• This topic has 25 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by gamo.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Riders with Flow rims what tyres you using?
  • rich-6
    Free Member

as above, I was just abouts to get myself some 2.35 High rollers 60a from the LBS with the kevlar bead today, and thought its probrably a good idea to ask what others are running first, so i know what work well.

My understanding is the no tubes stans rims with yellow tape allow me to use any tyre not just tubeless with sealent and run without tubes? obviously some will be better than others so what do you suggest?

matthew_h
    Free Member

I was running a pair of those High Rollers on Flows and they were fine. Now using 2.4 Advantages and they seem very good so far.

zangolin
    Free Member

2 pairs of Flows both run tubeless with yellow tape + Stans' sealent

XC bike – Minion single ply

DH bike – Minion DP UST

No problems inflating + sealed ok with normal track pump. Tiny amount of sealent sweating through walls on the single ply – but stopped after a few days.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    grumm
    Free Member

Bonrager Big Earls 2.5s – non tubeless but they inflated very easily. I like em, similar feel to HRs really I think.

vikingboy
    Free Member

2.4 ardent up front, 2.2 ardent rear

hitman
    Free Member

minions and high rollers – great tyres so far but had puncture on rear third time out!
    going tubeless today

dreednya

Non-UST 2.2 Rubber queens with black chilli compound run with stans strip and sealant and at 25-28 psi. Awesome grip and rolling and lightweight to boot :o).

Swiftacular
    Free Member

2.25 UST Nobby Nic/Racing Ralph combo.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

fitted some 2.3 UST Vertical pros to a mates bike recently, as CRC had them on offer recently.

Used 3M tape, Stans valve and some sealant.

racing_ralph
    Free Member

2.35 dtc non-ust nevegals

seem fine all over

scaredypants

seems to me there's 2 main differences between tubeless & non-tubeless tyres:

tubeless are a bit heavier – more rubber in the carcass. I use tubeless for cuts/thorns so I see it as a good thing; if you race & don't have flinty terrain you might disagree

the "foot" of the bead seems a lot wider on tubeless. I reckon this allows easier sealing & less likely to burp/dislodge

but I dunno much

judderman
    Free Member

Rocket Ron non-tubeless on front, Smart Sam tubeless on rear with stans strip,sealant & valves.

bear-uk
    Free Member

Bonty Mud X on front
    Panaracer Trailraker on rear
    Both using Stans tape and milk, no problems yet.

goodgrief
    Free Member

i was using a single ply minion 2.35 maxxpro kevlar but had a couple of nasty blow-outs on the front which took the tyre off the rim, i don't think the kevlar bead is tight enough to keep it on the rim for "enthusiastic" riding without a tube to support it. been using it with a tube for a while now with no further problems.
    i'm new to this tubeless lark so feel free to write off my experience but it just seems too much of a coincidence that the same thing would happen in a short time space where i would expect a tubed tyre to stay put.

unsponsored
    Free Member

2.2 Rubber Queens UST version.

afmell
    Free Member

I tried the 2.4 Rubber Queens (UST I think) on Flows tubeless last year, but the rear blew off the rim first time, so I would advise against (plus they're larger than tractor tyres, which may have caused the problem as the stans rims do have a reduced rim height). I'd also advise against the lighter Kenda Nevegals – almost gave up on tubeless as they never stopped leaking through the sidewalls.

No problems with High Rollers, the LUST ones are very nice, and the non-UST ones usually seal pretty quickly.

Andy

fuzzhead
    Free Member

High Roller 2.5 SP on front, Crossmark 2.25 on rear

rich-6
    Free Member

Just stuck some high rollers on tonight, Sealed up lovely. Admittedly i stuck a tube in first to get one bead to seat, but the second wheel i just removed the core and hit it with the blow gun straight down the valve, pop pop pop smiles!

They've been holding air for a good 5 hours now i've kept flipping them over just to make sure its all fine, sealed etc. I'm very surprised how stable they are on the rims to, to be honest, I've got circa 35psi in them both and they are a lot more stable on the rims than my contis with tubes in on my 719s. Thats just testing it with my hand bud i cant see why it'd be no different riding, Ive tried to bend the tyre off the rim and get it to burp but it wasnt happening 😆

votchy
    Free Member

2.3 Blue groove on the front, 2.3 nevegal on the rear, both DTC and both non ust, both kevlar beads run with the rubber rim strip and stans and no probs in 6 months so far.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I tried non-ust maxxis on my stans with the yellow tape, and couldn't get them to stop pissing sealant from around the bead. Got the flow specific rubber rim strips to try again, and that didn't help either. I have michelins on now, and they're dandy.

Sandwich

Old school conti vert pros in UST flavour run at 45psi do all I want.

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Bontrager mud-x 2.0 in winter or acx 2.2s for the small window of summer in the middle.

biking_jk
    Free Member

Loving the maxxis advantage LUST 2.1's and I'm damn quick up and down – these tyres rule… 2.1 is more like 2.25 for tubelsess.

Must get another one to replace my panarecer on the front.

chunkypaul
    Free Member

big earl wet tubeless ready 2.35's – fitted very easy with yellow tape and a bit of wheel milk, no mess at all

bargin price as well for the tyres from je james

Onzadog
    Free Member

agree with biking_jk, the ADvantage Lust 2.1 come up pretty wide and seem to be a really good tyre. I tried the exception version on the Flow rim with yellow tape and had a couple of roll offs. I was probably taking the p155 a bit with that!

gamo
    Free Member

2.35 sp kevlar bead highrollers, flow rimsrips no probs!

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Riders with Flow rims what tyres you using?’ is closed to new replies.