Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)
  • Reverb or Kronolog?
  • rwc03
    Free Member

Anybody else tried one yet? KS LEV on the front page looks like a contender also.

downhilldave

Fitted my Kronolog last week and used it for the first time last Saturday.Works perfectly as you expect. Was very easy to fit,all of 20 mins and 15 mins was working out how to mount the remote underneath the bars on the left hand side 🙄 If you watch the Hans Rey video on the Crank Bros site the free play in the lever and slight slack in the cable are Very simply explained. The cover over the release mech is push fit, and quite snug- don’t think much crap will get in. Was lashing it down Saturday and the bike was minging, but all is clean under the cover. The main reason i got the Kronolog was no loose cable al la Reverb. Only time will tell if it’s going to be reliable. One report on MTBR mentions air pressure loss, then say’s it Ok after being pumped up a few times. Any questions please ask. £211 from H@S discount in Germany by the way.

passtherizla
    Free Member

got to say having received a reverb, it’s nice. had to shorten the hose, piece of cake, and then bleed, also piece of cake probably took me an hour with faffing and being overly careful triple checking… Much smoother and easier to get down than the original DSP post I had (which was fantatstic) and has slightly more drop so its win win for the reverb from my point of view…

jedi

im loving my reverb! i wish it had a lower collar though

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Kronolog out on the trail today and all good, very happy with it.

rudedog
    Free Member

Love my Reverb too – can’t fault it.

organic355
    Free Member

Sorry to resurrect a thread, but any updates on opinions to this?

Kronolog vs reverb?

LoCo
    Free Member

Out of those two Reverb. DSP Racing gen.2 still in testing/development. Should be a month or two.

wrecker
    Free Member

Kronolog vs reverb?

You’d need to be a post-lobotomy patient to buy a crank brothers….anything.
    The reverb mkII has been good so far. I would have got a KS LEV but there weren’t any in Germany when I wanted/needed to buy. That’s where my money would go (if available).

Onzadog
    Free Member

When is the reverb stealth coming out?

FuzzyWuzzy

KS Lev was my choice (from Wiggle with a 10% off code).

Onzadog
    Free Member

Why no 27.2?

wrecker
    Free Member

KS Lev was my choice (from Wiggle with a 10% off code).

Still pricey fuzzy. Who set UK pricing for this kit?
    Is it superstar components? That would make sense.
    Euro 269 (£211)
    $375 (£239)
    0r…….£325
    They can **** themselves when I can get a reverb from germany for £180. Would have spent the extra £60-odd for one from europe though

LoCo
    Free Member

27.2″ post don’t have a huge amount of room inside, giving issues with having the post strong enough (wall thickness) and space to fit the internal gubbins.

Onzadog
    Free Member

But ks are listing the lev in 27.2 albeit in a reduced drop.

organic355
    Free Member

what is a reverb Stealth is that just a 2013 reverb, or is it different other than being all black?

stumpy01

Think the reverb stealth has the cable exiting the bottom of the post, instead of a length of cable flapping around.

wwaswas

as per stumpy01 – stealth needs a hole in your frame to feed the hose into the bottom of the post.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Indeed. I want zero cable growth.

LoCo
    Free Member

Yes Onza, various manufacturers do offer the 27.2″ was making the point that from an ‘packaging’ point of view they’re a PITA which can also lead to reduced reliabilty and more fiddly servicing.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I appreciate the increased engineering difficulty of it, both in terms of space and loading. Just wonder why people list them but then they’re so hard to get hold of. At least reverb is a simple straight forward no with regards to 27.2

By the way, the new bighorn, will they be zero cable growth? And 27.2″?

wrecker
    Free Member

There is no way anything that looks like that is going on my bike.
    It doesn’t look zero growth, in fact it offers nothing that the KS posts don’t. They’ll struggle with it unless it’s cheap IMHO.

LoCo
    Free Member

Bighorn 27.2″ has never been released, due to various reasons, again a new version is in development, as with the 30.9 and 31.6″.

I’m still waiting for details of the cable spec. from DSP, I’d certainly like to see one.

hunta

KS Lev is in stock at Wiggle in 30.9 and 31.6, and 10% off this weekend. Just ordered mine…

honourablegeorge

organic355 – Member
    Sorry to resurrect a thread, but any updates on opinions to this?

Kronolog vs reverb?

Read the long term reviews of the Kronolog – Bikerumor/Bikeradar and Pinkbike, I thunk – all slated it.

It’s a fundamentally shit flawed design. Has an aliminium knurled plate along the lenght of the shaft. Two steel pins dig in to the plate – hard steel with your weight sat on top digging into soft aluminium – the plate weara away in no time.

Which might not be a bad thing mind, as that knurled plate comes up above the seal, so it can fill with mud, and brings that mud back down underneath the seal.

Not to mention that dirty, knurled surface wearing away at the seal every time you raise and lower the post, and as the steel pins dig into it, the damaged surface will probably wear the surface even more.

As for that cover over the pins – it fell off during one of those reviews.

honourablegeorge

Here you go – the collected bad news on the Kronolog.

The knurled surface wearing out

Metal shavings that were below the seal

http://www.bikerumor.com/2012/05/10/review-crank-brothers-kronolog-dropper-post-weighed-dismantled-ridden/

Same damage on Bikeradar’s review:

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/seat-post-seat-pin/product/review-crank-brothers-kronolog-46205

Then the wheels – or rather the cable-clamp cover –came off. We lost it somewhere out on the trail, which exposed the sharp internals to our legs and the elements.

The former presented immediate issue, but we didn’t expect any contamination of the post due to our hot and dry Colorado spring testing conditions. We were wrong. The post’s up-down action has deteriorated – something we attribute to the fact that, as it isn’t hydraulic, it uses grease versus an oil bath for lubrication.

And Pinkbike – SNAP

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Crankbrother-Kronolog-Telescoping-Seat-Post-Tested-2012.html

GavinB

So has anyone actually got real-life experience of this happening on their Kronolog post?

A rearward facing knurled surface should be fine for UK conditions, no? 🙄

wrecker
    Free Member

So has anyone actually got real-life experience of this happening on their Kronolog post?

Don’t think there’s been any stupid enough to buy one.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just taken delivery of a Reverb 2012 with all the bits and bleed kit for E208.99 + E9.90 p&p, it equated to approx £170.

LoCo
    Free Member

B.A.Nana, tell everyone where you got it then 😉

downhilldave

A follow up to my previous post and it’s not good news at all. The post started to slip after a few rides, 5mm at first then about 25mm. Contacted Crank Bros in the States who said get in touch with 2pure the Uk distributors. They agreed to have a look at it even though it was from Germany. They said my set up was ok ( free play in cable as it should be) and replaced the jammer plates and cable. Took them two weeks though. When I got it back if you pushed the seat it dropped two to three mm. I queried this and they contacted Crank Bros who said this was ok. First ride and the post started to drop immediately , eventually dropping 35mm in all. I got back in touch and they said they would ask CB what to do. They also said I should maybe send the post back to Germany for a refund. Two weeks later and nothing from 2pure. DO NOT buy a Kronolog total waste of money with major design flaws and problems. I would not buy ANY Crank Bros products in the future. You have been warned.

downhilldave

A follow up to my previous post and it’s not good news at all. The post started to slip after a few rides, 5mm at first then about 25mm. Contacted Crank Bros in the States who said get in touch with 2pure the Uk distributors. They agreed to have a look at it even though it was from Germany. They said my set up was ok ( free play in cable as it should be) and replaced the jammer plates and cable. Took them two weeks though. When I got it back if you pushed the seat it dropped two to three mm. I queried this and they contacted Crank Bros who said this was ok. First ride and the post started to drop immediately , eventually dropping 35mm in all. I got back in touch and they said they would ask CB what to do. They also said I should maybe send the post back to Germany for a refund. Two weeks later and nothing from 2pure. DO NOT buy a Kronolog total waste of money with major design flaws and problems. I would not buy ANY Crank Bros products in the future. You have been warned.

downhilldave

Oops double post

Kahurangi

Oops double post

Nae bother, it was worth saying twice 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

Yeah any post that states don’t buy a CB product is worth posting twice so they don’t claim any more victims. Still, I have to wonder why you bothered buying one in the first place given all the negativity they get…

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mallets & Candys are still great though, and the multi tool

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

LoCo

http://www.hibike.de/shop/catalog/tn/m-1/g-1/n95/c1/Seat-Posts.html
    took three working days, I bought other stuff as well so can’t tell you exactly how much it cost, but approx £170 (roughly worked out off my bank statement). I paid by paypal, so that could have had a bearing on the exchange rate I was given, I don’t know (I was expecting it to be nearer £160).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

LoCo
    I have read on here about some/a german website doing weekend specials at 199.99Euro. Can’t recall who tho.

GavinB

Thanks for sharing that DHDave, good to hear some real-world experiences, and it sounds like you’ve got exactly the issue that all the mags got when they tested it.

droppinneutron
    Free Member

To be fair to crank bros it seems like its only their spectactularly failed foray into dropper posts that went wrong – oh and the freehubs in their fancy wheels – and the crap flat pedals they make.

Apart from that they seem like every other bike component company. Only three times the price.

Got my Joplin4 over a year ago, second hand, been away once for a refurb – about 20 degrees of side to side play in it, and needs a new cable (Wilko’s, 92p by the way) every fifteen minutes but apart from that, its alright.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Reverb or Kronolog?’ is closed to new replies.