Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Reversed Brakes
  • jameswhitty
    Free Member

Hi,

Just ordered a bike from one of the large online stores – I won’t name them for now!

Got the bike and the brake levers were set up in the reverse way to the UK (i.e. Rear brake lever on the right, front brake on the left).

Anyone else had this problem ordering a bike online? What would your thoughts be?

Just want to check I’m not over reacting being a bit annoyed. (They’re Avid Juicys so I’d have to cut hoses and re-bleed to sort it out).

Reasonable to ask the shop in question to put it right?

stratobiker
    Free Member

Set up as American? Most of Europe ride with the brakes that way round.

SB

fadda

Cut hoses? Can you not just swap the levers over with juicys?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Amos
    Free Member

Yeah the Europeans run them the other way round too, so when we were testing at Paul Ricard circuit in france Ralph Schumacher decided he was going to cycle back down the mountain to his hotel after testing. Unfortunately me and the hydraulics technician had had a go on the BMW designed bike and decided the brakes were wrong so did the old switcheroo during the day. Ralph reported a rather close scrape while descending as the **** brakes were the wrong way round 😉

starsh78
    Free Member

I thought these were flip-flop like most of the Avid range!

HermanShake
    Free Member

Juicy levers are pretty symmetrical aside from the adjusters on the higher end models. Just flip em over and swap the hoses when you eventually need to bleed them.

argoose
    Free Member

yeah mine were arfse bout tit from on one

tree-magnet
    Free Member

As above, Juicys can be run either way up. If they’re juicy 3s you’ll have to take the grips off to swap them. If they’re 5’s and up just undo both bolts and swap them over. If they have the bite point adjuster this can be swapped to the top of the brake by just undoing the circlip on the opposite side and pulling the adjuster out. Put it back in the top and put the circlip back on.

No need to take the hoses off.

julianwilson
    Free Member

Juicy levers are fine either way up. And a bit of a faff to bleed!
    Just undo them and put them back on the other way round. 5’s and above have a split clamp too so you don’t even need to take the grips off.

If the aren’t split clamp ones, you can remove and then put the clamp bolt in the other way up so it still faces up when you swap the levers over.

If they are the split clamp ones, remember to do one bolt all the way up and then tighten the other one: I forget which way round it is (there is an arrow forged into the clamp) so check which end of the arrow on the clamp is done all the way up (no gap between clamp and main lever body) before you remove it.

Oh and happy new bike! 😀

jameswhitty
    Free Member

Ah, I feel a tad silly now. Didn’t realise the levers were fine either way up.

Last hydraulic disc brakes I fiddled around with were Mono Minis about 5 years ago!

Thanks for the replies. :o)

JAG

My last new bike came set up like the OP’s.

I took it back to the shop for it’s free service after 6 weeks and had the shop mechanic swop them over.

I’ve spent years riding motorbikes and I’m too used to having my front brake on my RH grip.

HermanShake
    Free Member

Ah, I feel a tad sillyrelieved I don’t need to fix my brakes now.

FTFY

baznav73
    Free Member

On a serious note all bikes supplied from uk dealers should have the brakes setup the correct way round to conform to british standards.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I did a whole ride in the US with the brakes the wrong way round and when i got back i realised that since they were cables i could have just popped them out the levers and swapped them over in 10 seconds. d’oh.

belugabob
    Free Member

I hired a bike,for a guided ride in mallorca and, because the ride started with a 2 mile climb, I had a rather interesting moment on the first steep descent, when I realised the brakes were the other way round 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Reversed Brakes’ is closed to new replies.