Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Removing a security tag (thanks Evans)
  • fubar
    Free Member

I've just discovered that Evans have sent me home with a large security tag still attached through the chin strap of my new helmet.

One side of the tag is a rectangular piece of plastic with rounded edges and through the strap is a metallic cone.

Is it easy and safe to remove with a screw driver ? Can the cone just be levered off ? Any other techniques ?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Hammer – bigger the better – let off some steam 😉

KINGTUT
    Free Member

Errm, take it back and get them to remove it..

bristolbiker
    Free Member

pfft – thinking inside the box… 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

If the end is a plastic cone.

Burn the end off and use a paper-lcip to undo the clasp inside.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Magnet. If you have one. It should allow it to be released.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Magnets?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I knew a girl who was a dab hand at removing them with a pair of dressmaking scissors. She never went shopping without them.

mangoridebike

Big hammer FTW

the worst that could happen is a bit of dye is release – not an issue on a black helmet strap

fubar
    Free Member

40 mile drive !

Ewan
    Free Member

I had this on a bottle of whisky the other day (no I didn't steal it). After much umming and ahhing I found a pair of cable cutters on the metal pin did the job disappointingly easily.

(Obviously I then twatted it with a hammer to get a look at the insides)

dooosuk
    Free Member

Cut either side of the strap and then stitch it back together? 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

Do they have dye in them ? ! (Light grey strap)

No magnet.

(perhaps I will do the drive…'only' 15 miles if I do it from work)

Admiralable
    Free Member

Wear it with pride and with the tag on. Makes you look like you robbed it like init and all gangsta bro

Drac

Happened years ago to my mother with M&S, they sent 2 people out with the portable device to remove it.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Build an electromagnet. Easy :). And it'll satisfy your geeky side.

fubar
    Free Member

I've emailed Evans – I expect they are rushing 2 people over here right now.

mtb_rossi
    Free Member

Yeah probably in their special car marked 'Police' 😛

Kevevs
    Free Member

Vice & hacksaw? smash with big hammer once removed to kill it.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Do they have dye in them ? !

If it had dye in it it would usually be visible and have a warning about not breaking the tag on it.

Sounds like it's just a plastic one with ball bearings inside which grip the pin…hence the magnets would have released the ball bearings and the pin would slide out.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Get the bosch out and mutilate it untill it gives in

sweepy
    Free Member

freeze it for a while then hit it with a big **** off hammer.

scotia
    Free Member

i did that with a pair of gloves here in lausanne, i just pulled the cone out with a screwdriver (wasnt wanting to drive back to the shop!)

Harry_the_Spider

I had this on a T shirt bought at the airport… in Jo'burg, so I couldn't take it back.

I chewed it off with a pair of wire cutters.

IdleJon

fubar – Member
    I've emailed Evans – I expect they are rushing 2 people over here right now.

Kevevs – Member
    Vice & hacksaw?

New buddy-cop ITV show?

kitchenroll
    Free Member

burn the end off the plastic bit, thats whet the theiving scum do in my store,

kitchenroll
    Free Member

which evans? hope not the one i work in!

mattythemod
    Free Member

magnet and if its a dye tag then freeze it and then smash the dye off and then snip through the metal spike , 20 years experince in this and it works !

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

As senior officer for a multi agency business crime reduction team in a large city I'd just like to say a big thank you for not knowing any techniques that I didn't already know.

Keep going though, I normally pay to go on courses to check this sort of intel'.

mattythemod- I'm watching you son. 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Practical Matt – How are you going to stop people going into shops with the right 'tools'?

I imagine it's tricky enough to spot people with foil lined bags?

mattythemod
    Free Member

mattythemod- I'm watching you son.

Ha Ha , i see your good at comin to the wrong conclusions as to what side i am on 8)

fubar
    Free Member

which evans? hope not the one i work in!

It was the Trafford / Chill Factor store (Monday)

I stress that I do have a receipt for the helmet – all paid for !

Get the bosch out and mutilate it untill it gives in

You were the last person to use the Bosch – the chances of me not damaging the helmet with the drill are small to none.

I'm pretty much resigned to going back to store.

davebarrie
    Free Member

Back when I worked in a bike shop, we had new versions of the security tags, and someone threw out the device for taking the old ones off. Whenever anyone bought something with the old tags on, I'd take it out to the workshop, pop in the the vice and apply pressure to the sides liberally. They usually just popped open with enough crushing force from either side.

It was one like this, if it helps.

kitchenroll
    Free Member

burning the end, snipping the end, crush in vice etc all work, and nope not my store! phew!

csb

Depends on the tag. Some of them are released from their pin by the insertion of a curved needle into a hole. They tend to be the longer thin tags that I think TK Maxx use. Thick copper wire does it. Bend it till it fits.

meehaja
    Free Member

Take it back… and demand a voucher for "ruining your weekends riding". I'd expect at least £20 for that. In the meantime wear your old helmet, borrow one or go without?

PracticalMatt
    Free Member

@TSY going equiped for stealing is a charge, likewise you can restrict known offenders from being in posession of certain items.
    Stop and search is a handy tool too. If somone's acting suspicious you wait, get the evidence as they do it then get a conviction afterwards.

project
    Free Member

Nobody has realised he was allowed to walk out of the store with a security tagged helmet, past the scanner at the door, and it didnt sound or flash lights, so it must have been switched off then 😆

So thats Evans Manchester Chile Factore, with a not working security system.

Red faces and smacked arses tomorrow when management read Singletrack.

pinches
    Free Member

just use side cutters on the pin joining the two halves of the tag together.

Or, failing that, take it, with your receipt to your local super market and ask if they use the same system?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Same thing happened to me, a hacksaw through the bubble/buldge that the pin goes into and it dropped off.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Removing a security tag (thanks Evans)’ is closed to new replies.