Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)
  • Singletrack Office Electricity Bill – £777 for 2 months with nPower
  • MrNutt
    Free Member

did the envelope contain a courtesy ball gag?

perhaps all that treadmill bike testing over the winter periods wasn’t such a hot idea after all! 😆

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Bastards. They are all bastards. Every **** single one of them. Bastards. Leccy, Gas, Telephone, Internets; the whole **** greedy lot of them.

I don’t think I need to explain who is ultimately responsible (please die, please).

Re-nationalise the bloody lot. Everyone needs leccy, water, gas and telecoms. It’s a disgrace how much we all pay for these things, just so’s shareholders can enjoy big dividends.

Bizarrely, I have actually just received a letter informing me I am entitled to a Council Tax refund. Appears they owe me £15 something.

I’m still in shock…

Spongebob
    Free Member

My council tax has gone up £300. I thought we were in recession!

I expect it’s all those index linked pensions they have to pay for.

We’ll keep paying coz we have to.

wildrnes
    Free Member

mark do you want to put this one to bed at all?

Mark

Latest..

Sales rep called.. Confirmed that our contract had ‘rolled over’. Said, ‘Did you not write to us to end your contract then?’ then offered to reduce the rate to 12p/unit but only on condition we extend our contract term to 2 years.

I said only if you backdate it to december. he said he couldn’t do that. I said, in that case we’ll stick with the higher rate and I’ll send in a letter of termination now so that our contract ends in december and they lose a customer. He’s gone to talk to his ‘manager’. Waiting for a call back.

wildrnes
    Free Member

that p/kwh? mark

Mark

12p/kwh

ourkidsam
    Free Member

Last week I had a water bill – 6 months worth (was a bit late in telling them we moved in) – £1,346. I live in a two bedroom flat 🙁

wildrnes
    Free Member

you have mail mark

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Last week I had a water bill – 6 months worth (was a bit late in telling them we moved in) – £1,346. I live in a two bedroom flat

W

T

F?????????

6 months? That’s more like 6 years worth!!! Or have you got a 25m swimming pool in your flat?

Slight error there, methinks. Decimal point in the wrong place?

takisawa2

£91 Mw/Hr here. (Big factory / Offices / Labs)
    But that was last August, might have gone up since.

What always baffles me is the amount used over a weekend, even with machines off its still 700Kw/Hrs each weekend.

All offices now have movement sensors to knock lights off till someone moves.

nickc

Mark,
    I run a small business (7 staff 1 office, heavy computer use) but have the same kinds of switch off policies, kettle filling, and so on as you clearly do. I use E.On. My rates are:

Primary units:9.21p/Kwh
    Secondary units 8.14p/Kwh

Last quarter was £227.69 (and all our heating is ‘leccy)

wildrnes
    Free Member

prices are down at the moment
    how much power do you use in a month?

ourkidsam
    Free Member

RudeBoy – at a guess it’s to do with the shower being half on for pretty much those whole six months. I was constantly reminding the landlord about it but he’s only just got round to sorting it out. We are also (unbeknownst to me) on a meter. Adding those two factors together = one he-youge bill. Obviously there might be an error on it too but I think it could be right.

wildrnes
    Free Member

nic c that is a superb rate

Gary_M
    Free Member

I don’t think I need to explain who is ultimately responsible (please die, please).

I really don’t think it’s fair to blame this one on Smee 😉

IHN

Re-nationalise the bloody lot. Everyone needs leccy, water, gas and telecoms. It’s a disgrace how much we all pay for these things, just so’s shareholders can enjoy big dividends.

Good idea. Because, as has been proven countless times, state run monopolies are known to be tre-mend-ously efficient. 🙄

csb

Be careful who you go with on these commercial contracts, especially if you’re on DD prepayment.

I negotiated a cracking rate for our electric with E4B, similar to Nick Cs rate.

Seemed it was too good a rate, as the feckers went bust with 400 quid of ours. So we’re now bottom of a very interesting creditors list – some big banks in there lost thousands!

miketually
    Free Member

Good idea. Because, as has been proven countless times, state run monopolies are known to be tre-mend-ously efficient.

The commercial companies don’t seem to be doing much better…

wildrnes
    Free Member

possibly have to disagree there
    we are not doing too shabbily

kelvin

Efficient at what?

Efficient at hiding the true cost to the consumer when they sign up to their contract?

What you choose to be efficient at is as important as how successful you are at achieving that efficiency.

Would our bills be less without the additional costs of competition, marketing and the pursuit of profits? I don’t know, but it’s not as clear as simply saying that things would be less ‘efficient’ without commercial pressures.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Good idea. Because, as has been proven countless times, state run monopolies are known to be tre-mend-ously efficient

They are, if they are invested in, rather than run down, then sold off cheap, to make quick profits for corrupt greedy self serving politicians and their cronies.

I grew up when Gas, Leccy and Water were all state-run, and bills were relatively a lot lower than they are now.

I mean, water, ffs; a basic necessity of life. Why do we have to pay for Water, when our taxes are spent instead on guns and bombs, which don’t really serve us all that well? I don’t want guns and bombs for use in fecked up immoral foreign wars, I want clean water, leccy and gas, and telecoms. I am happy to pay a reasonable amount for these things (apart from Water), as I need them, and I appreciate that it costs money to run these industries. What I don’t appreciate is that I should also have to pay a premium to line the pockets of ‘investors’.

Disgusting.

Gary_M
    Free Member

RudeBoy you can still get free water, just take it from the river, streams, etc.

kelvin

Gary_M, you have to pay to take water from any of those sources if you want enough for a household (or far more likely for farming).

Dig your own well : you still have to pay for the water you extract.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

I think that’s possibly illegal, actually; certainly in the quantities necessary for showering, bathing, toilet, etc.

We shoon’t have to pay for water, at least. Should be paid for through taxes. A vital necessity should not be controlled by any profit-making private enterprise. That is morally wrong.

Mark

ok..

Sort of compromise done..

New rate of 12.8p/kwh on a new contract for two years. But backdated to Dcember 6th so they are readjusting our current bill down a bit.

Now, we need to switch the 3kw coffee machine off a bit more often – seriously!

wildrnes
    Free Member

rude boy
    i typed out a massive reply but couldn’t be bothered finishing it

we are not bastards
    calm down, you will do yourself a mischief

sit down and have a think how leccy gets to your house, and think of how much tax payers money it would take to keep it running?

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Not as much as it does to finance illegal and immoral foreign wars…

Questions: How much profit did British Gas and BT etc make last year?

Where does that profit go?

kelvin

People who work in any system can be lovely well meaning people, doing their job well, but that doesn’t make the system right or fair.

richc
    Free Member

France, we sold the utility companies off to have lower taxes for a bit, and now we are reaping what was sown.

People were happy to have lower taxes, so shouldn’t really moan now the consequences have come home to roost.

kelvin

If they moaned at the time of the sell-offs, or were too young to moan at the time, then yes, they’re allowed to moan very loud now.

uplink
    Free Member

I’m with all the other Ragged Trousered Philanthropists devotees here

The necessities of life should be publicly owned & run for the good of the public not just shareholders

IHN

I grew up when Gas, Leccy and Water were all state-run, and bills were relatively a lot lower than they are now.

Have you got the numbers to back that up? I’m not sure it’s actually the case, I think the cost of utilities hs gone down in real terms (I could be wrong, a definitive answer would be good)

What I don’t appreciate is that I should also have to pay a premium to line the pockets of ‘investors’.

Many/most of those investors being pension funds, without which we’d be screwed.

I think (and I don’t have the figures) that the amounts taken as profit (much of which is reinvested) are probaby less than the amount that would be wasted if it were run by the state. Name one, well run, efficient, state-controlled entity.

wildrnes
    Free Member

last year we made no profit because we reinvested everything in a power station and a new wind farm
    this year we will be investing in upgrading another power station and work will start on another wind farm

djglover
    Free Member

The cost of utilities did go down in real terms for a long time after privatisation. Not sure on the position now as we are still riding out the commodity spike in gas and power that happened and is finished in oil.

I’m unsure if we would be in a better position now if we had remained a nationalised industry, I suspect we would as the govenment would’nt have been taxing North Sea revenues but reinvesting them more heavily in storage and generation.

With regard to tarriffs Spongebob, all companies have a standard tarrif which will go up and down with the market, albeit smoothed out a bit so you dont have to pay the spike and you pay a bit more when prices are at the bottom. On the whole Gas and power is a low margin business 4-5% so what we are charging you is far form extortion, and what is left after dividends is being reinvested in future supply. We can’t predict the forward price that well as we are a NET importer of Gas so fixed tarrifs ofted DO work well for customers. I fixed in 2005 at a premium and thats is about 35% lower than the standard tariff today. I never forsaw the current comodity price!

With regards investors, Most of our shares are held by big funds which are your pension, its in your intrests generaly for us to do well and probably not to buy gas and Power from businesses owned by companies not listed on the FTSE 100.*

With regard not knowing how much you use or are paying – people need to wake up. You spend more on Gas and Power than on petrol and I bet you can tell me your cars mpg and the price of fuel, but I bet you cant do the same for your boiler or gas bill!

*These are my views not the views of the utility comapy I work for 🙂

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Have you got the numbers to back that up? I’m not sure it’s actually the case,

Don’t need figures. Everyone I know, who new the 70s and before, says that the relative cost of fuel has gone up. And they’ve certainly gone up by a massive amount in the last year or so.

Many/most of those investors being pension funds, without which we’d be screwed.

Who’d be screwed? There are plenty of other things for pension funds to invest in. And, like, pension funds are so secure, right?

Profits from utilities could go into increasing state pensions, thius decreasing the need for private pension plans.

Hide your heads in the sand all you like; privatising everything was a mistake. Why does everything have to be about money? What about people, ffs?

Wildrnes, who’s ‘we’? British Gas?

Greedy

Grasping

Self-serving

Bastards.

Thoe Government now pays out ‘winter fuel payments’ to elderly and vulnerable people, as many of them simply cannot afford the huge costs of heating their homes adequately, during winter. Where does this money come from? Taxpayers. While shareholders reap huge dividends.

No, sorry, Necessary utilities should not be in the hands of private enterprise. Simple as that. You can make whatever bogus economic argument you like; People should come before profit.

djglover
    Free Member

Rudeboy, like I just said, you need to put those profits in context. They are 5% margin. British Gas have to publish their results here, no such requirement for the other utilities which are privatley owned. I wonder what EDF and EON are pocketing in terms of margin from UK consumers.

Did you miss the bit where I said that profits go to Uk pensions, that includes investments made by local governments for their pension pots too you know.

kelvin

Excuse me, but don’t go telling me that “UK Pensions” are “our pensions” because they’re not.

Private pension funds protect the rich in retirement far more than the rest of us, that’s if they protect anyone at all and don’t disappear leaving the tax payer to foot the bill.

RudeBoy
    Free Member

Did you miss the bit where I said that profits go to Uk pensions, that includes investments made by local governments for their pension pots too you know.

I did, actually. I’m on about SRP, not any other form of additional payment. This comes from the National Insurance Fund, toward which we all pay. Unless I’m missing something?

I admit I’m not expert on the complexities of our Economy, but I know one thing; Privatisation hazzunt worked. Simply because there is insufficient regulation. Becasuse our spineless governments don’t have the balls to regulate private industries sufficiently, to ensure any wealth generated by profit is spread a little more fairly and evenly throughout our society.

Norway’s fuel industries are mainly state-owned. People pay relatively high taxes in Norway, but enjoy a much higher standard of living than in the UK. Granted, it has a much smaller population, but they spread the wealth more evenly. Norway has nothing like the levels of social deprivation we have in Britain.

Norway looks after it’s people better than Britain does.

Why is our economy fecked? Why are we facing increased unemployment, less resources to tackle growing social issues? And increasing amount of Child Poverty?

Greed. Pure and simple.

So, all the utilities were sold off, the Quick Buck made, and now we have nowt to fall back on.

Brilliant.

Profit before people; cos, of course, people don’t matter, right?

IHN

Don’t need figures. Everyone I know, who new the 70s and before, says that the relative cost of fuel has gone up. And they’ve certainly gone up by a massive amount in the last year or so.

Oh right, as long as we can base everything on anecdotal evidence and hearsay then everything will be just dandy.

Did you know that policemen are getting younger too. And, of course, it wouldn’t have happened in my day, when this was all fields…

Sheesh.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack Office Electricity Bill – £777 for 2 months with nPower’ is closed to new replies.