• This topic has 45 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by STATO.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Redundancy and holiday
  • langley
    Free Member

Ta for the replies.

I can not see why the boss (a complete cock womble) would dis-allow holiday being taken when there will be nothing to do tin the final week. All work will have been moved else where, only those not relocating will be left.

Unless the boss is trying to be big and clever which considering his recent git-ish-ness would not surprise me.

njee20
    Free Member

Fair enough, as I’ve said previously I’ve seen over a thousand people laid off over the last 8 years in multiple firms and I’ve even seen people not hand back phones or laptops and not one has been sacked mid-process.

But one assumes the hand back of kit is the very last thing people do, it’s going to be pretty hard and not worthwhile to act on that when someone is literally leaving 30 seconds later. bit different to the scenario of being on 3 months notice, and on day one saying “**** you I’m going to ride my bike for 3 months”, whereby I’m amazed you’re amazed that a company would take offence.

richc
    Free Member

njee20 do you have any experience of how redundancies normally work? Or you basing your understanding on how you think it works?

footflaps

Watched many sets of redundancies over the last 20 years and they’ve all been pretty professional. Staff have worked notice period where asked, work handed over as required. Everything handed back. It’s not pleasant but no need to be a dick about it esp as work is a small world, you come across the same people again, so it would be silly to burn bridges.

bigjim

I was made redundant earlier this year, I didn’t have to work my notice period, so I didn’t. I was paid for the holidays I had accrued and not taken.

STATO
    Free Member

richc, it sounds like your experience is companies losing a major contract or just stopping doing that type of work, so laying off whole departments or 50% of the business.

Id guess that a lot of folks work in smaller companies where redundancies may only be 10’s of people as the amount of work reduces slowly rather than 50% loss overnight. Certainly many friends i know that have been through it have been in that fashion, although not all.

Also, given the OP was about 1 person, I think the discussion is more likely to be biased in that way.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Redundancy and holiday’ is closed to new replies.