Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • recommend me some strong tyre levers
  • pete68
    Free Member

So far I’ve snapped 10 normal plastic tyre levers trying to get schwalbe ust tyres on stans rims.what’s the best options so I don’t resort to the screwdriver again!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Soma steel core levers (link) are excellent.

Most tyres can be fitted without levers, and it’s absolutely nothing to do with brute force; it’s all about technique.

Get one bead into the rim (should be simple enough even with heavy DH tyres), then insert the (empty) tube, push the valve in and get the other bead into the rim at the valve hole. With the wheel on the ground in front of you, use your hands like crab claws to push the bead over the rim, one hand feeding around to the right and the other off to the left. You’ll get to a point where you can no longer push the bead over the rim because the tension is too great on the exposed section of bead. This is the point where people usually break out the levers and try forcing the bead into place…

Instead, go back with your claw hands to the valve hole. As you’ve been feeding the bead in up the rim, the tension has been building on both the exposed section of bead and the portion which is already fitted. So, from the valve, use your thumbs to push the bead in towards the center of the rim… you’ll feel it pop away. Continue doing this up to the point where you were stopped earlier and you’ll find that the tension has decreased enough to allow you to feed more bead over the rim. Every time you’re stopped, go back top the valve and release the tension. Many tyres can be fitted entirely by hand using this method, although some may require the last few inches of bead to be pressed over with a lever.

z1ppy

I like the Soma ones, but the plastic eventually came off the end, revealing the metal core, so their knackered (had them a couple of years though). Trying Pedro’s now, seem decent(used with DT rims & UST tyres) but no idea of long term life & there plastic…

There are some metal only lever available, they may be worth searching out. As above, good technic is half the battle.

trailmonkey

pedros ftw

foxyrider
    Free Member

Pedros +1

aldomac
    Free Member

Pedros all the way…

ratherbeintobago

This bad boy?

Andy

lucien

Pedros – just got some, best I’ve used (for plastic)

Stoatsbrother
    Free Member

pedros

foxyrider
    Free Member

Well No the plastic ones for me:

SpokesCycles
    Free Member

http://www.probikekit.com/display.php?code=NP08571

If you can’t get them on with those then it’ll never happen.

jimithenomad
    Free Member

spoons?

ratherbeintobago

The thought also occurs (and I know this isn’t helpful) that you’re not meant to use levers with UST tyres in case you knacker the bead. I’ve not tried them with Stan’s rims, but you can get Panaracer UST tyres onto Mavic UST rims with soapy water & thumbs.

Andy

TiRed

Never needed levers to put tyres ON a rim. I presume you have one bead on. I normally get most of the way round the second bead up to the valve stem. Then starting opposite the valve again, force the as yet not seated bead into the centre of the rim all the way round working back up to the valve on both sides. Because the middle of the rim x-section is lower, this frees up precious mm’s and you should be able to pop the tyre bead over the edge of the rim at the valve.

And this works on some devilishly tight continental road tyres. I’ve yet to be defeated, it really is technique. Getting them off however will require Pedros or Park.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

Intense DH tyre irons. Thems the bad boys.

pete68
    Free Member

Pedros it is then. Don’t think its a matter of technique. I can usually get tyres on without a lever , its just this combination of nobby nic ust and stans alpine rims

jim
    Free Member

You are following the instructions, aren’t you?

http://www.notubes.com/movieztr.php

TooTall
    Free Member

What Jim said – use the channel in the middle of the rim – it really works.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Park for me.

StirlingCrispin

In response to your question:

One of these
    http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-TL-10-Shop-Lever/dp/B000C14LPW

or something like this
    http://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tire-Bead-Jack/dp/B001AYML7K/ref=pd_sbs_sg_1

Or Pedros, or as Jim says.
    Depends on the tyre!

poppa
    Free Member

Pedros. In shocking pink.

live2ride
    Free Member

Pedros are excellent. Simple but very effective.

hambl90
    Free Member

Pedros here too

cbrsyd
    Free Member

If it’s in the workshop and weight isn’t an issue use any of these

http://www.mandp.co.uk/products/list/Tyres/Tyre-levers

kaiser
    Free Member
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘recommend me some strong tyre levers’ is closed to new replies.