Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Remote Access Door Lock – Retrofit to UPVC Door
  • bentandbroken

Need to get something sorted for an elderly relative. Has anyone fitted one, there seems a lot of choice and a large variety of costs.

Key things are;
    Quick/easy to fit – I need to DIY it ASAP
    Secure
    Easy to use

Essentially it will be used to allow carer access without leaving a key in a key safe as the relative is nervous about the key safe option

I have to do the Doorbell at the same time so if that can be combined it would be good, but not essential

smokey_jo

Howdy,

Just had something installed by Keybury at ours. Tag readers to open the doors from the outside and pads internally which just need your hand waved in front of them.

You still have to give someone/safe place a tag though. Alternatively I’m sure they would be able to install a keypad instead of a tag reader.

http://keybury.co.uk/

Ask to speak to Tom Gee.

Alternatively Yale do some Smart Locks and numberpad locks which can be retro-fitted to pvc.

footflaps

What do you mean by remote access? You can remotely control who can come in?

Or do you just want a different key safe style solution…

Big difference.

franksinatra

Might be flogging a dead horse here but at work we use the Supra c500 keysafe. Police and insurance approved. We tried to break into one in the workshop once and it was ridiculous, we could have demolished the front of the house quicker than we got into the keysafe.

You tube shows a hack to ‘break’ the code but this is fixed on all new models.

But if your relative won’t have one this is all useless information!

bentandbroken

Thanks for the comments/feedback so far

There will be a key safe for the emergency services, but with carers coming in 4 times a day 7 day a week she is worried that ‘lots’ of people will know the number and any of them could let themselves in at any time of the day or night.so has asked for a second key safe for a different door, or something better

By ‘remote’, it could be as simple as a button next to her chair/bed. Obviously it would be better if it could be from anywhere inside the house

just5minutes
    Free Member

if you’re going to do the keysafe thing make sure the door lock / key is a secure type to begin with.

Leaving a key in a keysafe is an open invitation for the key to be copied and used at will at any point in the future – which can be a problem where different carers access the property.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

God, I wouldn’t buy a keybury, purely based on the website being ultra annoying!!

bentandbroken

Sorry for the lack of response, I’ve been trying to sort out other bits and pieces for the same reason, but this is the one I am still struggling with and this;

just5minutes – Member
    if you’re going to do the keysafe thing make sure the door lock / key is a secure type to begin with.

Leaving a key in a keysafe is an open invitation for the key to be copied and used at will at any point in the future – which can be a problem where different carers access the property.

is one of the reasons why they are worried 🙁

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Remote Access Door Lock – Retrofit to UPVC Door’ is closed to new replies.