Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Replacing SPD cleats – rounded hex screws!!!
  • trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Have a pair of Sidi Dominators, but the SPD Cleats are worn down (so keep slipping out of pedal) and the bolt heads are so worn that the hex spanner no longer fits in (and one has been trounded anyway).

What is the best way to remove bolts without damaging the plate beneath (cannot be removed because stuck beneath the insole, which is fixed).

any top tips / advice

thanks.

theflatboy
    Free Member

i recently used those reverse thread screw extractor drill bits. they came out eventually (and nearly broke my wrist with the drill when they “bit” – be warned!). real pain though.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Drill the head off the bolt (gently) remove the cleat and then use a pair of pliers to remove the remaining boolt.

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Thanks guys – good thinking steve! I’ll give it a shot when i get home.

Lionheart
    Free Member

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product-Axminster-Screw-Extractor-Quick-Change-Adaptor-and-Bit-Set-576720.htm

worked well for me just wished I had not paid twice the amount for the set above

foxyrider
    Free Member

I have either drilled out the screw heads – the cleat comes off and then you should be able to get a mole wrench on the stub to pull it out or small drill to drill the centre out of the cleat bolt just big enough to remove it bu not to big to stuff the threads in the inner shoe plate.

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

although do they have removable plates

– sadly they are not removable.

foxyrider
    Free Member

just edited my post trick LOL

uplink
    Free Member

Before you start all the drilling – try a Torx bit in the rounded hole, it usually works

trickpsyclist
    Free Member

Hey, I’ll try that first uplink.

foxyrider
    Free Member

Before you start all the drilling – try a Torx bit in the rounded hole, it usually works

Yup done that as well – did that on a crank bolt and worked ,like a dream – I wacked it in with a big hammer! sl bigger torx bit than the size of the hex!

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Have you superglued aftermarket insoles in there or something? Because you can pop the hatch and replace the plate in my dominators …

sobriety
    Free Member

I need to do this to my old Sidi ghosts, does anyone know if you can still get replacement plates for them, i’ve had a look online and turned up nowt, the original plates look a bit bent!

GavinT
    Free Member

Normally the plates have two sets of holes so even if you shag the threads you can take them out and rotate them.

In fact by normally I mean always. I’ve never seen one that doesn’t.

CountZero

And remember next time to put coppergrease on the threads to avoid it happening again. Happened to me once. Only once. Ride flats now, anyway. 😉

BigJohn

I blunted a few drills getting my Time cleat off, so I cut a line across the screw with a Wickes angle grinder and undid it with a screwdriver.

I then used glue to seal the slit I made in my sole.

coatesy
    Free Member

Yes, you can get replacement plates, not from Sidi, but from Shimano, all of the latest cleats that we had in came with them so entirely feasible that your LBS will have some surplus to requirements.

RicB

You can buy a ‘JML’ screw remover that’s a cross between a drill bit and screwdriver. Cost me £8ish but it’s fantastic for removing stripped allen head screws. Fits into a screwdriver, whack it with a hammer so it digs in, then just unscrew. Much safer than drilling. Plus, if you balls it up you’re no worse off than you were before 🙂

http://www.jmldirect.com/product.asp?pf_id=S5616&changecurrency=GBP

roper
    Free Member

I used an angle grinder on mine.
    Be careful about it getting too hot and melting the shoe 😳

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

Yes, you can get replacement plates, not from Sidi, but from Shimano, all of the latest cleats that we had in came with them so entirely feasible that your LBS will have some surplus to requirements.

Incorrect, shimano base plates will not fit SIDI shoes. You have to get the proper SIDI replacement part from http://www.xpedia.co.uk

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Replacing SPD cleats – rounded hex screws!!!’ is closed to new replies.