Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Rides around Newbury?
  • dafoxster
    Free Member

I'm moving to Newbury next week and I'm wondering where the best places to ride are? I know the Ridgeway but anywhere south I don't have a clue.

Also does anybody know of any group rides in the area?

grahamh
    Free Member
    Coyote
    Free Member

There's a stakepark that's really popular.

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

I do a small group ride from Andover on a Tuesday night which is usually about 25-30 miles.
    Riding around that area (that I know of) is mainly bridleways. Great views but not very technical.
    You could enter The Hot Mountain Bike Challenge which starts from Vernham Dean. It will give you an idea of the area.
    I'm currently doing long rides at the weekend at the moment of 45 plus miles which is generally an exploration of the area. You're more than welcome to join me if you fancy it.

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

Could be worth trying to contact Cinnamon Girl as she has routes mapped all over the place in your surrounding area. My parents place is 15 minutes west of Newbury, so i'm up there pretty often.

Mulletus up there ^ could show you plenty of stuff between Newbury and Andover that's pretty good.

dafoxster
    Free Member

Thanks for the information so far. I'm hoping to enter the Hot Challenge but being made to travel with work so may not get to.

Not quite up to 45 miles but give me a few months 🙂

podman
    Free Member

I live nearby and work in Newbury. If you're after somewhere quiet to ride then explore Greenham Common, there's some nice singletrack (ableit no much) if you stick around the perimeter, and it's rideable from anywhere in Newbury.

Swinley's not too far, you've got Wayfarers walk to the south, South Downs Way starts at Winchester, and Micheldever/ Black Wood near Winch too. There was also a proposal for a mtb centre at Farley Mount, again near Winchester, but I'm not sure what's happening with that at the moment.

C_G is definately the lady to speak to regarding routes around the area, she gave me some brilliant advice a year or so ago 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the nice words. 8)

Always happy to help with routes!

keva rides that area, he's pretty swift mind 😉

gusamc
    Free Member

I'd get the local OS Maps (50,000 should do)

lots of bits between Swindon/Marlborough/Avebury
    S Kingsclere, then Basingstoke
    N towards ridgeway has a lot as well
    Reading/Chilters.

See http://www3.hants.gov.uk/cycling/cycling-maps-leaflets.htm which is vaguely local

Canal is a pleasant bimble (train can be used as well), architecture near Bradford On Avon is pretty impressive.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Rides around Newbury?’ is closed to new replies.