• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Del.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Replacing NiMH batteries
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

I have a lovely Logitech DAB radio, with a ****ed battery pack.

It’s got 10 x NiMH AAs, not tagged, but soldered together with wires.

Can I just replace them? Do I need a Thermonuclear sodlering iron to do so?

molgrips
    Free Member

Soldering batteries is very hard, and possibly dangerous because they don’t like being heated up.

Tagged cells are cheap enough though – why not? If you don’t want to get tagged cells you could perhaps shrink-wrap some together so the ends touch and maybe get some wires in there too.. would also be tricky.

aracer
    Free Member

Agreed – you really need a welder to connect to non-tagged batteries. Just get some tagged ones, they’re readily available.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cool, ta. Usual brands good?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Just don’t buy them from maplin – when I bought a few tagged c nicads they were about £5 each.

aracer
    Free Member

Yep, same brands you’d use for untagged (GP, Panasonic, Sanyo). The highest capacity I found with a quick search is here: http://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat_type/2/ALL/0/NiMH_Tagged_Rechargeable_Batteries.html

(and as always be wary of high claimed capacities on ebay)

Doh1Nut
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers. It lives plugged in and is only running of batteries occasionally (haven’t counted how often).

Normal NiMHs or memory type ones for longevity?

Del

charge it, use it for a few hours, charge it again, leave it on the side until you know you’re going to want it, or just plug it in once a week.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Replacing NiMH batteries’ is closed to new replies.