Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Removing sealant from the inside case of a tyre … best way.
  • letmetalktomark

I bought a lightly used tyre that had been run tubeless.

Plan was to run the tyre tubeless.

Plans changed.

Looking to use the tyre with a tube.

Need to remove sealant residue.

Whats the best way?

I’ve got to pop into town at lunch so will be picking up some of this:

But should I complement it with something other than muttering under my breath I have better things to do?

wwaswas

I’ve never succeeded with much beyond running a rough cloth over the inside of the tube to get the lumps off.

Do you *need* to remove it all or just want to?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’ve not (yet) found anything that doesn’t seem to destroy the inside of the tyre at the same time as lifting the dried sealant off. Other than elbow grease.

Even hot soapy water and a scourer doesn’t work, you end up with a rubberized scourer after about 30 seconds and 10cm of tyre. Ends up costing you more than the value of the tyre in scourers……..

A pressure washer might work.

Northwind

Best thing I’ve found is a thumb, tbh. But don’t rub too hard or the skin falls off! Often you can peel big chunks once you get a start.

ianfitz
    Free Member

hot soapy water and a stiff nylon scrubbing brush is the least worst option in my experience.

sofaboy73
    Free Member

plastic scouring pad, hot soapy water and disc brake cleaner for the really stubborn bits

aracer
    Free Member

Tubes work fine in tyres with sealant residue. If you have better things to do, then don’t bother.

krixmeister

What @ianfitz – soapy water, and my trusty bicycle-specific toilet brush. Also what @aracer said – if you are just wanting to put tubes in, you don’t really need to do any cleaning if you don’t want to.

jekkyl

why would you want to run a tyre with a tube?

Northwind

Dried sealant probably adds several grams, and grams make kilos! (it just offends my OCD really)

thejesmonddingo

Save up and buy new tyres then,duh.

Northwind

But I could spend that money on a titanium bottle cage bolt!

russyh
    Free Member

petrol and a match! Seriously though! If someone can come up with a product to remove it I would buy it! I hate refitting tyres with old sealant residue! just feels wrong!

scruff
    Free Member

Residues all dried up though innit so will weigh virtually nothing once you pulled out all the bally and Crystalline Entity shaped bits.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

It is beyond me why, even if needing to use a tube, you would need to remove dried sealant.

I have better things to do with my time.

phiiiiil

I peel off the biggest bits of sealant, only because having left school you’re apparently not allowed to get PVA glue all over your hand just so you can have the satisfaction of peeling it off.

The rest I don’t care about…

Earl
    Free Member

I left my tyre in a bucket of water for 2 weeks and its pretty easy to clean after that. Or elbow grease if you don’t have time .

garage-dweller

Northwind +1

Rub it a bit and you can often get an edge to peel huge slices off.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Removing sealant from the inside case of a tyre … best way.’ is closed to new replies.