Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Replace jockey wheels on an XT rear mech or replace with a shadow SLX?
  • robbo1234biking

Replacing the whole drivetrain once the winter grime has subsided. Cranks are being upgraded to SLX and got a SRAM 970 rear cassette and chain to go on.

Ive got a XT rear mech currently so the jockey wheels will need replacing as they are pretty worn or I am debating just replacing the rear mech with a new shadow SLX rear mech. The XT mech is about 5 years old.

Are the SLX ones any good ir would I be better sticking with the XT?

thegiantbiker
    Free Member

I have an SLX shadow from last year. It’s pretty good, likely better than an old one. It’s only been let down by my pathetic attempts at indexing.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I have a 5 year old XT mech on my bike.Replaced the jockey wheels with £10 BBB roller boys and its like new again.

Superficial
    Free Member

If your mech is 5 years old, it’s not a shadow one. I love Shadow derailleurs – I don’t think I’ve smashed a mech or hanger since I went Shadow-y a couple of years ago (Cue me touching every bit of wood in my vicinity!). Having said that if you’ve made a standard derailleur last 5 years it’s probably not an issue for you.

I think the SLX mech will be nicer in every regard (except possibly bling factor). I imagine the jockey wheels are cheaper though – if there’s not a problem with the shifting I’d probably replace the jockey wheels and carry on.

br
    Free Member

you can put Deore jockey wheels on the XT, so its a cheap ‘fix’

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Whichever is the cheapest, then spend the savings on cake and beer.

MartynS

My SLX rear mech really annoys me because it doesn’t have a barrel adjuster on the mech. Dunno why I find that annoying.. I just do.

Anyway, is the mech knackered? if not change the jockey wheels and go riding.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Replace jockey wheels on an XT rear mech or replace with a shadow SLX?’ is closed to new replies.