Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Recommendations? XC in Grindelwald, Switzerland
  • kevtoo
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I am getting rather excited about my forthcoming week of MTBing in and around Grindelwald. I've downloaded plenty of GPS tracks from various websites, but has anyone on here got any recommendations about "must do" routes or conditions generally? Ideally looking for some good singletrack & slightly (not too) technical downhill. I'm expecting to have to go up quite a bit…Ideally not technical climbing!!! Any thoughts or ideas gratefully accepted.
    Also any suggestions on campsites nearby(there are only 2 in Grindelwald itself) in case we can't get in (we are aiming for the Eigernordwand site if we can get in).

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

It's coming to the end of season now, so you shouldn't have a prob getting on campsites etc. I'm going to Saas Fee/Zermatt on Friday, here's hoping for some fine weather.

kevtoo
    Free Member

Yep fingers crossed!! Enjoy!

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I'd be really interested to see what you've found in the way of routes/trails – any chance you can send some links/details. We've been thinking about a trip to Wengen in Summer for a while now.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

you might know this already, and I'm assuming Bernese Oberland area is the same as the Wallis area, but if you're doing pay-as-you-go on the cableways, you can get a 10% discount by getting a visitor Pass from wherever you stay (ie the campsite). This also gives you other discounts ie car parks, mountain railway etc.
    have a nice hol yourself.

jim
    Free Member

As far as we could tell most of the signposted routes in the valley are pretty dull and stick to the minor roads and forest tracks, but we did find a couple of good routes from the Swiss Singletrail map*. I don't have it here right now but some rough descriptions:

The first follows road and then track up to Kleine Scheidegg, then a bit of a ride/push up to the next station (can't remember the name) and then joins the Eiger trail which is a pretty nice singletrack that runs along the foot of the face. It wasn't too bad for walkers when we did it but I'd probably try to avoid the weekend if possible.

The second went up the other side of the valley up to Grosse Scheidegg, then up to the First lift station. From there head to Bachalpsee on a track and then descend down the valley below the lake on a really nice singletrack. Technically riding up to Bachalpsee is forbidden but we didn't have any problems.

* I'm not sure if it was my own incompetence or just the map, but in some places routes that were marked as "singletrail" turned out to be double-track or tarmacked road which is something to bear in mind when planning routes.

RepacK
    Free Member

Have a look for the Eiger Bike Swiss XC race – they might have a course map.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Eiger Bike route

Could be fantastic, could not be ridable when the event isn't on, but the gps logs are there. Shame the map is black and white and the overlay is solid.

Edit – Route on GPSies

Looks like a lot of road

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Training route Open and sign posted from May onwards. Please comply with any special instructions on the route map. Out of consideration for nature, certain parts of the route will only be open on the race day.

hmmm

ir12daveor
    Free Member

Grindlewald is not the most bike friendly resort in the Swiss Alps. I've been trying to come up with a route through there on an off road tour of Switzerland and all the singletrails seem to be forbidden for bikes, or the lifts near them don't take bikes which would mean an extra 1300m of climbing for my route.

TBH, There are a lot of places that are much more bike friendly and if you are going for more then a day or two probably more worth while to go to.

kevtoo
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info so far. Looks like we might be doing some day trips from our "base"…!

gusamc
    Free Member

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en/interests/cycling/mountainbiking.html

I've not used the routes but this 'appears' to be a useful site.

nickegg
    Free Member

It may be worth getting a 'Swiss Pass' for the railway. It'll give you inclusive travel on the number of days you pay for as well as 50% on pretty much all mountain railways and cablecars etc.

kevtoo
    Free Member

Looks like we might be reconsidering. The footprint guide to Mtb in Europe suggests Lenzerheide is good. any thoughts?

Kitz_Chris
    Free Member

Interlaken is a better base; Grindelwald is too congested with walkers and, perhaps, too high up (interlaken has the benefit of being right at the bottom of the valley thus maximising every descent!)
    Try the singeltrack from Schynige Platte down to Wilderswil, and another good one is from Morningberghorn to Darligen. Both are mind blowing singletrack, but take a bit of sweat to get to the top.

Also, have you seen the Kompass digital maps? very good for finding singletrack, and you can buy them on amazon.de from the UK.

EDIT: if you're looking at the Lenzerheide region, Davos has some fantastic trails, and is a lot cheaper in the summer than winter (dont know about campsites though)

kevtoo
    Free Member

Cool, cheers. Think we are heading over to Lenzerheide instead- good access as you say to Davos and Laax too. Look to be a good set of routes here: http://www.bergfex.ch/sommer/lenzerheide/bike/?page=1

kevtoo
    Free Member

Nickegg- thanks for the advice. Sound like a plan!

ir12daveor
    Free Member

When are you travelling?

The area around Lenzerheide is great. You are spoiled for choice in the region even though the main lift in the resort itself is closed this year.

It is possible to ride quite easily between the resort of Davos, Arosa and Lenzerheide on some great single trail. There are quite a few routes from Lenzerheide itself depending on whether you want to ride up or use the lift.

Lenzerheide is 20mins by car from the new Alpen Bike Park in Chur which has 5 lift assisted runs (Haven't ridden them yet though). Its possible to ride down from Lenzerheide to Chur on a mixture of trail and fire road and then possible to ride from the top of the lift in Chur predominitaly down hill on some good singletrail with a bit of fire road thrown in too.

Lenzerheide is 40mins from Flims/Laax which has a couple of long freeride trails and also some really nice natural trail riding in the area.

Lenzerheide is just over 1 hour from Engadin which has more trail riding then you can shake a stick at.

You could Ride from Lenzerheide to Tiefencastle (on trail) then get the trail from Tiefencastle to Davos, Ride tons of singletrail in Davos and then ride single trail almost the whole way back to Lenzerheide at the end of the day.

In the Canton Graubunden (where Lenzerheide is) MTB is allowed on nearly all of the hiking routes. Its much more bike friendly then the area around Grindlewald appears to be. If you need some tips for the area let me know. If I'm around when you are here I might come up and show you some stuff.

kevtoo
    Free Member

Sounds fantastic, and thanks for the offer ir12daveor! We're going to be arriving on this coming Saturday (night) and staying until the following Saturday.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I'm riding in Wallis on Saturday, but might be tempted to head Lenzerheide direction on Sunday depending on what my better half wants to do. Unfortunately I've got the dreaded day job to keep me busy during the week so won't be able to head up that direction mid week.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations? XC in Grindelwald, Switzerland’ is closed to new replies.