Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Recommend me an Enduro/Off road Motorbike for Green lane winter fun
  • Mintyjim

Should be road legal ideally…Currently debating a Suzuki DRZ400E what are the alternatives? I’m not massively up to speed on motorbikes.
    Cheers

wwaswas

whatever makes it most difficult for cyclists who want to ride the same stuff afterwards I guess?

neilforrow

go for a 4stroke, with elecki start.

yam – wr426 /400, suzzi – dr400, ktm exc 450

or a kx500 for a laugh… having said that I had a KTM 200 exc for a few years… nice bike…

a fella in southerndownhill has a drz for sale at the mo.

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I’d just go for the most powerful, noisy thing you can lay your hands on. I believe the trick is to ride round slowly (because you can’t really ride worth a wa*k) until you see someone else, at that point rev the thing as hard as you can, wheelspin and cover everyone in sh1te and or rocks … the added bonus is that you’ll also rip the trail up, making it a total mess for you and everyone else!

Loosing the ability to read a map and distinguish what are and aren’t legal rights of way will also be an advantage.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OHHHHHHHhhhhhh some harsh comments from the green eyed monsters :-p

5thElefant
    Free Member

If you’re going to race, a ktm 200 exc would be the ideal bike. If you want to potter around green lanes and do the odd Trail Bike Enduro Club event then a DRZ would do nicely.

gusamc
    Free Member

If you’re an unskilled you’ll want a bike you can foot (ie depending on your height check seat height/width so you can get a foot down to push/support etc and the more a bike is over the more it weighs) so this restricts choice – I’m very short, I loved dt175,Xr200/Beta Alp/serows aka xt225- low, underpowered, very high functionality, I loved my kdx200 then kdx220 was brilliant, much,much quicker, but I could only get one tiptoe down by sitting on edge of seat.

4st may be more beginner friendly (flatter power curve), a hot 4st can be an arse to start, (esp when knackered and I can assure you that dirt bike riding is harder then mountain biking)-ie leccy start

It is worth checking maps/ROW as it’s now closed down to such an extent that I’d suggest it unviable in many areas.

Honda Xr, Yam WR, Suz DR350/DRZ. crm250 2t (also papmera 2t – trails)

Have fun – and you will on a dirt (motor) bike

fivespot
    Free Member

Not done any green laneing for about 5 years, so can only give my opinion from then………1st bike, KLX 250 = underpowered, unreliable, uninspiring to ride. 2nd bike = Yam WR400, Overpowered, Poor (ba5tard to get it right) starting, bit heavy, stalled very easy when going slow, decent handling. 3rd bike, KTM EXC 520, Bloody Hell What a Beast, everything good appart from TOOOO MUCH POWER. 4th bike KTM EXC 400, WOW Perfect, Easy starting, both electric and kick, Power and delivery spot-on, 6spd which make a huge difference on the road bits, light for a 400, never stalled, could also do 90+ on forest tracks :wink:. Last bike, Honda CRF 250X, Very light, great handling, BUT..only 5 gears, no torque &and stalled too easy…………..KTM EXC 400 By far the best.

Mintyjim

crikey, some hostile responses from wwaswas and still s8tannorm! Are you guys (tools) OK if I drive my car to work or fly to go on holiday?

Maybe I should point out that I’m currently trying to help the cops in South Wales pick off the illegal scramblers and 4x4ers who wreck the FC land and DH tracks here.

Anyway, I appreciate the useful feedback, I used to do a fair bit when I was younger growing up in West Wales so I hope I’m reasonably competent already! Good point about the leccy start, last thing I want is a kick start in 2 foot of mud I guess!

I’ll check out all the recommendations…mmmm KTM…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Some people just don’t get it do they? A green lane is a legal vehicular access so why shouldn’t someone ride a motorbike there?

Go ride your bike on a motorway and cry at all the fast cars 🙄

wwaswas

sorry, I thought this thread on an MTB site was a troll so decided to see if I could ‘out troll’ the OP. It appears to have worked!

Anyway, seems I overestimated you MintyJim, please accept my apologies.

My view on green laning;

Just because you can ride a motorbike/bicycle/whatever somewhere doesn’t mean you should. If it doesn’t cause the next person along any problems then fine but my experience is that everywhere that 4×4’s and motorbikes go offroad becomes imapssable to all other subsequent users.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

My view on green laning;

Just because you can ride a motorbike/bicycle/whatever somewhere doesn’t mean you should.
    Same could be said for riding a bike – it annoys walkers you know?

DezB
    Free Member

Can’t help but be surprised that any MTBers should be for “green laning”, whether its cars or motorbikes. They f*&k up the trails, are noisy and shit for the environment. But then again STW should never surprise me!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

I think people need to remember that some people like to ride bikes for their own reasons and not everyone shares a common view on the environment.

Yes I like riding an MTB

Yes I like riding a road bike

Yes I like fast cars

Yes I like pratting around with motorbikes and 4x4s on green lanes

No I don’t expect everyone else to feel the same as me

wwaswas

m_f – I was referrign to damage to the actual scenery, not peoples feelings.

If someone wants to ride around the countryside on a motorbike then fair play to them.

If they churn up everywhere they ride so that it becomes impossible for all other user to follow then that’s not good.

Same applies to horses, mtb’s and cross bikes.

There’s areas near me I avoid in the winter because I know that they get churned up by mtb’s (and others).

As I said above – I had assumed it was a troll post and responded accrodingly. Anyway, I’m off to a ramblers forum to ask what mtb I should buy.

DezB
    Free Member

Anyway, I’m off to a ramblers forum to ask what mtb I should buy.

EXACTLY what I was thinking !

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

m_f – I was referrign to damage to the actual scenery, not peoples feelings.

But the point is that a green lane is a vehicular access so damage will be expected. There are many more bridleways MTBers can use if they don’t like the damage. And where damage gets too severe the access is closed down anyway (like on Mastiles Lane for example).

Riding in the NY Dales and Moors I often come across rutted lanes and I either ride around them or treat them as just another trail obstacle.

wwaswas

I think we’re not going to agree on the ‘damage is to be expected and if it becomes impassable to everyone it gets shut’ argument.

For that reason I’m out.

DezB
    Free Member

Of course you’re right M_F, but that doesn’t mean we should approve of it.

For that reason…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

‘damage is to be expected and if it becomes impassable to everyone it gets shut’

You twisted words there. Well done.

wwaswas

not twisted, just summarised;

the point is that a green lane is a vehicular access so damage will be expected … where damage gets too severe the access is closed down anyway (like on Mastiles Lane for example).

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Sorry was I not clear enough? The VEHICULAR access is closed down. So the damage can naturally repair.

It never becomes impassable to everyone (I said when damage becomes too severe) – have you ever not been able to get past a few ruts?

lobby_dosser
    Free Member

get a Honda Xr or Suzi Dr. I ride my 990Adv on the occasional lane, but it’s a bit of a beast if you drop it or need to push it.

Mintyjim

wwaswas – “Anyway, seems I overestimated you MintyJim” oh thanks! Shouldn’t it be ‘underestimated’?? Ah, whatever. I accept your apology!

In my defence I did post on the Chat Forum for advice.

Again, in my defence I only ever went on legal fireroads, greenlanes that are so full of mud and water that you cannot possibly cycle an MTB down them. I have been a mountain biker for 19 years or so I’m not riding a motorbike to **** it up for anyone else.

Tiger6791

I don’t really get the anger.

Now I know 4×4 & MX bikes knacker green lanes but there are so few lanes they are able to go on now that it’s half to be expected and if you don’t like it avoid lanes and stick to bridleways.

Same goes for walkers, if you don’t like the way bike and horses cock up bridleways stick to footpaths where you won’t be sharing.

Live and let live

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Live and let live

Well said and pretty much sums it up in my view.

antigee

listen here legal but more often than not antisocial

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV2QUqxtXYo&feature=related

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

As in every walk (or ride) of life, you get those who don’t respect others. Your point being?

antigee

As in every walk (or ride) of life, you get those who don’t respect others. Your point being?

might be true but doesn’t mean that it is acceptable

live and let live i guess means be tolerant of antisocial behaviour

and what is the point of that?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

live and let live i guess means be tolerant of antisocial behaviour

What is anti-social about people enjoying getting out and doing something they enjoy in a legal manner.

It is only anti-social in your eyes because you don’t like it. Just like the walkers who don’t like you riding your bike where they are walking – to them YOU are anti-social.

Now had your point been about motorcyclists using bridleways or trail centres I would agree with you entirely, but they are riding in a 100% legal manner.

neilforrow

wwaswas, still s8tannorm, antigee, DezB – 🙁

so its fine for you lot to ride your bikes, but others cant… the argument goes both ways.. everyone who uses the countryside damages it…

there are only 5000 odd miles of legal lanes left for greenlaners…

yes there are guys on MX’rs out there.. but there are inconsiderate MTB’ers too… i am not saying 2 wrongs make a right, just we all are out there having fun, legally.

antigee: live and let live i guess means be tolerant of antisocial behaviour
    and what is the point of that?

unreal… such a blinkerd view.

antigee

What is anti-social about people enjoying getting out and doing something they enjoy in a legal manner

answer = noise level and excessive erosion

i keep being told that responsible offroaders hover silently in the countryside whilst doing ad hoc track maintenance but have yet to witness these angels of the lanes

as to making any comparison with mountain biking thats the same mistake that many landowners and objectors to mountain biking make – i suspect that those mountain bikers that feel the need to align with motorised off roaders are probably at the less responsible end of the spectrum

eddie11
    Free Member

i am amazed this isn’t a troll

not even the winter part of the OP? come on! isn’t?

antigee

so its fine for you lot to ride your bikes, but others cant

fine without a motor

unreal… such a blinkerd view

not sure – take for example sychronised swimming – i don’t understand it, i think people that do it enjoy the challenge – but ultimately it harms no one elses day out

listening to off roaders gunning it along green lanes and causing considerable erosion has a negative impact on other peoples enjoyment of the countryside – thats not a blinkered view

neilforrow

i suspect that those mountain bikers that feel the need to align with motorised off roaders are probably at the less responsible end of the spectrum

so now your saying if we like bikes and 4×4’s we are irresponsible…

let me put this into context… I have been riding MTB’s and racing for years… I have put a lot of time and effort into building and maintaining trails wherever I have lived… I have helped run clubs and events…

yer… really irresponsible…

I guess you have never ridden on a footpath…

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

answer = noise level and excessive erosion

But they are entitled to be there in their motorised vehicles – so why shouldn’t they make noise and dig it up a bit as they pass? If you don’t like the noise, ride somewhere they can’t legally go – you have much more choice then they do.

I think it is a very selfish view to ride an MTB in open countryside but then say someone else shouldn’t have the same liberties. Do you have the same view about people on horses digging up bridleways?

antigee

so now your saying if we like bikes and 4×4’s we are irresponsible…

ok some of them but i’m still suspicious that those that think some bad lawmaking from the fifties that allows noise and erosion in the middle of national parks is a jolly good thing may not be always the best people to show how responsible mountain bikers can be

yes i ride footpaths – same problem bit of legislation – i stop and smile at dog walkers and always ride thru puddles and use slick tyres and never pedal hard and fart very quietly

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

legal vehicles driven responsibly cause little issue. Its the illegal ones that cause problems.

antigee

I think it is a very selfish view to ride an MTB in open countryside but then say someone else shouldn’t have the same liberties.

am quite happy for anyone that rides/drives a motorised offroad bike/car to ride an MTB – see that was easy but i don’t see why someone should have a legal right based around a bit of poor legislation to allow an antisocial leisure activity which spoils other peoples enjoyment of the countryside

Do you have the same view about people on horses digging up bridleways?

churning up? not really, can ride thru it – not seen any 2or 3ft deep ruts caused by horses and i’m sure i’ve never heard one coming from 1/2 mile away

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

a bit of poor legislation to allow an antisocial leisure activity which spoils other peoples enjoyment of the countryside

It spoils yours. It doesn’t spoil most peoples’. For one I happily ride trails and get past by bikers (and usually wish I was on one at that point). As said before, don’t ride green lanes if you don’t like it – simple as really.

can ride thru it – not seen any 2or 3ft deep ruts caused by horses and i’m sure i’ve never heard one coming from 1/2 mile away

It is easy to ride through most bike ruts and if you can’t, you ride around them. If you can’t ride around them, pick your bike up. It isn’t difficult.

I think you are arguing for the sake of it – as said before, if it is such a problem to you, just don’t ride the green lanes in the first place – there isn’t exactly many anyway!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an Enduro/Off road Motorbike for Green lane winter fun’ is closed to new replies.