Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • reliable shed/garage alarm.
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

Want to alarm my garage – a neighbour down the road was done in last friday night and a neighbour up the road was done in this friday night.

im a fair bit more secure than most garages but i want an alarm – i think.

what i dont want is something prone to going off at random or set off by the wind – like our old wireless Yale alarm at my parents which i silenced at 3 am on a ladder with a 3lb lump hammer.

i have an up and over door + a 1.5m 4 segment window – only about 20cm of the window actually opens but its perminatly locked – and blinds closed.

I’d prefer “remote” activated – not code . so i can put the sounder at the rear of the garage so it will take them ages to get to it to knock it out (any one thats been in my garage will understand)

loud would be nice so my garage becomes a not nice place to be.

battery powered – or battery backup’d – as often i turn the power to the garage off at the fuseboard in the house.

seen those PIR sensor alarms with keypads on Ebay – but have trouble trusting something that costs 6 quid.

trail_rat
    Free Member

yeah how ever id need a new one any time me or the mrs went into the garage 😀

burko73

That’s the problem. All this stuff now costs 6 quid and just doesn’t last. I’d pay more for something really solid if available.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

No one?

tomaso
    Free Member

Two big options for basic shed/garage alarms.

1. Alarm that sounds in/on the garage, or
    2. Remote alarm bell located inside your home to alert you.

I am pondering the Kasp shed/garage alarm. It has a battery powered PIR alarm thingy that has a wireless connection to the alarm sounder that you have inside the house – alerting you. Its not a bad chooice at about £20 to wake me up if there is someone in my garage and I get the added bonus of going and meeting them in the dark.

I do however wonder whether this will do much if I am away?

trail_rat
    Free Member

“I do however wonder whether this will do much if I am away?”

precisely nothing.

i did ponder that for about 30 seconds. same with CCTV that emails you – you can see someones stealing your bike from the other side of the world but cant do owt about it.

i have neighbours – if someones in my shed i want to wake the neighbours and i want to scare the shit out the would be thief.

BigJohn

I like the way the Henry Krank device specifies a 12 gauge “blank”. Seeing as their clientele is the shooting fraternity I suspect a live round may be the normal charge.

I’m just wiring up my garage which is about 30 metres from the house. I’ve run a thick armoured cable from the non-protected side of my house consumer unit to a new RCCD protected CU in the garage. What I really want is a doorbell in the garage that would ring as well as the one in the house when somebody presses the button at my front door, and a bell that would ring in the house if somebody gets into the garage. I don’t want to be messing about with batteries and I don’t want to spend much.

scottyjohn
    Free Member

How about the Yale garage alarm units Like this?

burko73

That’s great but it’s whack able inside the shed. Want an external sounder really hard wired in out of arms reach. Easy to shut the door of the shed and muffle the sound. My she’d is 50 m from the bedroom need to hear it going off.

trail_rat
    Free Member

i bought a lidle 6.99 one yesterday as i figured if it was gash i have a while to take it back.

initial testing says it seems to be good.

battery powered but a 6 volt transformer connection so it can be powered most of the time and revert to batteries when i turn off the mains in the garage at the rcds.

hora
    Free Member

a neighbour down the road was done in last friday night and a neighbour up the road was done in this friday night.

Theres your answer. Wait. Leave a sacrifical Lamb in the shed. Let an old snotter of a bike be stolen.

If they are doing the rounds they’ll break into yours – note the noise and the nice bikes, have clocked the treasure and will either carry on or be back when your out at work.

Do you think a neighbour would wade in? I wouldn’t. You don’t know who or what is waiting for you in that back garden- just as you wouldn’t walk into a pub and shout **** randomly at someone! 🙂

trail_rat
    Free Member

sounds like you know my set up hora.

not going into it on here but i feel confident they would be safer in my garage than in your house 😉

this is just a back up plan 😉

also houses targeted were in isolation(im not) and had large unsecured detatched garages(i dont) – ive not spoken to the neighbours in question since but having spoke to others the common consensus seems to be – well i best start locking my garage now…. so im already a few steps ahead of that.

hora
    Free Member

Just for the purposes of public record- they’d be lovely and safe inside my house with me. I’d make them feel at home and look after them 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

Do you think a neighbour would wade in? I wouldn’t.

Thats your standard response on alarm related posts hora. Where I live if an alarm goes off the neighbours always go out for a look. Last time a house alarm went off there were 4 sets of neighbours taking a look round the exterior of the house to check it.

hora
    Free Member

Thats your standard response on alarm related posts hora

You have good neighbours- would they do the same in the middle of the night? Mad if so.

In todays society how many neighbours would and how many would do nothing generally?

trail_rat
    Free Member

many neighbours would go round and look if not just to shut the thing up – i certainly would.

i wouldnt like to mess with my neighbour 2 doors up anyway – its highly likely you will end up in a body bag – hes an undertaker by trade and he looks like “the undertaker” build wise.

we dont live in middle leeds though.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘reliable shed/garage alarm.’ is closed to new replies.