Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rides Around Whitby
  • pistonbroke
    Free Member

Group of us going to the YH in Whitby next month, looking for a decent 30-35 mile off road ride from the centre of town. Some are relatively inexperienced and we don’t particularly want a mudfest. Obviously we’ll keep an eye on preceeding weather but are there any good all weather trails around Fylingdales, I’ve heard Lila Howe can be very boggy? There seem to be several bridleways across the moor, which ones are ridable at this time of year? Local knowledge would be gratefully received.

neninja
    Free Member

You could get the North York Moors railway to Pickering from Whitby town centre and then ride back or ride to Pickering and get the steam train back.

There are routes for both directions in Mountain Bike Trails North Yorkshire.

SaxonRider

Watch out for black dogs.

wors

ride down the steps from the abbey to the harbour.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Really appreciate the help. The Railway isn’t open in November, Abbey to Harbour is slghtly less than 35 miles and SaxonRider, good point well made. Any actual knowledge of Fylingdales tracks out there?

neninja
    Free Member

Shame about the railway being closed.

Some of the stuff round Levisham/Hole of Horcum/Fylingdales can get properly muddy.

You might get more help asking on – http://www.mtbe.co.uk/index.php

HansRey

id be tempted to ride around Fylingdales, then head to Robin Hoods bay for a beer and then back along the old railway line (along the cliffs) back to Whitby.

You can always try cheeky routes around Goathland, Grosmont, Danby… or check out Rosedale (i hear there’s a bike centre there now). The bridleways around goathland, and the moorland, get very boggy when it rains, which is a shame because I think it’s great riding there.

If you do go to Goathland, try the route from behind to railway station to Darnholm, and then take that north to Whitby. There are lots of routes back to whitby, but they probably aren’t marked on a map. They’ll be used by the hunts, games keeps and so on…

When i was a kid, i’d ride from whitby to Falling Foss. Some nice riding there, though i don’t know whether it’s legal or not.

chestrockwell

Did an ace route starting from Goathland with the retrobike lads a while back. Started by climbing a great big hill at the far end of the village (coming from the Whitby side). Can’t remember the route exactly but if you start from there and follow the bw’s towards Pickering you won’t go far wrong. Always Dalby close by as well.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rides Around Whitby’ is closed to new replies.