Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Revelations leaking oil – what have I done wrong?
  • ononeorange

Just about to take the bike away and so I gave the Revelations a service (their first) a little while ago. Just went back to the bike and where it’s been standing up vertically there’s a lot of oil poured out of the air side and onto the frame etc.

I need the bike to be really serviceable and so need a quick fix (too late now to send ’em off) – what am I likely to have done wrong? I was careful put the foam seals back in etc.

Any help appreciated!

nuke

standing up vertically

Just to check, upright or upside-down?

Where does it look like oil has been leaking from…there are normally signs?

ononeorange

Sorry that wasn’t clear – the bike was vertical on a wall and it’s dribbled out along the down tube. Enough of a slick that I can’t ignore!

Pretty sure it’s from around the top cap (the one that turns to adjust the travel)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nuke

So effectively the forks were at an angle where the top of the fork would be lower than the bottom?

When upside-down, my RS forks have leaked from both the moco side and the air spring side. I don’t store them upside-down now 😀

Pretty sure it’s from around the top cap (the one that turns to adjust the travel)

So they are u-turn. My Rev U-Turn (2008) leaked out that side. Topped up the oil and they were fine although probably needed a seal replacing to prevent further leaks.

ononeorange

Hmmm Ok – I’ll whip the lowers off again (Madam!) and put some more oil in. It’s about to be packed to go on a plane so I suspect it may look like the Torrey Canyon when it comes off.

Thanks Nuke.

nuke

Worth noting you have to consider where the oil is leaking from. I suspect that it’s oil from the lowers that, when inverted, is seeping down and then out of the top of the u-turn adjuster. The air spring is a separate internal shaft (You can’t just take the top off the air side and put oil in thinking you’re topping up the oil as you be actually topping up the oil in the lowers once it’d seeped down) but I doubt this is leaking.

When you remove the lowers, see if there is less oil in the air side compared with the moco side as they should both have the same volume of oil.

ononeorange

Will do. Just had another look and it really is a slick as it’s all over the BB! The whole down tube is coated. The stanchion is dry.

Job for this afternoon.

Thanks again

ononeorange

Update: They were really shot. All was fine in the lowers but when I re-fitted them residual oil was bubbling out around the U-turn knob and poured out when I had it all back together. In desperation I have “borrowed” a pair of coil Revs and fitted them up this afternoon. A bit low but at least they’re not causing an environmental disaster. The others are off to Dr Loco I think.

nuke

That’s a shame although I still can’t see why it would be a problem unless they were inverted. As said, the internal air shaft is where all the pressure is and it’s important this isn’t losing air pressure or oil via one of the seals or through the valve.

However above the air shaft where the u-turn helix sits and in the lowers, it is not pressurised….as the forks compress they may gurgle as the unpressurised air is compressed (“residual oil was bubbling out”) but I can’t see how it would be a mayor issue unless the fork was inverted. Sounds like a dud seal around the top of the shaft below the valve…I’m sure Loco will be able to resolve it though and, as you say, if it’s about to go on a plane it could make a bit of a mess.

billyboy
    Free Member

Piss poor quality from Rockshox Forks………….AGAIN

I’ve had it from Revs and a Pike, a mate had it from a Reba. TF Tuned reckoned they input some kind of seal when they service them that stops this. With the Revs it seems to have worked….with the Pikes it didn’t stop them from eventually spewing forth their contents over my car.

nuke

I’ve had it from Revs and a Pike, a mate had it from a Reba

I’m presuming you’re talking more of the classic moco side leak. I have the necessary seals to fix the problem but actually, given the fork is rarely inverted, I’ve never bothered installing them. Doesn’t affect performance and, whilst I’d agree RS could have resolved the issue earlier given it’s a common problem on several of their forks, I would hardly call RS forks “piss poor quality” and I currently have 4 RS forks.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Revelations leaking oil – what have I done wrong?’ is closed to new replies.

New deal added to Members Discounts