Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Thomson Union Jack Seatpost – how's it look on a bike?
  • Picto
    Free Member

As per a previous thread on the forum, I like the look of the seatpost. Really cannot decide if would look naff plugged in to frame.

Anyone got one fitted to a bike they would like to share an image of?

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Noooh don’t you dare- you need ti or carbon!!!

scotroutes

Built-in obsolesence

Picto
    Free Member

Borrowed the ti one out of the fixie Pop but want it back in the fixie where it belongs. TBH felt quite good in the frame but it is a roadie post and I worry about bending it. A new ti one is just too expensive. Carbon, meh!

Fancy a black inline Thomson or possibly UJ one if can convince myself they look right.

jeffm
    Free Member

Horrible.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

I’ve seen one on a bike. I think they look fantastic, but I’d only put them on a British branded bike. Like my Saracen. 🙂

tazzymtb

you need a nice Ti one ooo and some Ti bars as well 🙂

rob1984p
    Free Member

Seems a bit weird to have the union flag on a foreign component to me. Plus they look wicked in black.

nikk
    Free Member

krixmeister

What do you do with it if the referendum vote this summer is a Yes?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Just naff.

theflatboy
    Free Member

Thomson Masterpiece ftw.

Picto
    Free Member

Kirixmeister,did n’t factor in the referendum. Suppose it could be a piece of historical memorabilia.

Reading the consensus is no-ish. Perhaps leave the bike as it is for a while, and avoid the wrath of the other half. Frame purchase has thus far gone unnoticed perhaps best not to tempt fate.

Picto
    Free Member

Doh! Double post.

ndthornton
    Free Member

Only if you buy the new Thomson Ti frame to plug it in to….

BigJohn

A double post would look even worse. Especially if the second one was a Saltire.

slackalice
    Free Member

The lack of pictorial evidence suggests that it’s not popular with the clique that is STW.

Have you tried other forum’s or Google images?

wwaswas

Have you tried other forum’s

Mumsnet won’t have any and that’s the only other forum, surely?

Picto
    Free Member

Googled for images but not found any of them fitted on a bike, other than one with virtually no post showing which defeats the object. Not tried other forums, but i figure the hive mind has spoken.

theflatboy
    Free Member

It doesn’t even look that good off the bike, plus it’s never going to match an entire colour scheme of a bike unless the bike looks pretty suspect to start with…

loddrik
    Free Member

I hope the blue sections are removable in the event of a Scottish ‘yes’…

njee20
    Free Member

Just naff.

+1

BigDummy
    Free Member

If you got these as well yeah?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    Built-in obsolesence

😆

Others lower down seem to have missed this.

I thought it was 😆 and I’m from south of the border!

Edit: I’d not seen one so googled it. Tacky as ****, you should buy one 😈

Andy

I think they look stunning, in a similar vein to the CK Rasta headset. So much that I picked on up cheap from the classifieds last week in a bad day at work type novelty purchase. Must admit though it will interesting to see on the bike. Will probably fit it to my Ti Singular Pegasus. Which is wrong really as its an italian made frame 😀

But then I find most modern hydro formed aluminium multi coloured TrekSpecializedGiant frames gopping so each to their own.

Built in obsolesence? Nah, but its a nice romatic idea while it lasts 😉

iolo
    Free Member

Each to their own but after googling the images it looks bloody awful.
    You won’t go wrong with a normal thompson elite – the best seatpost ever made.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

Why the stupid response saying ‘buy carbon/ti’ ? what use it that to anyone ? that doesn’t even answer the question…

I’d say go for it, especially if you’re going to colour coordinate the whole bike in red/blue anodised parts. Following Andy’s comment above, go all the way and get this:

If you’re already thinking about it, that means you like it and it doesn’t matter what other ponces think – go with YOUR instinct etc….

njee20
    Free Member

especially if you’re going to colour coordinate the whole bike in red/blue anodised parts.

Sorry, I just vomited a little in my mouth.

pop-larkin
    Free Member

DiscJockey- …..or perhaps we know him and which bike he is thinking of putting the post on???? – ie its going on a titanium singlespeed project and we are trying to save the man from himself

Andy

I find that CK headset and the SRAM Betsy stuff hidious americana. See its all personal choice.

Picto
    Free Member

Cheers Pop. Yes it is an one ti29er ss only frame, so vaguely British. Headset is black. Currently running a spin ti seatpost which belongs to a spin ss road frame. Will probably end up with a black seatpost though contemplating a bit of colour. Bank balance is suggesting I just get on and ride it and stop being a tart.

DiscJockey
    Free Member

OK cool – I’d assumed you were going the whole-hog (is that how you say it) and buying all matching parts. So despite my earlier rant, yes, a Ti post would look nice in a Ti frame :mrgreen:
    Does the Hope Eternity come with colour options ? (not really applicable if you’re on a budget, but at least it’s British).

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Thomson Union Jack Seatpost – how's it look on a bike?’ is closed to new replies.