Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Restless legs
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

Random question – anyone get restless legs when they go to bed? If so anyone know how to stop it?

After I’ve been out on the bike for a day or two after my legs seem to cramp up and spasm when I’m in bed. It annoys the hell out of my wife as it wakes her up.

Stoner
    Free Member

rather than spasm I have to fidget my legs when I go to sleep. Mrs S is very tolerant. I usually just flex out a rhythm with my foot/feet for a few minutes before I can doze off.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

yeah all the time, mate says SIS do something which works wonders to have before sleep called NOCTE have not tried yet but need to

prezet
    Free Member

Yep – get bouts of it on and off. I read it can be due to low potassium or nitrogen. Can’t remember which.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Restless legs can be as a result of a magnesium deficiency iirc. I only get restless legs when i am over tired – they don’t spasm, but i need to fidget a lot. An early night fixes it for me.

Stoner
    Free Member

is it a bona fide condition then? fidgeting your legs at night?

Drac

Restless legs can be as a result of a magnesium deficiency

Ah so we all need to buy a Kirk Revolution.

prezet
    Free Member

is it a bona fide condition then? fidgeting your legs at night?

Yes. Restless Legs Syndrome.

philconsequence
    Free Member

magnesium eh? how can i sneak extra magnesium into mrsconsequence’s diet? her legs spasm even after she’s fallen asleep, often keeping me awake for ages. i imagine its not comfortable for her either!

Stoner
    Free Member

Mild cases of RLS that are not linked to an underlying health condition may not require any treatment other than making a few lifestyle changes, such as:
    *quitting smoking (if you smoke) Done
    *avoiding alcohol and caffeine bollox to that!
    *exercising regularly Done

I shall bear my ailment with a stiff upper lip, and a jiggly foot then 🙂

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Suffered for years, I find if I am fit or unfit I am ok but somewhere in between & its a right pain.

Tonic water seems to work for me, I keep a load of small tins in the fridge & if I am suffering then neck one and am ok soon after

Up to you if you add gin to it, I don’t but that’s only because the misses drinks it if we have some around

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I know how you could sort out a zinc deficiency?

Taking dioralyte should stop any cramping though.

rthomas17
    Free Member
    wwaswas

My wife woke me one night as my legs had been wriggling so much.

I’d been dreaming I was riding the South Downs Way being chased by a huge sheep.

prezet
    Free Member

I find stress brings it out too… try a hot bath before bed, no caffeine or alcohol after 7pm, read a book instead of tv etc.

psychle
    Free Member

Good news, you now have a bonafide medical reason to knock one out before bed 😀

Or get the missus to medicate you… 8) 😉

ratherbeintobago

Milky drink and sudafed? That should sort you out (he said).

Andy

flow
    Free Member

Restless leg syndrome – the cause of restless hand syndrome.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

I get it all the time- its a lack of quinnine..

Try drinking Tonic water- I found it helps massivley…

seosamh77
    Free Member

Never heard of this, I get numb thighs(alot, where i need to move or turn over if sitting or in bed) and occasionally twitchy legs(mostly when i’m really tired). tbh I’ve never really thought much of it as it goes away, pretty regular thing at night for me, more irritating than painful..

IHN

I used to get it loads, seems to be linked to dehydration with me (and gets a lot worse if I’m really tired). In the end I found drinking a pint of water before I go to bed and having a pint of water next to the bed in case I wake up worked wonders.

beej

My pharmacist girlfriend keeps trying to argue that a milky drink and sudafed wouldn’t work, on account of sudafed containing pseudoephedrine, a stimulant.

But what does she know? I’m more likely to believe HMHB.

richmars

rthomas17’s got it right, a classic:

Milky drink and Sudafed
    “That should sort you out”, she said
    As I kicked myself clean out of the bed
    Grazed my restless legs

Homeopathic cures I’ve sought
    All in all they’ve come to naught
    I wish it was some astronaut
    Who had these restless legs

From: Half Man Half Biscuit: Restless Legs – lyrics http://www.chrisrand.com/hmhb/achtung-bono-2005/restless-legs/#ixzz1f6CQsi7L

From: Half Man Half Biscuit: Restless Legs – lyrics http://www.chrisrand.com/hmhb/achtung-bono-2005/restless-legs/#ixzz1f6BuPdUj

restless
    Free Member

I suffer badly with restless legs (hence my user name) 🙂
    I have never found anything that helps for me.

I have been told that tonic water can help because of the quinine.
    Bananas because of the potassium. also try salt.
    Or stretching your legs up the wall.

Let me know if you find a cure 😕

beej

I’ve found that I get them after hard bike rides, not too badly but enough to annoy. Compression/recovery tights do the trick for me.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

After I’ve been out on the bike for a day or two after my legs seem to cramp up and spasm when I’m in bed. It annoys the hell out of my wife as it wakes her up.

At which point you lean over and say, now you’re awake, I’d love a cup of tea.

CountZero

Ah, Half Man Half Biscuit, a song for every occasion, bless ’em. Joy Division Ovengloves is my favourite, but Restless Legs is up there too.

rewski
    Free Member

Try drinking Tonic water

Can I add vodka or gin?

Was awake last night with it after a 15 mile commute in the wind, assumed it was not stretching afterwards. Would compression tights help perhaps?

rewski
    Free Member

NOCTE looks like it might do the trick, might give a satchet a try.

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

Not sure about compression tights, certainly good stretching helps, I find doing a plank up the stairs works at stretching the backs of my legs well for it.

As far as I know no reason not to add gin or vodka to tonic, its the quinine you are after… thats certainly the best fix that I have come across

D0NK

I get it sometimes, stretching my calfs and rotating feet in circles to stretch out lower leg sometimes helps. Bad cases have tio get up have a walk round, cold tiled kitchen floor normally helps too.

Just to be different I normally get it when I haven’t been riding.

menothim
    Free Member

Pick up a tub of magnesium supplements from Boots for about £2.50 and take two when you feel restless legs coming on – that’ll stop them in record quick time. Magnesium is also really good if you suffer lots of headaches.

Be warned – more is not necessarily better. Take three of the pills and you’ll be making a be-line for the bathroom due a rather laxative effect.

toby1

And there I was thinking it was just me all this time. I find after a tough day I can’t stop my legs moving when I do get to rest, usually just before falling asleep and then when asleep also.

bigthunder
    Free Member

I used to find taking the ganja was excellant for relaxing weary/fidgety/restless muscles. Had to pack it in years ago for work though.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

BigThunder – you’re a copper then?

Went and saw my nutritionist today and she said it was mostly and normally down to a magnesium deficiency. Which does make sense as since I;ve dropped the amount I used to take as a supplement it has made it worse. Gonna try taking more and see what happens.

handyman
    Free Member

Nocte works for me, usually i get the restless legs after a big ride or too much manual work, only have one if my legs are restless works pretty quickly to

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Been taking magnesium for a while now since posting this and problem has almost disappeared. 🙂

scaredypants

I’d have thought magnesium works for cramps rahter than restless leg syndrome (that’s a brain dopamine thing isn’t it ?)

Bushwacked
    Free Member

God knows, but it seems to have worked for me

yunki
    Free Member

I used to suffer with it terribly.. water and increased exercise were the only things that seemed to really noticeably help..

incidentally it has pretty much stopped completely since the birth of my son a couple of years ago..

I can only assume that almost zero nicotine and alcohol, increased physical activity, much improved core strength, less sleep per day, regular sleep pattern, much more tea, regular eating habits and utter mental exhaustion are a beneficial combination..!!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Restless legs’ is closed to new replies.