Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Mech/Gear Advice!
  • whitetrash
    Free Member

Ok guys building a mini DH/Freeride rig (7" rear travel) and im planing on a dual ring up front (probs 22/34) and 9 speed on the back.

I have a new set of XT shifters, the advice im after is what rear mech to go for? I'll probably bung an XT M770 on the front and was considering a similar rear set up. However would i be better off using a Saint/Shadow to keep it out of harms way? I dont mind spending the cash as ive sunk a fortune into the bike. Just need some advice.

All help greatfully recieved!

whitetrash
    Free Member

Oh and i will be using a chain device on the front as well if that makes a difference

midlifecrashes

Only mech I've properly put into the spokes is an XT Shadow, have used all sorts of Deore/LX level before. Am having another go with a shadow mech, but it does look to reach much further from the axle and so be more vulnerable to knocks from riding in ruts or rocks close to the ground, despite being more out of the way from higher up stuff. Good strong spring on the Shadow though which keeps the chain pretty taut.

whitetrash
    Free Member

Hmmmmmm i do tend to ride some punishing trails with big ruts and rocks, perhaps the shadow isnt for me. Im not a very graceful rider im the first to admit!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Shadow mechs are ****

soobalias
    Free Member

given you already have the shifters you wont like my suggestion of an X9 on the back.

whitetrash
    Free Member

"shadow mechs are ****" isnt really helpful, some reasons would be!

I have an X9 on my Hardtail and i tend to find the first sign of mud it really complains so i am shying away from SRAM on this one (although i'll be using a SRAM cassette)

poppa
    Free Member

Get a SG SLX. Slightly heavier than XT but the cage is steel not Alu, and really the mech makes very little difference to the shifting. Plus it's probably less than half the price of a Saint if you get a decent price. Buy two.

whitetrash
    Free Member

Yeah i have looked at the SLX, however the money side isnt the biggest issue. I want the best mech to stay out of harms way and be reliable! Obviously i dont want to throw money away for no reason however

Three_Fish
    Free Member

If you're not bothered by the cash then I would recommend the Saint Shadow. The super-short cage version on my SX Trail has taken a fair amount of knocks and is still going strong. The SS cage is really tucked up and out of the way. The Saint is quite heavily sprung compared to the XT, so make sure that your cabling is well-fitted and well-routed.

There comes a point, I think, when one really has to stop excusing one's self for being heavy-handed/ungraceful/clumsy/whatever and just work at being more attentive and considerate. What it means is that you're usually going to be picking better, cleaner lines and, ultimately, going faster.

whitetrash
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmm im not really excusing myself, this is the first full sus rig im building so still building my skills up! This doesnt however mean that i want to build on the cheap because im a relative Newbie. Plus im not into just going faster, i like to tougher options sometimes!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Hmmmmmmm im not really excusing myself…

If you say so.

This doesnt however mean that i want to build on the cheap because im a relative Newbie.

Did I say, or even imply, that you should?

Plus im not into just going faster, i like to tougher options sometimes!

The "tougher option" being the one where you ride into things rather than over/around them?

That's my advice based on what you've said. You're free to ignore it of course, I don't mind; but when you're bored of replacing the parts you've twatted of things you can't manage to ride around/over, maybe come back and give it another ponder…

whitetrash
    Free Member

Jesus no need to get so funny about it…

What is it with Internet Forums eh?

My riding isnt up for discussion, i just want peoples experiences of Mechs and some advice on buying one.

Never mind, cheers anyway

Sheps
    Free Member

I'll try and be helpful!

I run XT M770 with double rings 22/36 with XTR shifters, XT Shadow M772 medium cage with XT 11-34 cassette on the back.

So far the shifting is creamy, I run loads of tight single tracks with brick sized gravel up on Exmoor where I live and so far no bent rear, it's been whacked a few times but it's still where it should be.

But my current DH build is going to be all Saint on a single up front, had a full Saint setup to try a few weeks ago and it seemed a little tighter. especially for FS/DH bike.

poppa
    Free Member

What is it with Internet Forums eh?

This is STW, you soon get used to it.

poppa
    Free Member

I want the best mech to stay out of harms way and be reliable!

If you say so. I think you just want a tarty bit of bike bling. 😉

whytetrash

Yep especially when you nick peoples names 😳

Three_Fish
    Free Member

My riding isnt up for discussion, i just want peoples experiences of Mechs and some advice on buying one.

The point came in the discussion where you revealed that your riding may be contributing to your problem. Pity for you if you don't want to hear it.

tron
    Free Member

I reckon an SLX medium cage will do you fine. And it's a lot cheaper to replace if you do mash it.

I'd also go for the SLX double front mech as it's shaped to match a 36T. Mine shifts far better than it has any right to on a 22/36 setup.

Then I'd spend the money I'd saved on parts that will make a difference to your speed – brakes, forks and tyres.

sailor74
    Free Member

XT shadow will be a good choice, im running one at the moment and it shifts really well, its also 'low profile' so reduces the risk of damage from roots/rocks etc. However….it isnt as strong as the saint im running on my play bike and for that reason thats what i would go for with a medium cage.

whitetrash
    Free Member

Cheers for some useful advice guys, i will probably go for a saint as it looks as though its what im looking for. I realise they are a bit expensive but then again when i price up all the parts ive bought its hardly a huge outlay.

Three Fish my riding cant really be a problem at this point as i havent finished building it, it's my first full sus bike and may very well change my riding. I dont claim to be a great rider but i enjoy what i do so frankly i dont care what people have to say… And hey if i like taking on the messy route rather than the fast route thats my call, i dont go out to race i go out to enjoy it. I have some hillarious moments on my hard tail and i intend to carry that on with the bouncy too!

Whytetrash i didnt steal your name, it was given to me in college about 10 years ago 😉

whytetrash

Hmmm bit close for comfort though…prefer you to be using something different TBH!

duir
    Free Member

I recently gave up on SRAM after years of failed rear mechs. I just had a 4th replaced under warranty without so much as questioning me. I have used X0 and X9 and whilst they are innovative, shift really well and look nice, in reality they have small design flaws that make them break. The big problem with SRAM up to now is the very poor quality/design plastic inserts for the limiter screws. They eventually break or allow the screws to come loose, causing gears to jam. Pretty disgraceful really considering the cost. Like so many SRAM products they are very nearly great but not quite. Shimano may not be as sexy or as light but it works and goes on working. I run Saint SS rear mech now on my DH rig and XT med on my AM and they are much more reliable, robust and cheaper than SRAM.

Interestingly SRAM have this year dropped the nonsense that was plastic adjuster screw inserts in favour of direct mount to the mech. Maybe the new stuff will be better designed and last longer.

whitetrash
    Free Member

Cheers Duir thats sealed the deal for me…

and Whytetrash stop whining like a little bitch

Whyte1
    Free Member

People are very brave behind there keyboard 😉

whitetrash
    Free Member

oh yes… the joy of the internet

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Mech/Gear Advice!’ is closed to new replies.