Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • reputable industry types.
  • soobalias
    Free Member

following the fallout this mornings stw witch-hunt…..

It would be nice if each of you could ensure your profiles clearly link to your business' website or info-email.
    Most of the stw regulars know who you are and what you do, but this will ensure everyone appreciates your bias if/when/where it exists.

It might make it easier for the site owners to spot where you are trying to advertise on the sly – and im sure each of you want to remain above board so that you can benefit from this forum as much as the rest of us punters do.

So, who are you….
    Si-Progressive
    Mike@dialled
    Brant
    TheBikeChain
    2Pure
    18bikes (not seen much recently)

are there any others out there who would like to fess up?

Smee
    Free Member

Who is the brodie bikes guy?

wwaswas

I'm not Neil, and neither's my wife.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    soobalias
    Free Member

oh yeah i forgot about brodie bikes – i quite like the look of some of them

STATO
    Free Member

Brodie bikes is now Si-Progressive i think, changed name cos he now imports Chumba too.

igm

To be honest the bike shop / industry guys who post using a straight forward name frequently post useful comments / interesting stuff

wwaswas

cats-mark (Madison) used be on here but I've been away so don't know if he still posts.

hilldodger
    Free Member

And could all the fanboyz also 'own up'…….
    😉

ojom
    Free Member

*waves*
    i think we conform to the rules…

kick our ass if we dinnae

2pure
    Free Member

does this make me famous?

sv

Cotic guy as well, isnt there? Agree that the straight up ones tend to mak for a great discussion. Remeber the one they had about steel frames, very informative.

Pook

2pure – Member

does this make me famous?

I don't know you so no.

Pook

on this topic, let's look at what one less than impressive shop is doing about it…

JE James is my local shop, and over the past months and years they've received a major slagging off for shoddy customer service, incorrect stock levels on the website, bad after sales and various other things.
    A few weeks ago someone from JEJ came on here and has started (they say) to take on comments from the forum with a view to making a real difference to their customer service in the future.
    Whether they succeed remains to be seen ( i sincerely hope they make changes as they are my LBS), but at the very least it's a positive step for them, and I'm sure it's made something of a difference to the perception STWers have of them.

It's a shame Fruit/tango has been behaving in this manner, as I feel STW would be the one place where people would really try to support a start up bike parts business.

Merlin is the pinnacle right now it seems.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Buy your stuff from spokescycles.com!

(To be fair, I think that's the first time I've ever even mentioned the shop's name on here)

adeward
    Free Member

Buy your stuff from spokescycles.com!

(To be fair, I think that's the first time I've ever even mentioned the shop's name on here)

I think it's .net not .com

( i have nothing to do with this comapany)

Ade Ward or one eared preston

ojom
    Free Member

we have a twitter thingy – i dont really know if it is a worthwhile thing.

by way of interest… how many of you would care to keep abreast of our news if any and updates? (we don't do RSS).

fad or worthwhile?

I don't like Facebook pages for shops so that wont happen.

I'm Slim Shady, the real Slim Shady, all you other Slim Shady's are just imitators ……………

adeward
    Free Member

ok i had better confess,, ex Marin designer

soobalias
    Free Member

im happy to take personal recommendations for companys and/or products as long as i know its a personal view and not just another f****ing advert.

ive not seen brant pull on a new jumper and tell me that ragleys are by far the best built best value bikes available – infact on the contrary i remember he told a few xc whippet types not to buy them as they would find them too heavy/slack as thats how they were designed.

honesty is the best policy.

rolfharris
    Free Member

Pfff, I dunno my web address. The only time I see it is on the arse of myr ace shorts.

ojom
    Free Member

ace shorts aye?

soobalias
    Free Member

but now youve been told, you could at least correct your linky – tard 😉

does anyone who isnt sponsored by spokeydokeycycles think they are any cop?

cycleworlduk
    Free Member

the clues in in my name where im from……is it only scottish dealers on this forum…

ojom
    Free Member

aye cause we are nicest 8)

jejamescycles.co.uk
    Free Member

Well you know who we are – thanks POOK!

We find facebook a good tool to use, it gives us the opportunity to interact directly with our customers, advertise demo days, inform customers of the arrival of new product lines, aswell as take on board any comments and queries you all may have.

Basically we're going to the customer instead of waiting for them to come to us!

We did the same on STW because of certain threads and posts about us which again proved a successful thing to do.

We found the STW gang are a good bunch of guys and gals excluding a few who spoil it for the rest.

JEJ

MrAgreeable

As above, Cy is Cotic, plus Sam is Singular Cycles and James-O is Genesis.

There are quite a few bike shops on here but they tend to be a bit less upfront about it. V10 is Rutland Cycles I think.

si-wilson
    Free Member

following the fallout this mornings stw witch-hunt…..

Where, what happened?

My name is si from Progressive Bikes, hi 😉

soobalias
    Free Member

cant blame them for keeping heads below the parapet – arguments, niggling and complaints should really be kept personal at least until resolved.

however if you wanna promote a product or get punter feedback, you have to let the public know who you are

IMO.

adeward
    Free Member

isn't podge from On-one?

rolfharris
    Free Member

Soobalias- I doubt anyone who shops with us comes on here. Mostly sell to commuters and roadies. We really try our best.

si-wilson
    Free Member

To answer my own question, i have just read the thread in question.

How do people feel when industry types post about the stuff we/they sell? I like how STW are cool about posting certain stuff, you certainly do not get any freedom on any other bike forums regarding a bit of product plugging.

There is a fine line between lots of mindless plugging clogging the forum up and posting information up that some people might find helpful and useful.

si-wilson
    Free Member
    clubber
    Free Member

How do people feel when industry types post about the stuff we/they sell?

If it adds to a thread then it's great and a definite positive with the side effect of being a good advert for the brand. If it's just there as an advert then it puts me off that brand.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Si.

If it is either useful or informative or funny its fine. Endless plugging is not IMO.

IE someone asks "wot bike for exotic freeride lite". Its fine to post – " I have the very thing"

Its not OK to be posting " I have this lovely new exotic freeride lite bike"

So being reactive is fine, being pushy is not. Slagging your customers is certainly not.

I think the industry types on here keep it on the right side mainly. If they overstep then someone will usually flame them

thepodge
    Free Member

ade ward – isn't podge from On-one?

No I'm not but Stevoisonone is… I think that's his username, its similar if not and I think Dave's is Daveplanetx

adeward
    Free Member

sorry podge i just assumed you were podge from on one

thepodge
    Free Member

ade ward – sorry podge i just assumed you were podge from on one

I was, but now i'm not. Stevo is your man for all OO things

cynic-al
    Free Member

Been away a bit today. What was the witch hunt?

Junkyard
    Free Member

Merlin dont log on here (anymore since the hack)I asked in the shop but they do check threads with them in it.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 52 total)

The topic ‘reputable industry types.’ is closed to new replies.