Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Reporting a crazy driver!!! Would you?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Tonight whilst driving home I glanced in the mirror and there he was, wrong side of the road in a 30 at the start of a move that would leave 5 of us passed. I then followed and was witness to some of the most dumb **** overtaking I’ve ever seen!!! The pinnacle of this was through a little village as he tried to do the three cars/vans behind the school bus as it pulled up! This was all over a say 10 mile journey on country roads, the most ridiculous thing about it was when we reached the next town he was stopped at the lights possibly 15 cars in front. All that idiocy to gain one revolution of the lights!!! I phoned the police, an gave them his reg, I’ve never done anything like that before but I felt sick whilst going round every corner expecting to see carnage! Did I do the right thing? Why do I feel uneasy about reporting it??

TuckerUK
    Free Member

Ah, Police driver training eh? Yup, we get them around here too!

Junkyard
    Free Member

yes and no idea why you feel queasy
    You done well sons
    rubs head in proud fatherly way gives playful arm punch

Zukemonster
    Free Member

Yes, definitely. Well done!

Woody
    Free Member

Yup, right thing. I’ve done the same but it has to be particularly moronic and dangerous, and usually repeated otherwise I’d never be off the phone!

wrightyson
    Free Member

I was so on edge when I phoned the police the woman who answered could tell I was adrenalined up. I genuinely expected to have to slam on at any moment to avoid the chaos which I thought would be round the next bend! I cannot put into words what I saw, it was just nuts!! The thing is I’ve had this same car come past me once before in the same manner and thought ****! Will the police actually do anything?

martymac

they cant do anything if you are the only person who called them (in case you know him and have a grudge, for example)
    but several people may have called, and it doesnt only have to be today.
    i think you did the right thing.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I took the reg of two cars in front of me whilst we were at the lights just in case we needed witnesses, that’s how seriously stupid I thought this was!!

Woody
    Free Member

There was a thread on something similar a little while ago and IIRC correctly the police can visit the guy and ‘have a word’. If nothing else, as and when the prick causes an accident, at least it is on file that someone thought his driving was dangerous.

Cougar

I’m never sure quite who to ring to report stuff like this. It’s not a 999 emergency unless the driving is putting someone in immediate danger?

MoreCashThanDash

Yep, I think you did the right thing – as others have said, someone else may have reported him another time, the Police will have a word if there is a pattern of poor driving.

allthepies
    Free Member

I’m never sure quite who to ring to report stuff like this

Police stations have phone numbers you know 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

No I rang the 0345 number, have it in my phone coz of problems at work such as vandalism etc that again don’t warrant a 999 call. I just wish some of you who commented on this thread could have seen it, it wasn’t just poor driving it was just utterly brainless!! Straight out of police camera action but without the chasing police cars!

aP
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve seen Police driver training in North Wales, only the one camper van into a wall and 2 cyclists driven off the road by the Volvo estates.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Yes, I’ve seen Police driver training in North Wales, only the one camper van into a wall and 2 cyclists driven off the road by the Volvo estates.

If it’s North Wales then it’s more likely to be speed gun training than driver training.

cranberry
    Free Member

Go into your local nick and make a proper report. I did that last year – I was doing 60 when some moron in a transit overtook me like I was stood still across hatchings whilst on the brow of a hill.

The police should go and offer him “words of advice” about his driving, and quietly point out that his card is marked.

aP
    Free Member

If it’s North Wales then it’s more likely to be speed gun training than driver training.

If 2 volvo estates with “men with gold braid” sitting in the back driving down the wrong side of the road on a series of blind corners on a mountain road in North Wales, resulting in them forcing a VW campervan into a stone wall is speed gun training, then I’d hate to see what driver training is.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

The last time I reported someone I got a bollocking from Plod for not doing it sooner…

I was driving on the A19/A168 near Thirsk and a driver flashed me, overtook then slowed down and indicated I should pull over. I did so (thinking there may be a problem with my car) he got out, took a look at me then got back in and drove off at some speed.

At the time I didn’t think that much about it but the next morning I though perhaps I should ring the police just in case it was part of a pattern.

I honestly cannot believe the crap they gave me – saying that it was way too late for them to do anything, that I should have taken his registration plate (as he pulled away I tried to note it but failed), that I should have called them immediately etc etc etc.

So yes – I guess you should call them. But be prepared to get crap from them.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Were any of the overtakes actually illegal? Crossing solid white lines or massively over the speed limit for example?
    Or was it just a case of “Ohh, I wouldn’t have done that!”

ChrisHeath

I’m never sure quite who to ring to report stuff like this.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/CrimeJusticeAndTheLaw/Reportingcrimeandantisocialbehaviour/DG_185338

mafiafish
    Free Member

You definately did the right thing calling the police given what you say happened were me I’d call 999 as there was a creditable risk of lives being in danger, especially flying around a school bus and over taking around bends in a 30 zone!
    I hope the woman gets a speaking to.

mk1fan
    Free Member

aP – Member

You missed the satirical point about Welsh Police politics/policies towards road users.

DezB
    Free Member

GRASS!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Yup my first thoughts dez! But **** him if he wants to die in a firey tin can then let him die alone and not take others with him!
    @ Peter poddy, I’ve since thought of a better way to describe his overtaking, you know when the Rossi wannabes on sports bikes decide to White line it whilst making their way thro traffic it was just like that, accelerate right up behind car in front weave out and weave back in causing car to slam on and find him a gap that wasn’t previously there. Fine when your White lining on a bike that’s probably inches over the wrong side but when it’s a full size family saloon it’s a different matter!!!

wrightyson
    Free Member

Double post

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

@ Peter poddy, I’ve since thought of a better way to describe his overtaking, you know when the Rossi wannabes on sports bikes decide to White line it whilst making their way thro traffic it was just like that, accelerate right up behind car in front weave out and weave back in causing car to slam on and find him a gap that wasn’t previously there. Fine when your White lining on a bike that’s probably inches over the wrong side but when it’s a full size family saloon it’s a different matter!!!

Right. OK. SO he was overtaking where there was no room then? Forcing people out of the way?

allthepies
    Free Member
    wrightyson
    Free Member

Oh yeah you could say, it was as I said just like something off the cop shows but without the chasing police car!!

DezB
    Free Member

allthepies – Member
    GRASS!!
    Hmmmmmmm….

Presciserly!

enfht
    Free Member

Don’t waste your time. I followed a drunk driver who was soooo pissed he was smashing into parked cars, overshooting red lights, cyclists literally bailing into ditches only for the Old Bill to choose not to attend and instead text me a non-emergency number to use next time.

Dick Heads, should have complained really.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Reporting a crazy driver!!! Would you?’ is closed to new replies.