Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Reign vs Capra
  • trauty
    Free Member

I am thinking of new bike and these 2 are my final contenders. ( please dont reccomend me some other bikes )

I will try to test them , but before I do , I would like to hear opinions from people who tried them both already and tell me which they liked more and why.

As for the sizing large capra has pretty much identical reach as medium reign.
    Just lookign at geometry numbers , it seems capra has better seatube angle for uphills , but reign has lower bb though for more stable descending . chainstay is 6 mm shorter on capra though . headangle is irrelevant. both are slack enough. So what you guys think ?

chakaping
    Free Member

Owned a medium reign and ridden a large Capra briefly.

Reign was neutral, composed, supple and very solid.

Capra equally composed and solid but suspension felt more firm, handling a bit more nimble.

The saddle didn’t go low enough for me on the capra, so that made my decision easy.

I’d make the decision based on geometry if I were you.

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Reign weighs considerably more than the capra i think… if thats a considetation?

plecostomus
    Free Member

You can buy a reign from your local bike shop and have support from them, the Capra you have to deal with poor customer service when you need it. Like buying a new second hand bike. If your happy with long waits and emailing Germany the. Go to yt

Trimix
    Free Member

I have a Capra (Large and I’m 5 foot 11) – its geometry makes it very good at riding uphill – not really different to my Scott XC bike.

Its also pretty low, Id not want to go lower as Id end up with too many pedal strikes.

Build quality was very high, I checked all the torque settings when I got it and they were all spot on. The one email I sent asking about something was answered very quickly.

SirHC

I own a Reign (large) and have ridden a capra. The capra I rode was a large and felt small compared to my Reign, but that shouldn’t be a problem now as there is an XL (in aluminium) available. Capra had 36’s/X2 so couldn’t fault the suspension performance, I’d consider one (and a Jeffsy).

Had my Reign since January, its built up with Lyrik forks /Float X2 shock/ Pro4 & EX471 Wheels. Big ride every week which is typically fire road climbing and off piste steep/technical trails. The Reign is long/low/slack and so inspires confidence as its stable but still turns very well. Suspension performance is very good, I have no climb switch on the shock, yet don’t miss it (15miles and 4000ft of climbing), its no XC bike, but compared to other enduro bikes.

Giant UK will be announcing which models they will be bringing in this year shortly.

chakaping
    Free Member

Reign weighs considerably more than the capra i think.

Alu Capra weighed 2lb more than my alu Reign, build kit was very similar.

Carbon Capra probably on par – or slightly lighter – than the alu Reign, just based on lifting a couple up.

I liked the low BB on the Reign, the Capra’s certainly isn’t high and I know one owner who found it too low.

I got the impression the Capra might be a better all-rounder, with the Reign being very focused on descending – though I only rode it with a Monarch and a better shock might give it a bit more pop.

trauty
    Free Member

great. I think i will go for reign as it is considerably lighter frame , so should be easier to get below 30lbs mark even with cheaper components.

chakaping
    Free Member

My alu Reign was 32lb with SLX transmission, Zee brakes, Superstar wheels, supergravity tyres & flat pedals.

I got it down to around 30lb with Crossmax XLs, 11sp-XT and a snakeskin front tyre.

Just remembered I did a review: http://unduro.co.uk/mtb/review-giant-reign-2015/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Reign vs Capra’ is closed to new replies.