Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • Monkey island, discworld noir, grim fandango, beneath a steel sky…
  • captaindanger

I used to love these games, are there any modern alternatives? I played the monkey islands on iPhone which was enjoyable

d45yth
    Free Member

Syberia, and Machinarium are well worth a look.
    I’ve just been reading about Gemini Rue, which is supposed to be good.

njee20
    Free Member

All the Monkey island games were amazing!

ashweee
    Free Member

Grim fandango is being re-released on playstation platforms sometime soon

captaindanger

Cool! I think it was long enough ago I can play it again! thanks for other suggestions will check them out

Cougar

Many of them have been remade. The first two Monkey Island games are now in “special edition” format on Steam and GOG.com. Some of the early Sierra ones have been redone, there’s a new Leisure Suit Larry remake which is decent (and has a couple of extra puzzles over the original) and the first three Kings Quest games have had overhauls and have the added bonus of being free.

The original Gabriel Knight has a 20th Anniversary remake (in a nice bit of synchronicity, I started playing the original version this morning as it’s one of the few that passed me by originally). GOG recently acquired the rights to all the Lucasarts games, so things like Sam & Max are available from there with more to follow.

Speaking of Sam & Max, Telltale Games have done three modern series of their episodic games featuring the erstwhile crime-fighting duo, and whilst the Lucasarts original is still the best IMHO they are very good. I’m halfway through the last series now and really enjoying them.

The Broken Sword series are available for tablets (I picked them up in a Humble Bundle offering a bit back).

Tim Shafer (of Grim Fandango fame) Kickstartered a “Double Fine Adventure” which became Broken Age. I’ve not played it, but it looks like it could be fantastic.

Cougar

Personally, I’m holding out for a HD remake of this:

Lucasarts were purportedly working on one before the plug was pulled, last I heard it was 80% complete. In an ideal world GOG or someone would pick this up, but who knows.

captaindanger

not sure what that is? Gog has beneath a steel sky for free though

racefaceec90

bloody awesome,thanks for the links to the free games 😀

have never played any of the king’s quest games,but i have played beneath a steel sky (on my trusty amiga A500+).

obviously nothing more needs to be said about monkey island games (some of the best games ever made 😀

isitafox
    Free Member

Kings Quest were pretty good. I completed Steel Sky on my iphone I think a few years ago as well as Broken Sword 1+2. All the monkey island games have been remade for Playstation though you can play with the original graphics and interface. They also made a new game spread across a few episodes so if you have access to a PS3 or 4 it’s worth checking them out.

Always absolutely LOVED day of the tentacle as well!

samuri
    Free Member

I’d love to see a remake of the original Populous. I’ve played one of the ports but the graphics are crap. There was something very therapeutic about building land, gaining more followers, destroying your enemies. I appreciate more complex games of the same ilk have come along but it was the simplicity of the original I liked.

Pook

Pick up rubber chicken with a pulley in the middle

atlaz
    Free Member

I shouldn’t have looked at GOG; too many games I loved in the 90s… including Planescape Torment on Mac. My favourite game ever. Oh. Dear.

Cougar

GOG is dangerous for me, I played a lot of “arcade adventure” and pure adventure games as a kid. I played most of the Sierra -Quest and Lucasarts games, but I can go further back to stuff like Pyjamarama and the Dizzy series, which looking back were insanely difficult. For the uninitiated, imagine something like Monkey Island where you could only carry two or three items at a time, had no save function, and most rooms had things in which were trying to kill you.

Ooh, I know one we forgot – Simon the Sorcerer. Great series (the first two, anyway) and the talkie version is voiced by Chris Barrie IIRC.

trail_rat
    Free Member

simon the sorcerer – great game …..

came on about 20 Floppy disks though (amiga 1200)

like wise – dizzy was a great game too – as you say insanely hard.

never really got into monkey island.

hatter

Day of the testicle (as my dad called it) took my life over for about 2 months when I was 13, one of the first games to really absorb me.

The Deponia series is probably the closest in spirit to the point & clock classics of old but the scripts have never really reached the heights of the Lucasarts golden age.

Cougar

I rate DoTT and the original Sam & Max amongst the finest of the genre.

DoTT is just inspired. You’ve got three characters stuck, respectively, in the past present and future, and have the ability to send objects back and forth. Makes for some really mind-bending puzzles that when you crack go “oh, of course!” in a really satisfying manner. One example (SPOILERS!), at one point you need a wooly jumper for a hamster. You have a regular jumper, so what do you do? Fire it back in time, stick it in a tumble drier for a couple of hundred years and then collect it again with your character in the present. Presto, one shrunk-to-hamster-sized jumper.

The sense of humour and out-there insanity is a joy. If you’ve never played it, you owe it to yourself to track it down. (With their recent acquisition, I’m assuming it’ll be appearing on GOG very soon.)

Cougar

The Deponia series

I’m glad you mentioned that, I was looking at them only the other day. Might have to pick one up when I’m done with Gabriel Knight.

Oh, oh, anyone like Clerks (Kevin Smith movie)? http://www.randalsmonday.com/

Cougar

If you’re still looking, The Telltale Sam & Max bundle is currently on offer on GOG.

http://www.gog.com/promo/big_fall_sam_max_bundle_171114

£6 instead of £60 for all three series, which is a cast-iron bargain.

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

The creators of Maniac Mansion (inc. Ron Gilbert, creator of Monkey Island) currently have a kickstarter for a new classic point n click:

Cougar

Yeah – I just backed that (with guilt absolution).

Duffer
    Free Member

Interesting you should mention Simon the Sorcerer; that’s the first PC game I ever played. It came on 3 floppy discs initially (without speech) then later on something cutting edge called a ‘CD ROM’, which had speech (correctly identified above as Chris Barrie).

A couple of years ago I downloaded a programme, I think called called ‘ScummVM’, which enables you to play loads of those old point-and-click adventure games. That was on a Linux machine, but it might be worth investigating if anyone fancies it. Edit – Clicky Link.

Simon: ‘Hello, wizards’
    Wizards: ‘What makes you think we are wizards?’
    Simon: ‘Because when I move the mouse cursor over you, it says “Wizards”!’

Classic! 😀

squirrelking
    Free Member

Ah gog, got Cannon Fodder and the Gobliiins series on there a while back, really should dust them off again 😀

I have a beat up copy of a Discworld game sonewhere, I really should get Dosbox and see if it will run!

Cougar

A couple of years ago I downloaded a programme, I think called called ‘ScummVM’, which enables you to play loads of those old point-and-click adventure games. That was on a Linux machine, but it might be worth investigating if anyone fancies it.

The beauty of ScummVM is it’s cross-platform. Retro point & click classics on your tablet? Ho yus.

GregMay
    Free Member

Thanks for the heads up on the Kickstarter – backed it at the Guilt Absolution level as well.

Cougar
    D0NK

Scummvm… used to have that on a pda, might have been an axim. Monkey island was fun, I never played the original and handheld gaming to me have always been a bit of a time-filler while I’m waiting for something else, so I’m not a big fan.

Got Machinarium on the ipad, enjoyed it for a while but got stuck and kinda lost interest.

no save function, and most rooms had things in which were trying to kill you.

old games were a bit crap in that department, spend an hour getting back to where you were last time and a daft mistake sends you back to square 1. Mind you I abuse quicksave when available which TBH destroys the flow* of games so we’ve possibly gone too far the other way.

*”Ooh I lost a bit too much health there, I’ll redo that section…”
    and again
    and again

smurfly13
    Free Member

I am rubber, you are glue!

BiscuitPowered
    Free Member

Fun fact, those insults were all written by the guy who wrote Enders Game.

nach
    Free Member

Cougar:

Personally, I’m holding out for a HD remake of [Day of the Tentacle]

Not many details, but Double Fine announced in December that they’re working on a special edition of DotT:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/12/08/day-of-the-tentacle-special-edition/

Cougar

Thanks for that, that’s just made my day.

Drac

Grim Fandango is free for Playstion Plus members this month.

Pook

My name is Bobbin. Are you my mother?

nant
    Free Member

Those old Indiana point and click were awesome as well. Will they all run on my pi?

eskay

I am stuck on Monkey Island 2!! I played them all years ago and discovered I could run them on my tablet recently. Did one a while ago but two is doing my head in!!

jeffl

It’s worrying. I played monkey island 1 and 2 when I was 12/13. I picked them up on the cheap a few years back and although it had been 20 years since I last played them I remembered how to complete all the puzzles.

Edit: meant to ask which but you’re stuck on.

Del

you think that’s worrying. i’m playing wolfenstein – the new order, and there’s a section that puts you in to wolfenstein 3D, and i remembered where the guards were…

Xylene
    Free Member

try Inner World on your phone or tablet – decent but short point and click

steveoath
    Free Member

Oooooo

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Monkey island, discworld noir, grim fandango, beneath a steel sky…’ is closed to new replies.