Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend/sell me a (used) compact system camera
  • wenanwhere
    Free Member

Looking for a compact system camera. Preferably one with a view finder or option to attached one. Use will be primarily for holiday snaps being taken by a novice so looking for something that has idiot proof auto settings. Also smaller the better really for carting around.

Looking to spend £150-200max, not sure if this is realistic but this range seems to flag up quite a few ebay options.

Anyone selling one or can recommend ones to look out for used?

cheers

Matt

molgrips
    Free Member

Usually some great bargains on here:

http://stores.ebay.de/OlympusMarket_Digital-Kameras/

It’s German but not hard to get round, they do speak English in correspondence.

Although.. why do you need the ability to change lenses?

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Thanks, not quite sure what I’m looking for though if anyone can give a steer?

molgrips
    Free Member

If you don’t want to ‘get into’ photography then you won’t want to change lenses, in which case you won’t need a ‘compact system’ camera as such.

Decent ‘bridge’ cameras are far better than small compacts in general and pretty much as good as the lower end compact system cameras. Except they are better in two key ways – firstly they are cheaper, and secondly the lens they come with is more versatile than the ones you get on compact system cameras. This means that you can take good close-ups and have more zoom range without having to shell out on extra lenses.

If you just want to take ‘nice pictures’ then go for a bridge camera. This one is very highly regarded, and particularly good in low light. Better than most compact system cameras unless you buy another pretty expensive lens.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/OLYMPUS-XZ-1-SILBER-DIGITALKAMERA-KAMER-ZUIKO-DIGITAL-OVP-/390492371124?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Digitalkameras&hash=item5aeb28b8b4

seadog101

After fumbling about and thinking about an CSS for a long time I reckon an Olympus one is a good idea. They have the the IS in the body, and work with the Panasonic MFT lenses too.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

molgrips thanks for the thoughts. Looks as though the one in that link is a compact camera though not a bridge, looked at a few in jessops today and the bridge ones were certainly a lot bigger? The benefits I was told from the CSC is that you get a much better quality picture than the bridges which I was told are essentially compact cameras with more zoom options?

seadog are you talking about an olympis CSC or a compact?

Are there CSC cameras that come with do it all lenses as standard as such?

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Anybody spotted any bargains out there at the moment?

RustyMac

You could have a look at this site and see if anything takes your fancy

http://www.mpbphotographic.co.uk/used-equipment/used-compact-system-cameras/

ska-49
    Free Member

Canon G9/10/11.
    Ive been using the 9 for a couple years now and am very very impressed. Very good quality with a solid feel. Lots of settings to get stuck into and a nice lens. The auto setting is also fantastic. Closest to DSLR standard I’ve found in a compact. Should be able to get one within your budget. I’ve got a waterproof housing for mine and use it for surf photography. If it breaks I’ll buy it again in a heart beat.

Hadge
    Free Member

Second exactly what ska-49 says. The Canon G9 and G11 are superb cameras and can be had for your budget. They’re solid cameras, have a large clear screen, loads of auto options and take brilliant pictures.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

You might get a CSC for your budget but you’ll only have the one lens which is likely to be fairly standard quality and limited range. So whilst you can in theory get better picture from a CSC you probably won’t in practice – things will be to far away, to close etc etc unless you spend more on extra lenses.

Personally I’d go with the Canon G cameras mentioned above for quality compact or a good bridge camera if you want to trade some picture quality for increased versatility. Important to remember though, in most modern cameras the user is more likely to be the weak link rather than the limits of the kit.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Will take a look at the canons thanks.

Had a look at a fuji xf1 today, probably out of price range even second hand but was very nice indeed. Also on the CSC front I was really impressed by how compact the olympus pen cameras were compact to others and a lot lighter as well for lugging around from what I could tell

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Oh and any particular differences, things to look out for amongst the canon g9-11?

dobo
    Free Member

the olympus pen csc are really good and you can use panasonic lenses like the 20mm f1.7 which is superior to the olympus equivalent.

i recon you might pickup a epm1 2nd hand for <£200 with 14-42mm II lens, which is decent
    epm1 has some quirks but image quality is same as some of the higher models, size and lens compatibility is where it wins

http://www.lcegroup.co.uk/Secondhand-Search/?Order=Latest&View=Grid&SHMake=&SHModel=&SHType=Compact+System+Cameras&Location=&Results=100

takisawa2

Canon G9.
    Others feel like Fisher Price in comparison.
    Tough as old boots also.
    You won’t be dissapointed.

dobo
    Free Member

i’m sure the G series are great cameras but the sensor in them isnt all that and if you didnt need the zoom id probably go for a canon s100.

wenanwhere
    Free Member

dobo the olymps ones I looked were these:
    http://www.jessops.com/online.store/categories/products/olympus/pen-e-pl3-14-42mm-kit-in-black-82294/show.html

This looks a good price
    http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/olympus-e-pm1-compact-system-camera-with-14-42mm-zoom-lens-black-11875767-pdt.html?srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~UFC-Compact_System_Cameras~11875767~LT&mctag=gg_goog_7904_&searchType=AdWordsSearch&externalAdId=17281163724&placement=&gclid=CIu1yor0x7MCFSHHtAodSHgAjw

Re the canons I looked at those, really liked things like the pull out screen and view finder and generally felt well made, but this was the downside a bit as well as they are quite bulky and heavy from what I could tell

PePPeR

I love my EP1, nicest little camera I’ve ever had. Get an Olympus the CSC system is ace!

wenanwhere
    Free Member

Does this thing solve the potential problem of the bulky lenses on csc that I’ve noticed to date, guess it would be expensive but best of both worlds (from someone who know little to nothing about these things!)

Panasonic Lumix X 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 lens for Micro Four Thirds

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend/sell me a (used) compact system camera’ is closed to new replies.