Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Recommend me some older PC games
  • flyingmonkeycorps

That I’ve missed in the last few years, preferably on Steam. Nothing too new as my ageing machine won’t handle it (Doom is pretty much unplayable on 1024).

Action / adventure a preference.

Ta.

chojin
    Free Member

What’s the spec of your PC? It might help with the recommendations!

hatter

A few years back?

Bioshock
    Crysis (the 1st one)
    Spec ops the line
    Mass effect 1 & 2

I appreciate I may have to revise this once you post your system specs.

Drac

Dungeon Keeper is free on Origin.

kahunajb
    Free Member

Day of the tentacle

Cowman

A10 Cuba.

Greatest flight sim.

flyingmonkeycorps

I’ll have to check specs when I go upstairs. I know it’s an i5 with 16gb of RAM but I’ve no idea what the graphics card is.

Cletus

Starcraft and Diablo 2

martinhutch

Half Life 2, can’t believe you’ve not had this one though.

Portals 1+2

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

I’ll have to check specs when I go upstairs. I know it’s an i5 with 16gb of RAM but I’ve no idea what the graphics card is.

Have a look at the latest AMD RX 460 graphics cards, you should be able to get one for under £100 from Scan.co.uk. The reference design has no requirement for extra power from the PSU so are compatible with pretty much any desktop PC from the past 5-6 years. They can play pretty much anything at low-medium settings and many games on higher settings.

Check out Gog.com and Humble Bundle for some bargains and proper retro games. 8-bit Armies and Grow Home have been great fun to play.

jointhedotz
    Free Member

I keep meaning to go back and play xiii again. Far cry was awesome. Try some modern indie stuff maybe?

aldo56
    Free Member

Baldurs Gate 1 and 2. Some of the best games of all time.

jekkyl

Team Fortress 2 is mint and instantly playable online for free, with many many other people. Soldier and Engy ftw!

xora

Also look at gog.com, has hundreds of old games for bargain basement prices!

flyingmonkeycorps

Aye I’ve played HL2 (and episodes) and both Portals, though I wouldn’t be averse to revisiting either! I tried TF2 but couldn’t get on with it, because I’m mtoo rubbish to play online!

greatbeardedone
    Free Member

Rogue trooper

Medal of honor

martinhutch

Team Fortress 2 is mint and instantly playable online for free, with many many other people. Soldier and Engy ftw!

They’ve ruined Tf2 recently with an ill-judged upgrade, too.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A10??! Not on the PC, shirley?

Falcon 4 is though 🙂

If you can’t run Doom smoothly in 1024*768 you probably have a weak video card/integrated. BeB is prettymuch right on (no surprises there) with the RX recommendation, however you can also buy a lot of old games for the price of even a basic video card….

I also suggest BioShock, it’s ace. Probably runs well with a vaguely recent GPU.

Command and Conquer – boxset isn’t dear in CEX/ebay. Runs on a potato.

Dead Space – ****** scary. Needs a little GPU grunt.

Marathon/Aleph One – before Halo there was Marathon, Bungie were really really good back then 😀 More likely to have compatibility issues than hardware ones!

Fallout 3 – scales well. Min Spec: Geforce 6800/ATI* x850

Unreal Tournament/Quake – you can still get pwnd online 😛

*sigh…those were the days…

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Also: Portal.

Yep.

takisawa2

Still play Unreal Tournament.
    Even on the basic pc’s I use for web browsing, basic office stuff, it runs great.

lowey

Far Cry series. 3 and 4 are superb.

TF2 is great fun.

Max Payne 3.

Dishonored.

unklehomered
    Free Member

Portals 1+2

+1

also Just Cause 2.

If you like wasting an entire evening obsessing over minutia… Cities XL.

redthunder
    Free Member

Worms Reinforcements

Worms Armaggedon

Quake 2

Motorcross Madness 2

Combat Flight 2

squirrelking
    Free Member

Nothing too new as my ageing machine won’t handle it (Doom is pretty much unplayable on 1024).

it’s an i5 with 16gb of RAM

Something doesn’t sit right here, there is no way in hell a computer that new should struggle like that, for reference mine is a Core2 QX6850 with 8GB ram and an HD7850 and I can play anything in 1080. Maybe not best settings but certainly pretty enough.

Fallout 4 and Doom have similar specs, I can play Fallout 4 easily.

martinhutch

I’m guessing the OP has a laptop with integrated graphics. My similar spec i5 laptop struggled with just about everything.

If it’s a desktop, and has any kind of graphics card, then it is surprising.

squirrelking
    Free Member

In that case pretty much nothing barring the truly ancient stuff will run. Laptops have regressed badly for gaming.

flyingmonkeycorps

Nah it’s not a laptop, it was a fairly decent midrange PC back in the day. The GFX card is an XFX ATI Radeon HD 5750 – no idea how good that is! The processor is an i5-2500K.

JackHammer

Tried updating your drivers?

Done some virus/malware scans?

flyingmonkeycorps

Nope but I will tonight!

JackHammer

I just built a pc with an i3-6100, 8gb and newer nvidia card. I’m not completely literate in model codes, but it should work with most modernish games it just wont be on ultra settings.

Easy things like updating drivers and clearing out the viruses might give you a big bump in performance. ATI card will want catalyst control center I imagine.

I’m not sure what a good free virus scanner is these days, AVG, Avira, Avast?

Drac

Haha! I thought you had some ancient rig.

Yup update your drivers it’s the hell of PC gaming

flyingmonkeycorps

Actually, thinking on, I may have not reinstalled Catalyst since upgrading to Windows 10… That would explain a lot.

Also, Dishonored is a good shout, I remember fancying that a while back, and it’c currently 8 quid on Steam.

Superficial
    Free Member

Doom is pretty much unplayable

I had that issue on the 26Mhz 286, then we upgraded to a 40Mhz 386 and BOOM, Doom all day long! So yeah, get something more modern you luddite!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Rocket League
    Prison Architect

squirrelking
    Free Member

Actually, thinking on, I may have not reinstalled Catalyst since upgrading to Windows 10… That would explain a lot.

I think that model is now on a legacy driver that only works up to Windows 8.1, I had a 5500 on my media PC IIRC and gave up on it as it was just too flakey and a PITA dealing with it after every update. COuldn’t use CCC either. Now use the onboard NVIDIA that refuses to output sound *sigh*

I’d get something more modern, that computer is more than capable of running whatever you fling at it.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cool. I’ll give updates a try then I might upgrade to something a bit fancier…

spacemonkey

THREAD RESURRECTION

Loads of these PC adventure games up to 80% on GOG.

Can’t go wrong for a few quid.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some older PC games’ is closed to new replies.