Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Recommendations for Rotorua
  • perthmtb
    Free Member

So… just booked the tickets for a boys MTB trip to Rotorua at Easter. Looking for recommendations of must-do trails, and any other stuff/restaurants/pubs/etc. Ta.
    Edit: Should probably mention I’m more into flowy XC trails than seriously bone rattling DH stuff, especially as I’m still recovering from a back injury.

Brainflex

Check out ride rotorua for info on the trails. Also check at any of the bike shops or at Waipa carpark there is a café/bike hire/info centre.

ratherbeintobago

The dancing sheep?

Kahurangi

Rotorua is flow-central. You can’t really go wrong.

http://www.riderotorua.com/maps.php

I rode there a year ago with the Mrs – so we didn’t do much super-gnar.

Didn’t do the longer ‘outback’ trails () which I’ve heard are good.

We both LOVED Billy T. Rockdrop and Rose Garden (on the return to the trailhead) are good fun and not too gnarly. However you’ll skip The Dipper which is flowy and fun. Corridor was good, had some decent drops.

A-Trail good, Be Rude Not To… well, you’d be rude not to 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Do everything on the trail map with the possible exception of the top level blacks 🙂 Use the uplift on the corners/billy T side and make sure you do split endz 🙂

After that find out about Lake Taupo and the back country stuff out there. (I need to sort that out for our trip in May/June)

perthmtb
    Free Member

Thanks all for the trail suggestions – I’ll be working my way through them in the coming days and making my must-do list. Now, what about après-MTB? Any suggestions of fun activities to do on the days off/evenings?

ratherbeintobago

Any suggestions of fun activities to do on the days off/evenings?

I wasn’t joking about the dancing sheep.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://www.brewpub.co.nz/

Make sure you get a place with a thermal spa too, great to unwind after the riding.

There are zorbs and I hear the toboggan track is great for racing down.

It’s also Hobbit town up the road somewhere.

perthmtb
    Free Member

I wasn’t joking about the dancing sheep.

Do you get to slow dance with them, but them a drink, and …. 😯

Pyro

Noseclip. That’s a definite recommendation for Rotorua.

richmtb

I loved Rotorua when we visited NZ, it was definitely my favourite place on the North Island

Most of the stuff in Whakarewarewa forest was great.

Apart from the riding the thermal stuff in the area is really amazing. One of the thermal spa places is fed by a river that boils!

ratherbeintobago

Do you get to slow dance with them, but them a drink, and ….

Bear in mind this is NZ you’re talking about.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

slight thread resurrection…

Got any accommodation sorted?

Just looking at splitting our time (end of may start of june) between there and the Taupo area, catching Rainbow mountain and a few others.

perthmtb
    Free Member

Got any accommodation sorted?

Luckily got a mate who lives half an hour away from Rotorua. Used to ride with him every weekend in Perth until he went back to Kiwiland.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

well that is cheating!! Assuming he is going to show you all the good stuff off the map too!

perthmtb
    Free Member

He’s only recently gone home after a few years paying off his mortgage by working in the mines in WA, so the idea is more that we explore them together – hence my request for suggestions…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Recommendations for Rotorua’ is closed to new replies.