• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Recommend me: a quiet place to work Central London with access to a power socket
  • brooess
    Free Member

Planning on working remotely tomorrow rather than sit at home but don’t want to spend the day in a Starbucks!

Festival Hall looked good but there’s hardly any power sockets and my battery won’t last all day.

Any museums/galleries or other quiet public spaces you can recommend?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Festival Hall is a common place for cheapskate remote workers in town (as long as your device is Apple branded else you’re uncool 😛 ). As you say power sockets may be an issue though. You may find this a problem in most places.

There are a number of pay for remote hot desk kind of office spaces, though they tend to be a monthly fee. NearDesk however is a per hour or day. I’ve got a free membership with them due to my contract business, though normally it’s £20 a year to get a card to sign in to places (though there are referral codes knocking about to get discounts). Never used it so don’t know what it’s like really.

DPM

Look Mum No Hands is a good place to work for a couple of hours here with power sockets

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks DPM. I think LMNH may be a bit risky – I’m not likely to get much work done 🙂

DT78
    Free Member

You could look to join one of the many clubhouse. If you have connections to the military Union jack club near waterloo is a nice place to spend a few quiet hours. Think there is even a library.

spooky_b329

http://blog.pactcoffee.com/2015/02/19/hot-desk-with-pact/

Edit: Looks like they’ve been overwhelmed, and it seems like a more permanent arrangement than one-offs

takisawa2

Library…?
    (Not a Londoner, so that might be naively optimistic). 😕

benp1

Libraries – usually have power sockets you can use

You can also sometimes get lucky with coffee shops

I usually work in a coffee shop if I need somewhere to kill a bit of time, but it’s usually not for more than a couple of hours so is easy enough with a laptop

geoffj

I like the cafe in Tate Britain or the small cafe bit in the Natural History Museum within the Angela Marmont Centre

plumber
    Free Member

Barbican

Above the small coffee shop near the ladies and gents toilets. Alway 2 or 3 people up the with laptops early in the morning waiting for meetings

Never get disturbed and plenty of cleaner sockets around

allthegear
    Free Member

Map room, British Library. Utterly silent, power and good wifi.

You’ve got to become a member first, though. Free.

I use it most times I’m in London.

Rachel

itsallgood

If you have a virgin credit card (and financial products ect) they have lounges you can use.

andylakes

Just spent most of the day meeting colleagues at the cafe at the Quaker meeting house opposite Euston station. Quiet and no pressure to move on. Good cakes too.

brooess
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas, all. WFH on a sunny day doesn’t appeal!

DrJ

Rachel – how did you get membership of BL? Do you need some sort of legitimate reason?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me: a quiet place to work Central London with access to a power socket’ is closed to new replies.