Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Reinstalling xp on netbook advice
  • Jeremy
    Free Member

i've got an asus eeepc which is all gummed up and needs revamping. anyone had any experience with reinstalling an OP on something like this using a usb stick? any good walkthroughs you've come across?
    the computer only has a 4gb harddrive so it needs to be a small install. i've read about nlited versions but they look a bit complicated to pull off. thanks

surfer
    Free Member

Ubuntu netbook version.
    I had Linpus on my Daughters Acer Aspire One and even after upgrading the memory to 1.5gb I could really get a version of XP running.
    Gave up and installed the above and its pretty good.

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Ubuntu Netbook Remix. There are tools to make a bootable USB stick too. I've used it and prefer it to XP on my netbook. Does everything you need to do on a netbook, install Wine if you need to run Windows apps.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Crell
    Free Member

I'd switch to ubuntu! My wife has an eee901 xp and the ssd primary disk is ridiculously small. I end up constantly clearing capacity, an it's issues are well documented. If you still want to go the xp route, use nlite. Guides here:

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=537793

http://wiki.eeeuser.com/howto:nlitexp

Lazgoat
    Free Member

Or, if you can get a download (you may have to sign up and wait for an invite) you could try JoliCloud.

doc_blues
    Free Member

another for ubuntu netbook remix – works like a charm and will I guess have everything you need for netbook use (firefox, openoffice etc) – one of the easiest installs I have ever come across tbh

Jeremy
    Free Member

great, cheers for advice! i'd not considered linux, it would suit all of my needs with open office, good call. just need to learn how to use it now heh 😉
    can i use a usb harddrive (ipod 60gb) to install linux? IIRC, the xp install couldn't use a stick with a capacity higher than 2 gb for some reason

doc_blues
    Free Member

i installed the ubuntu netbook remix from a usb drive – plenty of instructions on web for it – think I used a 2gb or 4gb drive.

here are some (not the ones I used, but cant find them)
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download-netbook

think I remember having to install flash afterwards (to get stuff like you tube etc working) – but again plenty of instructions around and easy to do with a sudo -get command from the terminal (command line like in the old DOS days)

uplink
    Free Member

To get it back to 'out of the box' XP again

1. Back up all data

2. Press F9 key as it boots up just keep tapping it until you get a black screen withan option to “Restore to Factory Settings”.
    Select that option and wait about a minute or so and it will reboot.

When it reboots it will ask you to enter a user-name and password – the same as it did when you first switched it on from new, it'll then boot to the original EEEPC desktop.

Stoner
    Free Member

yes, I put an nlited version of XP on my aspire one SSD by USB

runs very well.

theres a walkthough some where online – will try and find it later – going out now.

Jeremy
    Free Member

Uplink- i couldn't get any response from f9, i cant rmeember if i erased the recovery partition in a quest for space.
    i couldn't get it to install ubuntu last night but i remade the usb key this morning, selecting 'discard documents and settings upon shutdown' which seemed to work.
    The problem now is that, having installed ubuntu on the hard drive, the computer will only boot up with the usb key inserted. If i try booting it from the hard drive it just asks me to insert the bootable media or restart. i've changed the priorities in bios but this seems to make no difference. any suggestions/solutions?
    thanks all

Crell
    Free Member

I know it sounds daft, but did you install it on the drive? Ubuntu will run happily from a USB, and you may have installed it there rather than on the drive itself?

Jeremy
    Free Member

Crell – that is what i suspected at first. but now i realise that the installation was only half done.

Well, after attempting a reinstall a couple more times since, i figure it is due to the error message that appears about 35% of the way into installation saying that installation cannot continue due to a fault with the disk (pen drive), a faulty hard drive or the pc overheating. i paid no attention to this (mistake) as when i clicked 'quit' ubuntu booted up (must have been from the pen drive but i assumed at the time from the hard drive), so i assumed there was no problem.

i reformatted the pen drive and reinstalled the usb installation software onto the drive but to no avail. i don't think there is a problem with the usb drive although i will try another. the pc isnt overheating which leaves a faulty hard drive. this is possible but i don't know how to check whether it is faulty or not.

anyone else had this error message? how do i tell if it is a problem with the hd?
    thanks

Stoner
    Free Member

I think this is the walkthrough I used to create a USB install of XP to get rid of Linpus on my Acer.

Windows Flash – installing XP on a solid state drive Acer Netbook

Worked first time, no problems.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Reinstalling xp on netbook advice’ is closed to new replies.