Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Recommend me a Ti (or maybe not) seatpost please
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

Currently have an eXotic Ti seatpost on my single speed, but it is a little too short. It hasn’t bothered me much as I’m happy out of the saddle, but trying to race it has resulted in a bit of knee pain.

Seeing as I’d like it to pedal more efficiently I’ve decided a longer one is in order. The engagement with the saddle rails could be better too, so I’m wondering what an alternative to eXotic is?

Also, is it worth chucking a dropper post into it?

amplebrew

Depending on how much you want to spend and if you definitely need / want a ti post, Eriksen are pretty much where it’s at. IMHO.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

It’s a winter, and winter races only bike (4-6 races at the most) so I’d not want to spend over £100 on it. There are a couple of other things it needs too (new front rotor) which are eating into the budget.

So, budget wise it looks like the Eriksen ones are out. Thanks for taking a look though!

haggis1978

What size are you looking for? Carver do a nice one in 27.2 and 31.6. Ive got the 27.2 and its nicely made. $169 so is right around your budget.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

31.6mm

Looks like it maybe eXotic again though.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Use Sumo? May be able to get it under budget if you shop about.

brassneck

I’d go with a Thomson and put my saved pennies toward the other bits on a race bike I think.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers for the recommendations.

How good is the Thomson at smoothing the ride out? Any particular model I should look at?

amplebrew

curiousyellow – Member
    It’s a winter, and winter races only bike (4-6 races at the most) so I’d not want to spend over £100 on it. There are a couple of other things it needs too (new front rotor) which are eating into the budget.

So, budget wise it looks like the Eriksen ones are out. Thanks for taking a look though!

That’s cool.

I think you’d pretty much be looking at probably £100+ for any titanium post.

Lynskey are £169.99 at CRC less any voucher codes etc.

Fatbirds are doing a Van Nicholas ti post for £131.99.

Deveron53
    Free Member

Have you considered carbon? I bought a used EC90 a few weeks ago and am very happy with it. It’s non metallic so won’t gall, seize or similar. The rail clamping is silent (no creaks). The exterior surface is not smooth and shiny so the post does not require excessive clamping force to stay put.
    I bought the Ti bolt upgrade and a full length 400mm x 30.9mm inline comes in at sub 200g.

qwerty
    Free Member

It’s non metallic so won’t gall, seize or similar.

IIRC if you don’t use a special grease on a carbon post your at risk of it swelling and getting stuck in there.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

If carbon is cheaper then I’ll consider it!

Main aim is to get the ride height right, comfort is a very close second.

brassneck

How good is the Thomson at smoothing the ride out? Any particular model I should look at?

Not very, but I don’t usually put ‘race’ and ‘comfort’ too close together!

They’ve never let me down, are light enough, adjust easily enough – unless I have an absolute mast out I think the comfort difference in a 31.6mm post are negligible if you just go on material. Good saddle and drop 5 psi from the tyres instead.

the00
    Free Member

My Van Nic one broke (at the weld). Newer ones might be better, but I wouldn’t risk it myself…

I’ve not bothered replacing it cos I have a spare post, and I think I’d like to try a dropper next.

rewski
    Free Member

I got a Funn Hyperion cheap-ish on CRC, the clamp is heavier than expected but rock solid. The ride is smooth.

http://www.funnmtb.com/product_detail.php?fid=17&p_no=50

wheelie

I’ve uses a Use Sumo Ti on both road and mtb for years. No problems at all.

dizcostix
    Free Member
    curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers Rewski

My current post is an inline.Guess a layback means I will have to adjust my seating position a bit, or mess about with the rail position?

Carbon is sounding more and more tempting. Will have a ride using the proper length seatpost and then figure it out.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

That hyperion is heavy I think – someone on the tripster forum bought one and that’s what he said.

danti

Thoroughly recommend the Van Nic ones from On One, never had any problems with mine in over 5 years use.

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

Moots

/end thread.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a Ti (or maybe not) seatpost please’ is closed to new replies.