Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Recommend me a soft shell jacket
  • onandon
    Free Member

Hi all.

I’m after a softshell jacket for general outdoor use, walking, etc.
    Must have a hood, which is ideally take off and on able and be shower resistant.

If I can use it while on the bike that’s a bonus.
    Budget is pretty open up to around £150, if it’s worth spending that much.

What quality brands do you recommend.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I picked up a Marmot softshell a few years ago in GoOutdoors for around £100 – I think it was the Trango – and can be had for around £60 quid these days BNWT from eBay, etc. It has been a fantastic jacket – a real all-rounder.

jtintheuk
    Free Member

I am also currently looking for a allround softshell for general use as well as biking, although at a lower budget, +-£50.

rene59
    Free Member

Try Decathlon for budget softshells, some good options for under £50.

moonsaballoon

My montane dyno has been brilliant for walking and riding and still in good nick after 5 years and umpteen washes

ChubbyBlokeInLycra
    Free Member

Picked up a Rab soft shell for about £90 from the cheap rail at Go Outdoors. Always worth a look and I don’t think their cheapest of the cheap deals are on line

flyingmonkeycorps

I have a Marmot Tempo, which if you want something light and showerproof (but no more) is perfect. I wear it all year round with varying different layers.

Del

hagloffs boa. light, stretchy, long arms, good hood. discontinued but still about.

brokenbanjo

Picked up a Montane Sabretooth for £85 about 3/4yrs back. Still looks like new despite being worn daily for work, pub, climbing, biking and dog walking. Not sure you can get one that cheap but at £150 I’d definitely get another one when the time finally comes.

jfletch
    Free Member

Rab Vapour Rise Lite

End of thread

timidwheeler

Look at the Mountain Equipment stuff. It is built for function and sensibly priced.

deft
    Free Member

Currently wear an ME Javelin softshell – it’s the perfect middle ground between a bin bag-esque windproof and a heavy lined softshell. Outdoor Research Ferrosi top is similar but maybe cheaper. Then there’s the original microgrid/pile softshells like the Marmot Driclime stuff (I think the Montane Krypton is no more though).

Just avoid membranes (e.g. windstopper), they’re never breathable enough for the UK and can be worse than wearing a waterproof.

onandon
    Free Member

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ve some reading up to do.

jimpy
    Free Member

as jfletch says rab vapour rise, for walking, climbing and winter biking nothing comes close.

gribble
    Free Member

I think Howies make jackets for circa £40 that should do it for biking. They are supposed to be quite good: Jacket for uber trendy types and possibly the rest of us

I have an old Howies jacket that I think was overpriced at £130. I was young and trying too hard then, but I think at that price you can’t go too far wrong.

onandon
    Free Member

I like the look of the RAB vapour rise lite. From what I can see, there is little difference between that and the vapour rise. Now I just need to find someone who has them in stock

lyrikal
    Free Member

For what you describe the Rab VR lite is the job, the standard vapour rise would most likely be too warm, they are similar but the lite has quite a bit less insulation.

I have the VR lite pull on and love it. Always surprising how warm it is for it’s weight.

epicyclo

jimpy – Member
    as jfletch says rab vapour rise, for walking, climbing and winter biking nothing comes close.

+1

Basically my winter uniform

onandon
    Free Member

I went for a RAB vapour rise lite in apple, it’s a nice fit and pretty damn effective at repelling wind and rain.
    I’ve not ridden in it yet but it fells like it should breath well after a run in it.

Thanks for the input – £109 well spent

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a soft shell jacket’ is closed to new replies.