Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Recommend me complete bike maintainence book
  • slightbreeze
    Free Member

I fancy having a crack at getting hold of a few battered old bikes and doing them up as fixies or single speeds. But I only know the very basics, I have no idea how to change a headset or bottombraket but would to learn.
    So any Haynes style books out there you can point me in the direction of?
    Cheers people!

wwaswas

Park Blue book is good.

It’s pretty much the same info as on their website but avoids getting grubby fingermarks all over your nice white laptop…

RobHilton
    Free Member

That one ^ or this one

meehaja
    Free Member

I’d say go to the tip, get any old bike and start taking it apart and putting it back together. any questions ask on here or watch the youtube video!

davidjones15
    Free Member

Another vote for Youtube, you get to see things moving, see?

slightbreeze
    Free Member

I have used YouTube before and it is great. But I am after a book I can flick through to get an idea of the whole job if you like. Also a book sometimes is a bit better to refer back to in the middle of a job and covered in grease.

TooTall
    Free Member

The problem with old bikes can be the old standards things are made to – which won’t be in a book. Odd Imperial sizes and strange hub widths are only the start of it!

Muke
    Free Member

Its not a book but a good point of reference is of course…

Sheldonbrown.com

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

You know any decent bike mechanics? in your lbs? Get 4 of you together, give him/her, say, 25 quid each, and ask if you can do a couple of evenings fettling with your bikes under his/her supervision. Most bike mechanics would be glad of the extra cash.

sputnik
    Free Member

I think Maheeja’s advice is good. Fixies n old bikes are very basic, you will get the hang of it very easily, ask on here, search web, Park tool website .

Northwind

Teh Internets. Park website, sheldon, and random googles are better than any book I’ve seen.

Though, the Haynes Manual: Bike is quite good for slightly outdated kit.

meehaja
    Free Member

Maheeja? I feel like an Indian prince now! My LBS always shows me how to do stuff, partly cos he knows I’m a fettler, but also because he loves talking!

thomthumb
    Free Member

The problem with old bikes can be the old standards things are made to – which won’t be in a book. Odd Imperial sizes and strange hub widths are only the start of it!

that’s only true of really old stuff. 40 yr+ maybe.

park blue book would get my vote.

sputnik
    Free Member

Ha Ha! Meehaja 💡
    So what is your name’s origin then if not Indian?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me complete bike maintainence book’ is closed to new replies.