Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Rev 426 motion control oil leak – any ideas?
  • Rockplough
    Free Member

My forks are leaking a tiny amount of oil which seems to be coming from between the blue compression adjuster and the gold floodgate knob. It’s been happening for about 6 months. Never loads of oil, just a thin layer and it doesn’t seem to affect performance, but it’s annoying. I serviced the forks recently which I hoped would clear it up but it’s still there.

Any ideas on what might be causing it?

nukeproof
    Free Member

Isn’t this a fairly common fault? TF Tuned FAQ…

“Q. Can the leak from the top of my Motion Control be fixed?

A. Yes. During service we replace the Motion Control compression assembly seals with the improved, modified version. ”

clubber
    Free Member

– Running the fork locked out with too much floodgate turned on (so that under big hits the oil pressure rises massively forcing a little out?

– a faulty o-ring?

Hard to say why over the internet. TBH if it’s only a small amound and when you serviced it, it wasn’t missing lots of oil I wouldn’t worry too much about it.

clubber
    Free Member

or just what nukeproof said 🙂

Rockplough
    Free Member

Cheers nuke, how did I miss that? Will get on the phone.

RicB

There’s a very easy fix.

Unscrew the gold floodgate knob anticlockwise until it’s at minimum.

Remove the floodgate knob (0.5mm allen key I think)

Cut a piece of rubber tubing to size, ~3mm long. I found a rubber ferrule seal from an old gear cable set perfect, and simply chopped a 3mm section off the end.

Put the rubber tubing on. The put the gold knob back on. Push down on the gold knob and tighten. Job done.

mieszko
    Free Member

Had same thing on my Reba. It wasn’t enough oil coming out to say that it was serious. It’s probably the small seal on the gold floodgate knob but I’m not sure 🙂

Just checked mine and after a proper ride last weekend not a drop of oil there so somehow it cured itself.

[edit] Too late and not much help with my post anyway 🙂 [edit]

Rockplough
    Free Member

Apparently the leak TF are talking about isn’t this one. Thanks for the tip RicB, I’ll try it.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Rev 426 motion control oil leak – any ideas?’ is closed to new replies.