Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me an XC race bike
  • roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

Need to replace my Maxlight XC bike after mindless accident.

Its for racing, but still needs to be strong, as despite being one, i dont ride downhill like a roadie (or car park hero for that matter).

Thanks.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Giant Anthem X1

Joxster
    Free Member

Spesh Epic

john_walker74
    Free Member

Maxlight Xc Pro2?

gears_suck
    Free Member

Sounds like your so good, you should be able to choose one for yourself.

hicksville
    Free Member

yeti asr sl

trail_rat
    Free Member

After a few initial specification issues (mainly my knees and hollowtech 2 crank design ) its an ace bike to ride , real comfy for long days but still sharp when it comes to putting the power down. Obviously no FS. As far as strong goes , ive taken more headtubes off “hardcore” bikes than i care to mention so its getting tested well .

tazzymtb

voodoo sobo scandium, stupidly light yet handles like a nutter.. and it’s nice that you only see the odd one or two at races rather than the multitudes of anthems, epics etc… blah blah yawn…..

GJP
    Free Member

Given your wanted Ad on the classifieds then a s/h kona kula frame would not be a bad choice if you could find one.

The Supreme (scandium tubed) is the full on race orientated one with the steeper HT whilst the other models are a bit more trail oriented with a slacker HT but still very light. A Supreme may be a bit over budget but the Primo and Deluxe frames would be nearer your price mark

I had Maxlight XC briefly and really loved it, then replaced it with the Kona which I also really liked – bit of stiffer ride than the Maxlight despite being the same Easton Ultralite tubing. My 17in Kona Kula frame was sub 1.5kg

Otherwise s/h a Giant XTC frame – cheap as chips?

Dimmadan
    Free Member

I ride an XTC and even though it’s a 2006 SE version that cost £500 it is an amazing ride. Frame design is perfect for racing.

funkynick

Depends how much money you are wanting to spend, but for a grand I’d say you’d be hard pressed to beat the Boardman Pro or the Cube Ltd Race…

mrfrosty
    Free Member

Sc superlite or yeti arc

0091paddy
    Free Member

Just over £4000 IIRC

£4860

£4500

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

Those white-wall tyres are truly hideous.

0091paddy
    Free Member

0091paddy
    Free Member

Get something rare like the above 😉

As for the white wall tyres, come on…they look pimp. 😛

chela
    Free Member

That Corratec reminds me a bit of a Skyway Streetstyler BMX. Except it’s minging and Skyways are lush.

How about a Kona Hei Hei

gears_suck
    Free Member
    oldgit
    Free Member

2009 Giant XTC Team frame, very cheap and a proper racer. Just throw your Maxlight bits on it.
    300 quid for a frame by a company that spends millions on R&D or several thousand on one that looks pwitty from a company that doesn’t.
    But I think the thing to do on here is buy one that no one really knows anything about.

roadiebiker-m.g
    Free Member

Forgot to say, Hardtail frame at about £100-£200 second hand mark. Cheers for advice though. Its just going through all the geometries that takes ages.

My mate has a Kona Kula he’s trying to sell wants £800 for it though.

njee20
    Free Member

Light, cheap AND strong? You’ll be lucky…

Maxlight is the obvious choice, old S-Works HT maybe.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an XC race bike’ is closed to new replies.