• This topic has 11 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by IHN.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Recommend me an alarm clock
  • clubber
    Free Member

A lovely mid-week, middle-class thread 🙂

I’ve hated my alarm clock for years – or more to the point, I hate the alarm sound as it’s really grating. I’m not someone who struggles to wake up when the alarm goes off so I just need something to wake me but that won’t wake up my wife/kids/rest of the street as well – basically like my mobile which has a choice of alarms.

Requirements:
    – LED so that I can tell the time in the dark without pressing any buttons (useful when you have young kids that wake up at all hours and you can’t tell what time it is…)
    – mains powered ideally so no batteries to replace
    – Alarms that won’t wake everyone else up – eg, gentler sounds than BEEP BEEP BEEP, etc 😉 not radio alarms though.

Thanks

clubber
    Free Member

Looks great but I don’t listen to music/radio in bed so I’d be paying quite a lot for functionality I don’t really use.

binners

A mate of mines got one. The alarm says “wake up! Gotham City needs you!”

Whats not to like?

binners

Or go tea-based retro:

clubber
    Free Member

Ah, I did wonder who’d be first with the teasmade 🙂

The batman one is brilliant and my son would love it and I’d have loved it 20+ years ago but it just doesn’t fit my middle-class bedroom decor…

IHN

Why not use your mobile? I wake up each morning to the theme from Phoenix Nights 🙂

clubber
    Free Member

I don’t like the idea of sleeping with it that close to me tbh and it doesn’t meet the first requirement…

IHN

Fair enough.

Actually, I have a Phillips sunshine-awake light/clock that has an array of birdsong/gentle jungle drumming type alarm noises, as well as meeting your visible clock at night criteria, plus it’s a bedside light (and a radio that you won’t use).

Needs a new bulb, but if you’re at the March bike jumble in Brizzle you can have it for the price of a Mud Dock coffee 🙂

IHN

It’s one of these:

clubber
    Free Member

That looks rather spangly! I suppose the problem I might have with it is that I wake up before my wife (and currently baby daughter) so the light might wake them up too…

I am hoping to go to the jumble this time actually – might be in touch about it then if I haven’t found the holy grail 🙂

IHN

You can set the light to come on at various intervals before the alarm, including atthe time of the alarm or not at all.

Having read the blurb in the Amazon write-up, it seems that the bulb is non-replaceable, so I’ll check it properly to see if it’s working or not (been in a box for a year, tried it very briefly the other week and it didn’t light up).

I’d forgotten how much it was too, I might be after a piece of cake as well 🙂

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me an alarm clock’ is closed to new replies.