Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Riding & bike clubs near Reading ???????????????
  • swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

A new jobs means that I am moving from West Yorkshire to Reading. Tres sad to be leaving an area with bucket loads of great riding, but fairly excited at the prospect of new rides in a new area.

Can anybody point me in the direction of some great mountain bike rides around or near Reading (Chilterns ?) and any good clubs ?

Ta

njee20
    Free Member

Swinley Forest's the obvious choice, there's tonnes in there. RATZ is the club that springs to mind, if they're still running!

mtbfix

The CTC off road group head out twice a week. There are a few local shops running evening rides. Swinley and the Chilterns have plenty to offer and access to south Wales is fair. Yorks. it ain't though.

jeff

Mountain-trax Localish high end bike shop

Tunnel Hill Trolls Er, Tunnel Hill area

Gorrick XC races and Trail Trax event in the region. Great courses, good for learning new routes/areas.

Berks on Bikes Swinley forest riders / trail maintainers.

RAT MBC Don't know too much about them, but they have a great XC course at checkenden.

Sorted!

njee20
    Free Member

Aah yes, you're not too far from THT, they're a top bunch of guys who do loads of rides.

johnny

I'm crap at doing links so I won't bother; There's plenty of riding to be had here, a tad more domesticated than West yorks though!

The bits listed by jeff above are mainly focussed around the south of Reading, apart from the RATZ; they organise a series of local races mainly. There's plenty of riding to be had in the Chilterns as well: regular night rides go from:

Mountain High (bike shop in Pangbourne)

Trailjunkies (Bikeshop in West Berks)

All merely an internet search away… send me an email if you're looking for a bimble around when you get here!?

ddmonkey

There's Aston Hill, Swinley, yes Ratz still going, also not that far to get to Dorking and Leith Hill area which is ace. Further north are Woburn and Chicksands if you like that kind of thing. Chilterns are great for meandering rides with pub stops, but not in winter unless you like very very sticky mud.

cookeaa

I’ve lived in Reading for almost 4 years now and never bothered to join a club or go on local organised rides(Maybe I should..), anyway I tend to do my own thing, there’s plenty about though, an Annual Swinley pass is pretty cheap, you’re not far from the Chilterns, and there’s the odd bit of woodland closer to Reading…

swisstonyswiss
    Free Member

Thanks chaps for the replies.

I am aware that i have been spoilt living up here as the riding is ace and places like Ilkley Moor are only a 15 mins ride from my door.

Not to worry though as it sounds as if there is plenty to do near Reading and the one consolation is that i am 240 miles closer to the Alps !

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Riding & bike clubs near Reading ???????????????’ is closed to new replies.