Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Recommend some big, fun all-round tyres
  • Kahurangi

I've been running Black Chilli Mountain King 2.4's and fancy something newer and bigger to take on Holiday to spain with me.

Big Volume (at least as big as the MK's)
    Reasonably Light
    Confidence inspiring/Sticky Front
    Tubeless friendly

The Continental standard tyres have gone tubeless really well, the bead seals nicely. A Larsen TT, in contrast, I had trouble with the ribbed bead.

I'm tempted to wait and seee what tyre/width/compound options are coming with the new Continental Mountain Kings, but will they be here within the next month???

What's the Maxxis combo that's big and popular at the moment and will they seal easily??

Cheers 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

2.4" Rubber Queens.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

2.3 continental Verticals work for me.

About £15 in Halfords if bought on line for collection from store.

Kahurangi

2.4" Rubber Queens.

One can get those in a UST with Black Chili Flavour, which is nice. They are heavy though.

MrSmith
    Free Member

2.4 rubber queen black chilli non-tubeless.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

You're welcome to borrow my 2.5 Weirwolves (I now have a pair)

jimmy

DH Minion single plys, 2.35 or 2.5. Anything on the back, the minion will keep it in check.

Kahurangi

The non-ust does save about 200g per tyre

http://www.nextdaytyres.com/tyres/Continental/Rubber-Queen.aspx

but is the sidewall 'normal' (aka "protection") or silly thin like the "supersonic"

Sorry for the loads of questions. Can you tell I over-analyse things? 😳

/edit – I don't think your weirwolves are as big as my MK's. You can get your callipers out if you want to convince me!

Northwind

I was a wee bit disappointed with the Rubber Queens… Decent enough tyres and grippy in a straight line but they lost cornering grip far faster than my Nevegals. Great for straightlining big rocks etc though. They roll like a smaller tyre but they also grip like a smaller tyre IMO, and the weight is pretty high. So I went back to Nevegals, which are a bit slower but a lot grippier, and noticably lighter too.

It's a big tyre though, rumours of enormous width are unfounded for the non-ust black chili at least, but they're tall as well which gives serious volume. Great for a rigid.

RUSHER4

Looking around at endurance start lines in Spain Maxxis Crossmark [front] and TT Larsons [rear] have it with Racing Ralphs the next most popular tyres. All in UST.

For more technical trail riding on rocks, scree and deepish sand Nobbie Nicks in different widths are the best I've tried so far, again tubeless.

Hope this is of help.

RealMan
    Free Member

Rubber queens UST. 2.2 if you can't fit the 2.4s in your frame.

epicsteve
    Free Member

Specialized Eskar. Not sure if they're as big as the 2.4 Mountain Kings but they're a decent size. Also fairly cheap, reasonably light and tubeless ready.

steve_b77
    Free Member

How about 2.4" Nobby Nics?

rudedog
    Free Member

Rubber Queen 2.4 black chilli up front and a 2.2 on the back – I tried the 2.2 upfront and didn't really like it – I'd agree pretty much with Northwinds assesment, the 2.2s are still really tall – pretty much the same as the 2.4 but the fact they are a good bit narrower means they can feel a bit unstable going hard into corners, especially if you run lower pressures (which you'd want to with tyres as large as these)

I think the 2.4 up front and 2.2 on the back is a great combo as I don't notice the the 2.2s lack of stability as much on the rear. The only downside being the extra weight (1.5kg for them combined). I think for the extra comfort these tyres give, the extra grip and control they give over technical/rocky sections and the fact they roll surprisingly fast for a big tyre more than make up for the slight weight penalty.

Kahurangi

I've ordered a 2.4 RQ in UST Black Chili. That way I can test out the clearance on the forks (Revs) and frame (456).

For a holiday (Switch-Backs Spain) and more downhill special tyre, I'm definitely going as big as I can get away with.

I don't mind a bit of weight TBH. Call it training!

alpin
    Free Member

have spent most of the season with 2,35 High Roller upfront and 2,4 Advantage on the rear. split open the HR a few weeks back and replaced it with 2,4 Fat Albert.

FA comes up a bit bigger, but doesn't have the cornering or stopping power of the HR.

the Advantage is staying on the rear and will be replaced by the same. corners well… doesn't unexpectedly slip out too often and provides lots of cushioning at lower pressures. bit of a bitch to get it sitting well on the rim, though.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Recommend some big, fun all-round tyres’ is closed to new replies.