Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Recommend me my first FS bike !!
  • TheDBF
    Free Member

Looking to get my first FS bike but not sure what. Have narrowed it down to Spesh/Fuel EX/KTM

My riding is mainly XC/local woods/occasional downhill.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

What have you tried out so far?

fotorat
    Free Member

Give us a clue on your budget

jonb
    Free Member

Do you prefer the colour of the Trek or the Spesh? They're both good bikes. When I was deciding between the two I found the positioning on the Trek felt short and so I needed a longer stem. The Spesh felt fine so I went for that. I think it was more down to me being on the border of two sizes than anything else and the spesh was a better fit.

Compare equivalent spec for the money and see which one is better value. At least have a ride around the street outside a shop before you buy. Do the old riding off a kerb test.

fotorat
    Free Member

if its a bit tight then for the ultimate all in cheap but great deal check out the Proflex 768. and with the money you save over FSRXC or EX, you can upgrade the chainset and wheels!

TheDBF
    Free Member

Sorry folks, forgot to put a budget….Anything from 1k to 2k although midway would rather than the top end of the budget preferably.

As for having tried anything, nothing really other than a mates treky..

br
    Free Member

go on a demo day

Carpediem
    Free Member

Forgive my blondness in asking what may be an obvious question, but what is the riding of the pavement test?

si-wilson
    Free Member

The Trek's look really nice, but both Spesh and Trek make great bikes these days, you won't go far wrong with either.

Gary Fisher HiFi is also very highly thought of so worth a look.

If you want something different then have a look at this 🙂

http://www.singletrackworld.com/2010/01/new-deals-from-chumba-progressive-bikes/

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

My first bike Specialized Stumpjumper. I still think it's a great bike, and don't think I'll ever get rid. Comps used to be about £1500, so just right. Great for what you want it for

Chew
    Free Member

+1 for the Stumpy.

Got one myself, and ride techincal XC, local woods, all day Lakes/Dales/Peaks.

More bike than i'll ever need. Long time until you'll outgrow a bike like that.

Got myself a 2009 comp model for £1200. Shop around and see if you can get last years model, and save a few quid.

TheDBF
    Free Member

I have thought about a stumpy but again the high end of my budget where the fsr is more mid ground 😕

vrapan
    Free Member

Anthem X in your books at all? No pedal bob, very light, rides as fast as you can and it is very versatile.

TheDBF
    Free Member

tbh Giant just don't float my boat 🙄

TheDBF
    Free Member

What about one of these ???

Olly
    Free Member

Giant Trance. (except they dont make them anymore)

Giants should float your boat 😉 they really are awesome links

it seems your not sure on anything really, use, travel, attitude.

i would reccomend, as others have, a demo day, and have a go on a load of bikes on proper trails, not riding off a kerb. (riding of a kerb is SLIGHTLY useful if you know exactly what you are feeling for, but no use for most people, i would suggest)

enfht
    Free Member

Don't consider buying anything you havent demo'd properly first.

I was seriously unimpressed when I lost my FS cherry last Sunday on a very well known and well respected 3k bike.

I wont be trading in my steel hardtail anytime soon

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

You mentioned a bit of downhilling. While the Stumpy isn't really suited to that, it is all mountain. That's a lightweight bike designed for cross country.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me my first FS bike !!’ is closed to new replies.