’ve done it aren’t much of a view).

The only saving grace is that most routes finish off with the Ulswater single track at the end, which is about one of the best bits of single track in the UK. Otherwise it’s just a massive (and I really do mean massive) drag to the top and then broad open moorland riding with no features or turns or anything of interest. Just a long grassy slog.

Did the three passes, Garburn, Gatesgarth and Nan Bield, two weeks ago and it’s brilliant. Just brilliant.

wl
    Free Member

chaka – I might be wrong, but I think it goes around the back of Fleetwith Pike, and Fleetwith Pike is actually a super-steep (possibly unridable) trail that comes down to the left of Warnscale as you look back up Warnscale from the bottom. Warnscale isn’t really super steep, but it is very rocky, with a couple of tricky bits. To reach it you climb up from the visitor centre, veer left at the top, go through the quarry and pass a ruined tin shed on your right, then start to descend for maybe 100 yards on the wide gravel/slate 4×4 track, then peel off on a rocky bridleway on your right. Trails goes all the way to Buttermere with just one prominent right-hand bend about halfway down. I’m crap with maps and technology, or I’d post a link.

wl
    Free Member

Another classic to add is ‘Four Passes’ – Warnscale, Scarth Gap, Black Sail and Sty Head to Seathwaite. Basically 4 monster carries, earning you 4 of the UK’s best and longest downhills (Scarth Gap is actually just ok, rest are superb). Big day out tho.

chakaping
    Free Member

we are talking about the same trail I reckon WL

only going on what my pal who was leading the ride called it

OP – I’d add the Borrowdale Bash too while you’re over Keswick way if you’ve not ridden it, nice half-day-ish ride with some really good fun sections

mrchrist

yep borrowdale bash has been done, great route. will do it again maybe that in the am and skiddaw in the evening….

geetee1972
    Free Member

Another classic to add is ‘Four Passes’ – Warnscale, Scarth Gap, Black Sail and Sty Head to Seathwaite. Basically 4 monster carries, earning you 4 of the UK’s best and longest downhills (Scarth Gap is actually just ok, rest are superb). Big day out tho.

I think that’s the Tour of Great Gable isn’t it?

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Why restrict yourself to the north? Hell why restrict yourself to the UK?

A day in the Surrey Hills following someone who knows the good stuff is a completely different cup of tea to rock bashing in the Lakes, but equally as fun (I say this as a proud resident of Yorkshire with the Peaks on my doorstep).

Long Mynd on a hot summer’s day.

Then there’s abroad. Les Arcs, Molini, Chamonix, Vancouver, Utah, yadayada…

plumber
    Free Member

Bingley Bash as you’re in the area

lots of fantastic alternative routes along the way

wl
    Free Member

geetee – quite possibly. Only done the full thing once but I’ll be doing it again. Shame most the climbs aren’t ridable, but it’s still worth it. Think it took us about 8 hours to do 13 miles, or something like that. All legal, too.

chaka – you’re probably right. Different folk have different names for it, I think. Fleetwith makes sense. I bet they’ll bulldoze it for walkers eventually.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Clive Powell “Dirty Weekend” including a great, unsung, fun downhill section – “The Golf Links” above Rhayader.

large418
    Free Member

I would (have) loved to do the Lakeland 200, but after Mondays ride I now am thinking of a Flatland 20

chakaping
    Free Member

A day in the Surrey Hills following someone who knows the good stuff

Yes. One of my best day’s riding last year was exactly that.

Try to do it on a weekday in the summer, in dry conditions – and finish with a pint. Mmmmm.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I’d agree with JonEdwards that you’re missing out by restricting yourself to the North. To further address the northern bias (exiled Northerner here), I’d also suggest a weekend taking in a few South West options. A long weekend could easily take in the following:

A day taking in the best of the Quantocks combes
    An epic Exmoor loop
    East Dartmoor singletrack and granite

tomd
    Free Member

Scotland wise, just some that I’ve done that you could add to the list:

– Torridon, big loop taking in Coire Laire
    – Skye, Glen Sligachan
    – Skye, Durnish Peninsula loop
    – Ben Alder loop, starting from Dalwhinnie

Although Scotland bound these days I’ve been lucky enough to do a fair bit of riding on Exemoor, Quantocks and Dartmoor. I’d rate some of the big rides I’ve done around there very highly, Exemoor especially. Well worth a trip down for a long weekend.

Junkyard
    Free Member

You could probably take High Street off your list. It’s a fabulous setting but honestly the riding is rubbish especially given the effort

ITs not gnar but the views are awesome so it should be on a bucket list IMHO

Its also not that hard to get up [ carry like]

Done many of these except the bucket scrapping southern shandy routes 😉

footflaps

High Street isn’t the toughest riding, but the scenery and views are amazing:

Gareth on High Street by brf, on Flickr

MrWoppit
    Free Member

The Golf Links:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fal4mY-GuU4[/video]

dave360

Laddow Rocks?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Some bucket scraping southern shandy routes to inspire! 😉

freeridenick
    Free Member

This

Why restrict yourself to the north? Hell why restrict yourself to the UK?

A day in the Surrey Hills following someone who knows the good stuff is a completely different cup of tea to rock bashing in the Lakes, but equally as fun (I say this as a proud resident of Yorkshire with the Peaks on my doorstep

and this

A day taking in the best of the Quantocks combes
    An epic Exmoor loop
    East Dartmoor singletrack and granite

It wouldn’t be a UK bucket list otherwise….

bikebouy
    Free Member

Santiago de Compostela is the destination for all the Camino routes; you can walk, cycle, or even ride these walking paths.

I want to do this. After listening to a 72yr old roadie the other week chatting, no enthusing, about it.

oxym0r0n

Woah – weird 90s jacket/San Andreas modern day fusion^

+1 long mynd not too far from lakes

Worldwide: lots of south west UK/Colorado/alpine/new Zealand trails

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

lots:

Long mynd
    TransExmoor
    Gower
    The World Cup DH track on Aonach Mor
    Tour of Ben Nevis
    Ben Lomond
    TransWales
    Rangers Path
    Big ass lakes 2 dayer
    Zermatt
    Garda

doubledunter
    Free Member

Scotland wise, just some that I’ve done that you could add to the list:

– Skye, Glen Sligachan

Again, classed as a classic, nothing but a relentless slog imo, very over rated, never been so disappointed in my life I dont think 😕

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘Riding bucket list, your input please’ is closed to new replies.