• This topic has 190 replies, 48 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by D0NK.
Viewing 31 posts - 161 through 191 (of 191 total)
  • Recommend me an Android Tablet
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Well the bigger Arnova in Comet is not marked G2, seems slow and plastic, so it must be older. Casing looks like the 7 G2 tho. Theres a pic on my flickr if you can make any sense of.”about device”. This was marked down to £115, ex display.

JonBurns
    Free Member

Ok so the wife has come home with my new G2 10incher just turned it on and done a quick set up. Mine is the g2 and the box says android 2.3. Apparently these have only come into the store this week so none on display yet.

Seems pretty good so far, not mega responsive to type or scroll but for £150 its perfectly useable.

clubber
    Free Member

So, how are we all getting on with our toys?

xiphon
    Free Member

with my new G2 10incher

Sounds like she’s been shopping in Ann Summers, not PC World…

cynic-al
    Free Member

JonBurns that from Currys yes? The one I “handled” (steady!) instore was super light….but really flimsy – you could actually flex it. How’s yours?

@ Clubber – you have watched my awesome video?

I am liking my 7″, but I spend enough time with it perched on my lap typing with 2 hands, or holding it on one and typing with the other, that I am wondering if the Vegacomb or Arnova 10″ may be worth trying.

clubber
    Free Member

Al – it is awesome – seemed alright actually other than the lag on what looked like hotmail though to be fair, my iPhone did that at times too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

😛 …just to be clear, that’s the native browser.

BlobOnAStick

My troubles with viewing movies and getting BBC iPlayer to work stemmed from updating the Flashplayer with the latest version by the looks of it.

It does appear to be infuriatingly sensitive to installing new apps and updates, which you would have thought (since Appslib are supposed to be the ‘approved’ apps) that it would be a little better…..

clubber
    Free Member

had a play with the arnova 7 g2 at hmv today. I have to say that for the five mins I gave it, it was really pretty.good. Very tempted now

skeetsgb
    Free Member

going to order a tablet over the next day or two. im decided between the one mentioned above from hmv or this one from amazon which is getting good reviews. what you reckon

clubber
    Free Member

Further feedback having had more use?

D0NK

I’ve been told these are available with honeycomb. Anyone tried one? (with or without honeycomb) Tempted to get one and have a play and get used to tinkering with android then leave it for wife/kids while I get a better model 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

FYI just had notification of full refund (including my postage of the item back to them!) from hmv for the returned G2 bought from their online site.

SO that might be comfort for those going that route.

as clubber says, its great for the five minutes in the shop, but I think blobs real world problems as a fiddling user rule it out for me too. Fortunately I would also have benefited from the 7 day distance selling regs cooling off period if I had come to the same conclusion regardless of the hardware fault.

So, still on the lookout for an awesome 7″ tablet.

BlobOnAStick

To be fair, i was re-reading the notes that went with the flashplayer upgrade earlier and it did say quite clearly that it was for android 3.1, so I think the problems have been self inflicted on this front.

I’ve used it extensively for iPlayer (both radio and TV) , surfing and e-mail and the kids have been playing flash games etc. I’ve even placed something for sale on ebay, which i’ve not even done on a ‘normal’ PC before. I’m finding it really rather good now I’ve stopped fiddling and just got on with using it.

The only ongoing glitch is that occasionally it goes into standby and I can’t awaken it unless the power lead is plugged in for a moment.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Hmmm. I am thinking of taking advantage of the DSR and trying a 10″ (Vegas now sold out at £130 😡 ).

I found myself using the 7″ in the same way as I would 10″, so feels like I may as well try the latter.

I’d still say it’s a good device, way way better than a £100 cheapie I tried off ebay a few months back, not as slick as an Ipad…though I am no expert.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well peeps I plumped for the 10″ G2 today, gonna return the 7″.

Seems OK out the box – way better than the ex-display one I tried and commented on above – it’s screen must have been fubared, and its casing felt way more flexy too.

If you really want I will post up a video?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

yes

cynic-al
    Free Member

shan’t.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

gwan

allthepies
    Free Member

No “twizzler” vids this time though.

sor
    Free Member

Just to add to the arguement, has anyone got a Blackberry Playbook and is it worth a punt now that it’s been hacked in price?

BillMC

I’m after a cheapie smallish (7 inch?) job so that I don’t have to take my notebook travelling and I leave behind my smartphone. I only need access to email and online banking. Anyone have any strong recommendations?

BlobOnAStick

I’ve now installed aptoide onto my Arnova which gives access to a huge selection of Apps, so I now have Spotify to add to the collection of entertaining things it does! Hooray!

As they say, i’m lovin’ it 🙂

cynic-al
    Free Member

BillMC the 7″ Arnova from HMV should hit the spot? Check out hotukdeals for others.

Blob I’d be interested to hear of any upgrades/apps.

BlobOnAStick

Will keep you posted Al, but I don’t think I’ll be doing a lot more.

I wanted something that would:
    1) surf the internets (tick)
    2) stream 6music/TV shows on iPlayer (tick)
    3) Access Spotify and play music from that (tick)
    4) access e-mails (tick)
    5) stream music from a NAS drive (tick, but needs work)
    6) play music from a library on SD card to a suitable audio standard (tick)

So really all I want to do now is get a better UPnP player app than the one on applib, which shouldn’t be hard now I have Aptoide (which appears to be some sort of app loader which, rather than downloading the apps from Android Market, downloads them from a cache held elsewhere).

I might explore the Skype functionality for when I’m abroad, I might also explore getting movies onto it (and downloading iPlayer programmes), again for when I’m abroad.

Edit: I feel I have to point out again that this little gadget only cost £120. It’s really quite a bargain IMHO.

clubber
    Free Member

Just thought I’d add to the thread since I bought the Arnova 10 G2 from Comet – £150.

It’s really very good. Definitely not as slick as an ipad (suprise!) but it’s perfectly functional and I’ve found browsing and watching videos on it absolutely fine. Games seem to work well. Er that’s kind of it really – it’s up to the job though you may have to wait a second or two on opening something memory hungry and sometimes there’s a bit of lag on scrolling big web pages. If you’re really important/busy/showing off to your mates then that may be an issue for you 🙂

I use Dolphin HD (available in appslib) as the browser using the ‘desktop’ mode and it works very well – near enough like using a ‘proper’ computer and browser.

The appslib is a bit crap though – some decent stuff is there but plenty of the other things I want (that are on the proper Android Market) aren’t. There’s an easy way round this (see below) for now though arctool should soon allow the full market to be installed.

For now, if you have an android phone already, just backup all your apps to the SD card (Astro is a free app that will do this) and then stick the SD card in the Arnova tab and you can just run/install the programs from there (sdcard/backups). Note though that paid for apps don’t seem to work doing this though.

clubber
    Free Member

looks like the full android market will be available soon (in a more stable version)

http://www.arctablet.com/blog/featured/arnova-10-g2-first-custom-firmware-market-root/

Dan67
    Free Member

Htc jetstream looks the tits tbh. If I was after a tablet thats the one I would have. The only problem is you cant get it over here yet only usa has it. Shame really cos it looks a nice bit of kit thats an alternative to the ipad

grahamh
    Free Member

OK, so what do you recomend for a 74 year old mother who is tehcno phobic???

showerman
    Free Member
    D0NK

Update? How are the Arnova 10 G2’s going?
    Battery life decent?
    Is it worth spending a bit more on vega or similar?

Viewing 31 posts - 161 through 191 (of 191 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an Android Tablet’ is closed to new replies.