Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • redundancy, those left behind.
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Just need to vent,

Well today was $hit. final consultation for those going, company let them leave at lunchtime. I know i should be happy that i still have a job, and hopefully now it is all sorted and finished i can start to feel better.

But redundancy is a $hit process for everyone, those going and those staying. I know it is just how modern business works, flexibility, opportunity, etc etc…… still doesn’t change the facts how ever you dress them up.

lovegoinguphills
    Free Member

It sure is especially when it drags on for months on end.

chakaping
    Free Member

Yeah, sometimes it’s better for the people who go – at least they can have a pocket full of money and the chance of a fresh start if they are lucky.

seosamh77
    Free Member

Aye agree, I’m currently trying to sort out the shit storm left by our recent redundancies. not pleasant. But still I don’t fancy the scottish job market at this present time, so could be worse.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Those that don’t get redundant often end up doing a lot more work for no more pay.

thehillsofsomerset
    Free Member

they shut the whole office, i guess that is better than some staying and some going.

TooTall
    Free Member

It has been the single biggest morale booster where I work. Lots of old and feckless looking to jump ship and others willing them on!

stumpyjon

Survivor guilt on top of the additional workload and the constant we (i.e. you) need to work harder as the company’s not doing well. Been on both sides many times. Last time round I was the one being made redundant but had another job to walk into with a company making money, it was a lot harder for those I left behind. I don’t actually think my role was redundant as I was working very hard and doing long hours, more a cost cutting exercise, everything I was doing must have got lumped onto people who were already busy. Ironically I had moved into that role to take the pain away from the others as some were close to melt down.

emma82
    Free Member

Tis horrible and not nice to see people go through 🙁 vent away 🙂

paulosoxo
    Free Member

8 weeks in for me! It’s shit.

k-sugden
    Free Member

I was made redundant on Tuesday no warning called into the office to be told by an accountant I had never met, that the company had ceased trading. Took back my company car, laptop and phone. Gave me a form to claim redundancy and notice pay from the government, and £20 to get the train home.

Don’t know where I go from here but started by emailing our competitors don’t hold out much hope of getting something soon.

duntmatter
    Free Member

🙁

Keep looking forward.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

Took back my company car, laptop and phone

You shouldn’t give them back. They can give you notice to return them, but you need time to make other arrangements/ clear out personal effects

A chum of mine prepared his car and made it ready for them. In the short stay carpark at the airport. For 2 weeks.

A small victory in the cycle of poo.

rickmeister

It is indeed a crap business… my ex lakes based international development training company made me redundant after 11 yrs, statutory minimum redundancy pay and insisted I work my three month notice period.

They must have been in a really tight spot.pretty close to the wire..

Its difficult to be motivated in front of clients under those circumstances….

smoothchicken

Sympathies to all those affected. We’re going through redundancy consultation, I’m not in the mix at the moment, but it’s so badly organised that they’re now asking the people who are taking VR to stay on longer as there’s work to be done. Trying to clear out those considered ‘not so good under the guise of redundancy, flying close to the wind me thinks. Unsurprisingly quite a few people are giving them the middle finger!

My experience of redundancy has mostly been good. The first round got rid of a complete tit of a Contracts Manager working alongside me, although I had to pick up his crap where he left off.

The second round came up a year later and I jumped at the chance as I was sick of the place. Got paid my 3 month notice period and stat redundancy pay and set up on my own. The whole company shut around the end of my notice period, but I was happily trading on my own by then. Me and one of my old directors have come out of it well and have both carried on in a similar line of business. The others are all pretty miserable from what I’ve heard, but I didn’t really like any of them, so couldn’t give a flying one…

takisawa2

A year or two back they announced that the wifes section were all effectively redundant, & would need to reapply for their jobs.

Morale was so bad nobody reapplied. 😀

Some backtracking later the Wife & her colleague agreed on a job share that worked perfectly, & lost them very little in salary. 🙂

Currently in consultation at my place. Closing most of the production, but retaining design/tech. Ok for us in design but going to be a lousy year while this goes through. Part of me wishes I was on the list, if just for the kick up the backside to find something new.

paulosoxo, k-sugden, rickmeister…hope you chaps find something soon. 😐

rickmeister

Thanks Taki,

I am now a director of another company and the burning of my old corporate clothing caught the attention of the right people at the old company.. as well as providing closure on that chapter (I had to buy the stuff myself too…)

I echo the sentiment for others though, it can be a much needed kick up the arris to get out there and actually realise your real worth..

zokes
    Free Member

A year or two back they announced that the wifes section were all effectively redundant, & would need to reapply for their jobs.

I have never understood this. If the role is redundant, why can they apply for their old jobs. I know it goes on, I’m just wondering how it’s allowed?

MrOvershoot

zokes – Member
    I have never understood this. If the role is redundant, why can they apply for their old jobs. I know it goes on, I’m just wondering how it’s allowed?

If its truly a redundant position they can’t.

But so much can be hidden behind semantics, one of the biggest changes recently has been the change from “personnel” to HR(human resources) for the department that shafts you. In effect you are now just a resource like electricity, water etc.

mrmo
    Free Member

One example, 3 sales people, you only need 2, one role is redundant. all three can be asked to apply for the two roles. compromises may be possible etc.

If business picks up at a latter date, i believe there are rules as how long is acceptable, you can then employ a new person.

totalshell

mrmo close but no cigar.. 3 sales people only need two redefine role terms and conditions and invite previous employees to reapply.
    worked for a business that was ruthless in this even in the good times and had to manage the process several times ( thier share price recently fell by 15% and a director sold shares before a profits warning) not nice process to be on either side of decsions were already made etc NO-ONE ever successfully appealed a decsion

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘redundancy, those left behind.’ is closed to new replies.