Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Recommend me some long road rides near glasgow and just north
  • jonba
    Free Member

Was thinking about driving up to somewhere near Glasgow for a weekend of road riding. I was hoping to get out into some proper hills and new roads . I was thinking Trossachs and towards Oban as I’ll base myself somewhere and am happy to drive a little further to the start of the ride.

looking for 2 long rides, minimum 100 miles but ideally 125-150.

I’ve found a few sportives that look like the good basis for a route but are there any to recommend. There seems to be a shortage that actually go into the Trossachs or that are anywhere around Oban. not many Audax rides that I can find either. Seems strange as there a good handful of the “100 greatest climbs” in the area and they normally suggest some interesting riding.

13thfloormonk

Typing on my phone otherwise this would be a long one! There is some great stuff between Glasgow and Oban. I would suggest starting at Helensburgh and heading uphill and east before turning north into Glen Fruim and taking the twisty wee descent to Garelochhead.

Head along the coast before climbing up and over to Loch Lomond via Glen Douglas. Head along the Loch Lomond cycle path to Tarbert and the back west to Arrochar.

Climb the Rest and be Thankful being sure to take the wee farm road through the middle of the Glen (starts halfway up). At the top take a left and descend some switchbacks towards Lochgoilhead. Take a right at the bottom and climb through Hells Glen.

Follow coastal route to Inveraray before climbing up and over to Dalmally. Follow main Oban road as far as Taynuilt before turning left through Glen Lonan. Take a quick right/left combo at the end of the Glen and enjoy the final steep and twisty descent into Oban. Grab chips at Nories, get on train back to Helensburgh/Glasgow 8)

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’d suggest heading up towards aberfoyle and ride from there, or if you’re setting off on a Sunday morning head straight from Glasgow.

I rode from home, Kilmarnock, last year, up to Aberfoyle via Drymen/Gartmore, out to Stronachlacher, round Loch Katrine back over the Dukes pass then home – that was 128 miles.

Or head out to Kilsyth and take the classic Tak Ma Doon road and just keep riding.

Or take the ferry from Gourock to Dunoon and head North, the riding is pretty good whichever road you take.

13thfloormonk

As for Trossachs I’m not sure of best route out of Glasgow but once at Balloch you can follow excellent signed cycle route to Drymen then climb up and over the old Gartmore Road to Aberfoyle. Then climb Duke’s Pass and do a loop of Loch Katrine before heading south again to Clachan of Campsie. Climb Crow Road then continue eadt on wee minor road over hills towards Stirling. Then double back on yourself taking the Tak Me Doon road through Carron Bridge and slightly further east, before turning south again and heading for Falkirk and train back to Glasgow.

This one might need some refinement and double checking on Google maps, I haven’t ridden it yet!

13thfloormonk

Ha, Gary_M beat me to it!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Depends where you park in Glasgow but if you just head out towards Bearsden and then Carbeth you’ll get to Drymen, I think the Old Gartmore Raod is signposted as a cycle route anyway.

You could also do Glasgow-Lennoxtown-Crow Road-Fintry, then head back over to Carron Bridge and then Tak Ma Doon road to Kilsyth. Plenty of climbing involved. That’s a 20 mile loop, then 12ish each way from Glasgow but you can easily extend it at Fintry or Carron Bridge.

Have a look at the Trossachs Ton route for some ideas.

To be honest I don’t generally bother following routes, I just get to the end of a road and decide to go left/right/straight on as the mood takes me. Up that way you won’t go far wrong just following your nose.

jonba
    Free Member

Thanks, some of these look interesting!

2tyred

I live just north of Glasgow, my favourite three big routes from the door are:

– Cowal peninsula (over to Clydebank, Erskine Bridge, Gourock, ferry to Dunoon, Tighnabruaich, Otter Ferry, Hell’s Glen, Arrochar, Balloch, Drymen, Strathblane, Campsie Glen)

– Anniesland winter bunch route (Anniesland, Dumbarton, Cardross, Helensburgh, Garelochhead, Rosneath peninsula, Whistlefield, Loch Lomond, Balloch, Drymen etc)

– Trossachs 3 lochs (Lennoxtown, Fintry, Kippen, Thornhill, Invertrossachs, Loch Katrine, Stronachlachar, Aberfoyle, Lake of Mentieth, Buchlyvie, Drymen etc)

Loads of options within those routes, Cowal peninsula has some great roads and nowhere’s busy.

Arran (ferry from Ardrossan) can be a great ride, although south of Glasgow.

Perthshire’s got great roads and is easily reachable going via Stirling and Bridge of Allan and you can head back to Glasgow via the Trossachs.

julzm
    Free Member

Good wee bike friendly B&B just outside Callander in the trossachs, got locked storage, washing facilities and on a NCR. Auchenlaich farmhouse it’s called. They get a lot of bikers.

will
    Free Member

2tyred, like the sound of your routes.

A few I did in December:
    Out on the A81 towards Aberfoyle, up Dukes Pass and then back through Dryman
    https://www.strava.com/activities/444094734

Plotted this one, but didn’t have time:
    https://www.strava.com/routes/3727536

Similar to what others have said really, as soon as you get into the Trossachs though it’s amazing!

jonba
    Free Member

Don’t suppose you helpful people know of anywhere cheapish to stay north of the city? B and B type accomodation that has single rooms?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me some long road rides near glasgow and just north’ is closed to new replies.