Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me some Road going mechanical disc brakes please?
  • rhid

As in the title really, Are the Avid BB7’s the best of the bunch or are the TRP SPYRE ones the ones to go for? Any other good options?

The Promax CX ones currently on my bike are not really doing it for me.

Opinions, experiences and offers to selling me things are all welcome!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

BB7. The road ones obviously.

-fin-

drofluf
    Free Member

BB7. The road ones obviously.

This. Great brakes, really happy with mine. Easy to set up, great stopping power and modulation.

MoreCashThanDash

Got BB7s on my CX commuter, used also as my slicked up winter road bike.

Nearly a year old, best part of 4k miles, still on original pads, easy to adjust as they’ve worn, seem less hassle than the hydraulic ones on my Soul!

rhid

They look to be the ones to go for then! I just ned to find a deal on them somewhere!

cfinnimore
    Free Member

CRC or on one or Merlin. Often the caliper comes OEM and you get it sans cables, but that has advantages.

clubber
    Free Member

I’ve had BB7s on my CX/road bike for about three years now and have just recently got some TRP Spyres.

I’ve only done one ride and only with the Spyre on the front but some initial thoughts:

– the Spyres are much neater/smaller

– the Spyre was a bit of a hassle to get set up but for no obvious reason though I think maybe it’s that with brand new pads, the pistons don’t retract quite enough to make it easy to avoid all brake rub and also possibly that my fork mounts are perfectly aligned which isn’t an issue with the BB7 orbital mounting system.

– The Spyre doesn’t work with my Hope floating rotors – the rivets catch on the bottom of the caliper

– The power of the Spyre is at least as good as the BB7 – or to put it another way, I didn’t really notice much difference either way

So basically they seem to work at least as well and are a bit lighter and neater. Can’t obviously comment on longevity or the avoidance of brake rub which seems to be the main issue people have with BB7s

FWIW, my BB7s will be for sale soon with a choice of rotors/mountings. Oh and the Hope floating rotors.

iainc

Hayes cx experts here and very pleased with them

P20

I’ve been impressed with my Shimano CX77 on my cross bike

hatter

BB7 Roads here but I’ve been consistently hearing good things from those who have ridden Spyres.

Waiting for Shimano to get their act together but it looks like they’ve thrown in their lot with Hydraulics.

Although…. 105 level Hydro STI’s with mechanical gears, go on Mr Shimano I’m listening.

gonetothehills
    Free Member

The Spyres are superb. I had BB5s for a number of years and they are worlds apart. I didn’t really have issues setting the Spyres up, and they’re real ‘fit and forget’. They take a very common shape pad and, frankly, having two moving pistons rather than the one on the BB5 (don’t know about the BB7?), are much better brakes. Pad wear is even, there’s no dragging or noise when running and the modulation and power is spot on. They look lovely, and weigh a lot less too. Highly recommended.

antigee

my only complaint on BB7’s is they howl in the rain (useful for errant ped’s on shared paths) do need regular adjustment but it is not too much of a faff but still has to be done

will probably swop to spyres when are available at some sort of discount the reviews all looked very good

clubber
    Free Member

My Spyre howled in the rain last night…

Jamie
    Free Member

Got TRP Spyres. Only mech disc I have used, so nothing to compare them to, but they do stop me, have loads of adjustment and look nifty.

antigee

clubber – Member

My Spyre howled in the rain last night…

oh well….but did you have to adjust it when you got home? 😀

would quite like some discs that don’t make me sound like I’m riding furiously

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some Road going mechanical disc brakes please?’ is closed to new replies.