Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Recons on 456? And would 18" too big?
  • bertberr
    Free Member

Hi, thinking of building up a 456, and putting some Recon 327 Solo Airs on (80/100/130mm)… anybody else run solo air recons or is coil where its at?

And, I'm 5ft 8 1/2", anybody this height with an 18", or are all the other short arses on 16's? I know sizing is fairly subjective, with different body shapes / limb lengths etc clouding the issue, but just be interesting to hear what others my height are riding, and if they regretted going for the 16 or 18? My inside leg is approx 31".

Cheers

thomthumb
    Free Member

got coil pikes on mine.

and i think 16" would be your size. compare the ETT with your current bike.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I'm 6ft with stubby legs and ride an 18", I would go for a 16" at your height, there isn't much in it in terms of length

rexated
    Free Member

I'm 5'10". I ride a 16" 456 and a 18" inbred – I'd definitely recommend the 16" 456 for you.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Got Recon solo air's on my 456, set to 120mm. Seems to suit the bike well, although RS dual air forks ride a lot better IMO.

Saccades
    Free Member

32" leg on a 18" here with 150mm air forks.

it's great.

bertberr
    Free Member

OK, so Solo Airs a possability, though perhaps I should look into some Pikes? For those of you with adjustable travel, what seems to work best – I've read that 130 seems pretty good?

As a matter of interest, what other forks are peeps running here?

And I seem to have read a fair bit about bad chain suck on both standard Inbreds & 456's – did it affect a particular build year / batch, or is it pretty much accepted on these on any age frame?

Cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

chain suck is a fault of a worn drivetrain not the frame, the frame just makes it worse as theres just enough gap to force the chain through and jam it where most frames either have no clearance so the chain cant get past or have masses so it cant jam. A few people have bodged it by bending the stays with a hammer. I havent bothered and its not bothered me, just use a medium/short mech and keep the chain short and under tension.

I'm 6ft and find the 18" perfect, I would have thought at 5.8 you would find it a gate through.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Recons on 456? And would 18" too big?’ is closed to new replies.