Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Repeated Spoke breakage on Rear wheel Why?
  • Royston
    Free Member

First spoke popped out at the nipple. replaced (plus one each side) Trued. All ok for 350km then happened again today. Is it just bad luck or are they over/under tensioned? (It’s a Scott Branded DT Swiss wheel & spokes on a road bike)

br
    Free Member

I had these with an MTB wheel, the advice from our local wheel builder was replace the lot.

I did and not snapped any since.

trail_rat
    Free Member

It depends who did the replacement.

I’ve had it often where you retension the wheel nice and evenly and it still snaps spokes for fun and you’ll chase it round the wheel.

A mate replaced a spoke on his road wheel and just pulled a heap of tension into it and the spoke directly opposite snapped 100k later.

He replaced that spoke with another and brought it round to be checked and it was quite a bit over tensioned according to my hands and tension meter visual aid. retensioned his wheel evenly and he has been dandy for a long time.

Too many folks when replacing a spoke think it’s just about sticking the spoke in and tightening it till all is. Straight again…..

damascus
    Free Member

What nipples are they? And where did they all snap?

In the past I’ve had nipples oxidise and then snap. When I’ve trued the wheel others have snapped in the jig. If you are having issues I’d replace spokes and nipples but if on a budget just the nipples.

cynic-al
    Free Member

A retension might do it, a rebuild definitely will.

Ime once 3 spokes go, they will just keep going.

nickdavies

Replace the lot. Ive had it a couple of times and once a couple go just have it rebuilt fresh.

I put it off end of last year, fixed 2 then one day about 20k from home another went, then another and another…. limped home standing the whole way… not fun!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Repeated Spoke breakage on Rear wheel Why?’ is closed to new replies.