Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)
  • Recovery Supplements
  • clubber
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    There also there to extract money from the naive and to help make lazy incompetents believe they’re proper training.

What you actually ‘need’ is pretty easy to get from food.

I never thought I’d say it but TSY talks sense here. Unless you’re a top level athlete, sensible food is all you need.

Lots of gullible people end up getting fat when they start ‘training’ because they take in all the supplements which do nothing for them other than provide lots of unnecessary calories.

To the OP, eat and rehydrate asap after exercise, try and do stretching/light warmdowns too as that’ll help reduce soreness the next day (reduce, not prevent).

Jamie
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti:

There also there to extract money from the naive and to help make lazy incompetents believe they’re proper training.

What you actually ‘need’ is pretty easy to get from food.

For services in hitting the heads of nails so splendiferously:

Kryton57

Yeti – please show me how you can get 70g of protien, after a Weights session for less than 75p with food off of Sainsbury’s shelves?

IIRC thats about £5’s worth of chicken breasts plus the cost/time/inconvienience of cooking it – difficult to do in CYB car park….

Btw, I do concur with your marketing issue – Supps are well marketed and you are right, they will target the niaive and unwary, hence my earlier comment about using them if you are actively working out hard (and to a high level)…. otherwise its a waste.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

How dare you Clubber!

DirtyG… have you looked into sweat/hydration testing? I reckon that sometimes I get cramp because I’m too hydrated, meaning I’ve diluted my essential electrolyte gubbins.

I could add nuun to all my drinks.. or just drink less 🙂

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Kryton – do you need 70g after a session? Or do you need 70g during a whole day?

Jamie
    Free Member

Kryton – do you need 70g after a session? Or do you need 70g during a whole day?

If we are getting into weightlifting territory, I believe the current thinking is 1g/1lb of lbm.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I thought it was per day Jamie?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Kryton57 – Member

Yeti – please show me how you can get 70g of protien, after a Weights session for less than 75p with food off of Sainsbury’s shelves?

and why would you need it?

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

TSY, nope but i have nuun more these days (but i never get cramp). I noticed that i recover better with a second nuun tablet post exercise so you could try that maybe? It works for me, and you know what i’m like *geek* 🙂 The next step in my geekier (is that a word?!) is to work out exactly how much carbs and protein i need post exercise to get optimal amounts for recovery with no excess calories (i want to be back to a size 8 by winter!)

Jamie
    Free Member

I thought it was per day Jamie?

Yeah it is. The idea of shotting 70g of brotein after a weights sessions does seems a bit much.

Shandy
    Free Member

So, MyProtein Recovery XS if you want a recovery drink.

A Yazoo, a tuna sandwich and a self-five if your training goal is smug mediocrity.

Jamie
    Free Member

Well done Shandy. You nailed the whole thread in one pithy comment.

You might need some protein after such an exertion.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Dirty – I have no problem recovering 🙂 I only use Nuun on extended rides. Recovery is often a lager Shandy 🙂

Jamie
    Free Member

Anyway. I think the issue is getting clouded. Recovery from a ride is different from recovering from weightlifting. So both cannot be addressed in the same way.

Shandy
    Free Member

I’m so clever I don’t need any protein. Thanks for your concern.

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

Dirty – I have no problem recovering

You ain’t working hard enough then! 😛 Actually, i recover well if i can sleep ok, the only thing that causes me aches these days is climbing as i’m pushing myself, and my upper body is wrecked after it! My massuer told me i had climbing shoulders the other week 😀

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

You ain’t working hard enough then!

I don’t train at all 😛

MrSmith
    Free Member

i don’t care if there are cheaper alternatives or you can replicate recovery products from selective supermarket shopping. it takes 30 seconds to mix it up and leave it in the fridge ready to drink on my return, i’m happy to pay for that convenience.

i have also found recovery drinks have helped if i want a drink or 3 later in the day as the liver has a lot of work to do post exercise, i get less hangover type symptoms if i use recovery drinks like rego after long rides.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Out of interest…

Those that use protein shakes/ recovery drinks…

How fit do you consider yourselves?
    Are you trying to lose or gain weight?
    Do you enjoy cooking / food?

druidh
    Free Member

The Southern Yeti – Member
    Out of interest…

Those that use protein shakes/ recovery drinks…

Pretty good for my age, thanks.
    Neither.
    Love my food, enjoy a bit of cooking. Thing is, it’s not always convenient to have exactly what I want, when I want when we try to eat as a family or I’m doing multi-day trips, especially if camping, hostelling etc. Recovery drinks have their place. And anyway, those “Yazoo” drinks are full of carrageenan, which give me the boak.

Kryton57

Yeti – I meant per day – beat my 75p though?

Anyway,becuase I do train hard up to 3 x per week and perhaps twice more with weights, what Shandy and MrSmith said +1.

I’ll be sticking with RecoveryXS.

juiced
    Free Member

if you’ve had a hard weigh training session, you need to get ideally the good stuff back into your body prett soon as i understand it. I often do not feel like making a meal when i return 1.5 hours after a workout. I can drink a protein drink within 1/2 of working out. Although i am not sure of the exact protein measurements it is quite a lot for a hard session. You are ulikely to need that sort of measurement after cycling though as it is not as intense on the muscle groups generally imho. Not only that but seomtimes you just do not feel like eating a can of something etc.

TBH for cycling recovery milk makes a lot of sense as it rehydrates superbly and has some protein and calcium, and is NICE 🙂

jimification
    Free Member

For recovery, I think about four main issues:-
    1) Hydration / electrolytes
    1) Topping glycogen back up as fast as possible.
    2) Reducing DOMS
    3) General fatigue

For 1) Not too much of a problem in this country usually. I just drink some extra water when I get back. If it’s really hot I put some electrolyte tabs in.

For 2) yes, 4:1 carbs to protein within 20 minutes of finishing excercise. I use rego if I’ll be riding again soon but rice pudding / custard otherwise. AFAIK fat inhibits glycogen production so chocolate milk, rice pud etc. is not quite as good as something without any fat.

For 3) Stretching (afterwards) Cold shower on the legs and eat something with protein (taken care of in “1”)

For 4)
    Sleep (a quick kip after really helps!)

MrSmith
    Free Member

when i have the time to keep the volume of riding up i can get a gold time on a sportive, don’t race but would only be a cat 4. can keep up with the 3&4’s on social rides as long as i don’t work too hard at the front.

don’t need to worry about weight, skinny will add a bit of muscle on legs with more cycling but no love handles or belly despite being well into ‘middle age’

love food and eat well, very little refined sugar compared to most people thrive on slow carbs like oats, prone to energy drops so start eating and continue to eat on long 70-120milers. (would bonk after 50 if i didn’t)

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

I might struggle… especially if your 75p is for a single serving that gives you the full 70g of protein?

Otherwise..

Tinned fish.
    Eggs
    Milk

All can give you the required levels of protein… tbh though I don’t look at price. I’m just much smugger more content knowing I’m putting proper food in my body as far as is practical.

juiced
    Free Member

+1 for a cold to hot shower. I rarely bother on short rides, but for harder rides i rate it.

Aidan
    Free Member

I think The Southern Yeti et al. are misrepresenting how you refuel after hard training… It takes a lot more calories than you can get from a recovery drink.

So a very convenient tactic is to have a recovery drink immediately after exercise, then cook nice proper food when you get home. If you’re going to go energy product crazy, you’d follow their advice to keep drinking their stuff in the hours after training as well. That’s the point where I draw the line and think I can do well with real food.

I’ve tried recovery drinks and solid food after training, and I’m convinced that the recovery drinks work well. Torq is the only one I’ve tried since I haven’t had enough downtime this year to risk switching to other products and screwing up my training. If the OP is feeling sore after riding, then a small tub of recovery is a cheap thing to try.

And in case you’re going to come asking for credentials: This year I set the SS record on the Iditarod 1,100 mile snow race, came 6th in the Tour Divide 3000 mile race despite snapping my frame, rode in the 2nd place Singular 24hr team at Bonty 24/12 etc. So I do know a bit about back-to-back riding.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Aidan – those credentials stack up… hat’s off to anyone that could do all that without taking some supplements!

My words are more aimed at gym warriors than athletes!

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Pretty much what Aidan said. I think people do get sucked into the marketing obviously (not saying that about anyone on this thread before you get into a steroid rage!)

And yes I have some credentials too. I work with Elite athletes/coaches/strength and conditioning coaches and Elite nutritionists.

And the TSY makes some valid points, I know it doesn’t sit well with some.

Still, you pays your money…

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Chunky & Aidan… I’ve got a seven day event coming up at the end of the month and have been wondering about nutrition more during the days than for recovery.

Would either of you have any reccomendations for products that are easy to consume, light to travel with (flying), and provide the 60-70g of carb / hour, advised for endurance events? Ta.

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

TSY, I’ll flick our nutritionist a message – although he’s in NZ at the moment 😉

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member
    seth-enslow666
    Free Member

I think you need a good does of Amino acids and protein which does help with muscle recovery. I also find creatine helps me. I always take protein powder after the gym and it makes a good difference to recovery the day after. Some of the powders out there though from the big brands are full of chemicals and all sorts and things. I always get them from bulkpowders.co.uk or Myprotein on line. I just buy unflavoured whey. There way cheaper than some of the others and top quality and good service. Try some BCAAs and some good whey powder from one of those it wont break the bank.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve got a seven day event coming up at the end of the mont….

watdat?

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Trans Provence.

mustard
    Free Member

Sorry to take this back to the top of the page but I can’t believe no one else has picked up on it;

Kryton57 – Member

IIRC thats about £5’s worth of chicken breasts plus the cost/time/inconvienience of cooking it – difficult to do in CYB car park….

Kryton57 – why are you doing a Weights session in CYB car park? I would have though a gym of some sort would have been a much better place for it than a trail centre! I doubt you have the same protein requirements after a lap of a trail centre that you have after a session at the gym, although maybe CYB is more of a workout than the Scottish trail centres, I dont think I’ve been.

druidh
    Free Member

Surely it depends on how much you ride your bike and how much you have to carry it?

Anyway – nowt wrong with using your bike for a quick bit of weight-lifting…..

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

*swoons*

That’s the money shot, a real genuine man, waving his metal in the air.

mustard
    Free Member

My eyes! – I hope that’s the pic dgoab will be using on t blog! 😆

Oh and Yeti, I’m no expert, but i’d probably try to have a variety of things to eat while riding. Shot Blocks are pretty good but if they’re all you’re having during the day you’ll tire of them fast (or melt your teeth!). Have some enegy bars and maybe gels too. Rank tasting caffeine gels are good for emergencies as that way you won’t be tempted to have them unless you really need it.

The Honey Stinger sweets are good too.

I like Clif bars, but noticed the other day they are quite high in fat, so might not actually be that great for during excercise. Torq bars are pretty tasty too.

Nuts and seeds are good for a savory fix, but again I’m not sure what the experts will have to say about that due to the fat content.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Mustard… I gernerally just eat fruit and nut mix or preferably trail mix as it’d clearly designed for mountain biking.
    Not going anywhere near gels… disgusting.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘Recovery Supplements’ is closed to new replies.