Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Recommend me a punchbag?
  • organic355
    Free Member

recommend me a punchbag (and bracket)?

Wheres the best place to get one?

There’s a few decent looking ones on amazon, or is there somewhere better?

is for martial arts so kicks/knees as well as punches.

Also need a good strong wall bracket and not fussed about gloves, skipping ropes etc as already have all that.

Cheers.

PS also plan to wall mount it on the centre (breeze block) column between my 2 garage doors, anyone see a problem with that? It should be able to take the weight shouldn’t it?

TheBrick
    Free Member

Politician or singletrackworld bighitter(TM) of your choice and a noose.

CountZero

Ed Balls, Tony Blair?

Duffer
    Free Member

organic355
    Free Member

so any useful answers then? 🙄

speckledbob
    Free Member

Two for the price of one.

sc-xc

If you’re getting one to kick, make sure it has a loop on the bottom to secure to the floor.

Better still, one like this…

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Theres a few on here I wouldn’t tire of punching.

lazybike
    Free Member

might get a useful answer on a martial arts forum…. 😉

organic355
    Free Member

the free standing ones look like they move around a bit too much?

benjbish

There’s a groupon punchbag and gloves on today…..

meehaja
    Free Member

any really. I like fabric bags as they are hard wearing and cheaper than leather. PU car rip but is cheap (and most common) The £20 bracket from argos is fine, but screw it into a solic wall with proper big screws (with metal expanding bits).

Don’t hang it on a wall you share with a neighbour, don’t hang it from a joist unless you mind the floor shaking. Hang it somewhere where you can have as much movement as possible around the bag.

FIlling…
    Carpet, saw dust, rags and card board are all common fillings. Mine is filled with fabric waste and cardboar outer (to make it harder).

Cheap gloves are often as good as expensive gloves but wrap your hands properly.

Poopsies
    Free Member

I got mine from here:

http://www.sugarrays.co.uk/shop/punchbags-boxing-muay-thai.html

Mine’s PVC which had some stiching problems after a while but duct tape sorted that. I had it hanging off a bracket (from Argos) outside and could hang enough weight off it to do knees.

Poopsies
    Free Member

I had trouble with the bricks in the wall taking the mounting bolts. They will probably be quite long so not sure if breeze blocks will take them?

bwaarp
    Free Member

peajay

Leather lonsdale one here, got it second hand off the local boxing club, £25 including the chains, bargain! Hang it off a roof joist in the garage so can’t comment on wall brackets,
    PJ

geetee1972
    Free Member

The bag is less relevant than what you fill it with. Most of the ones you find is local authority sports centres are filled with foam or something else that’s as useless as a wet kiss in a fight.

The ideal material for it to be still safely usable are rags, fairly densely packed. You can fill it with sand but it will weigh a heck of a lot and you will absolutely need good quality pad mits to work with it (and there’s a good chance you’ll break your wrists if you’re not used to punching something this hard!)

If the bag is filled with too light a material, then it won’t provide any kind of resistance and will make your work out pretty uninspiring and it won’t be much of a work out. You also won’t develop your punching/kicking focus and technique.

Finally, really try to have the bag hanging in completely free space so you can really move around it. Keeping on your toes and moving constantly, like a boxer, is as much a part of the training and the punching and kicking and also teaches you to move.

Daniel San. Best way to avoid punch is to not be there. Hei. 😆

organic355
    Free Member

Geetee, would you recommend a 4ft or 5ft bag? Bit worried about the weight on my garage wall so maybe a 4ft bag woulf be better?

Think I will be OK mounting it on the column between to garage doors? I will try and post a picture later, but its breeze block about 2 feet wide, and there isnt a second storey (of house) above it. But the column supports 2 concrete lintels above each garage door.

Only other option is another external garage wall but Ive got my bikes on there and would prefer not to have to move things about.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Since you’re going to be kicking and punching it my suggestion would be to suspend it from the roof. You’ll likely have joists that would be more than strong enough to attach it to.

In the dojo I used to train in (long time ago now, I stopped in 2002 but I got the third degree black belt so I sort of knew what I was doing) we took the bags down when not using them. In a garage that is shared space that would work really well.

You can also use the bag as a weight training implement so having it in a position where you can/need to remove it easily is helpful.

The longer bags tend to be thin and not as good for punching. The shorter, wider bags are much better for a workout with punches. Either way, it’s hard to do a good kick workout on a free hanging bag without there being someone there to steady the bag. After a few kicks, it starts to sway wildly and you can’t keep a good pace of kicks.

organic355
    Free Member

Hmm, I am still no further forward with this, just seem to have more options.

Not sure what weight to get now, most of them seem to be 30kg which is only around 70lbs, If I am 165lbs and want to hammer the bag I will need something heavier wont I?

Also what about an uppercut/angled bag or a tripple?

Bit worried about the weight on this column in the garage so perhaps a stand is the way forward? Such as:

http://www.fit-box.com/free-standing-frames/free-standing-frames/free-standing-boxing-frame.html

But that also looks like it would move around a bit?

BoardinBob

What about a Slam Man type? The free standing frames have to be weighted down with something like sandbags.

We only use heavy bags at the gym and there’s no way you could hang them from a home ceiling. I can get the heavy bag seriously moving with a right cross and I reckon a lighter bag would be a real waste of time.

elzorillo
    Free Member

The Lonsdale Leather three in one is a great little bag for a small space. We have a couple at our gym and they are great for combinations, general work out etc. We’ve gone through a LOT of bags over the years and have a few different types of bags from this range and they stand up to a lot of hammer.

Another benefit of the three in one is that it has a bottom anchor. Fix it loosely to the floor with some bungy and it will still swing enough for you to move about but wont get out of control in a small place ie garage.

If you fancy something a little heavier this is another great allrounder from the same range..

Alternatively get yourself down to your local boxing gym.. best bunch of fellas you could ever wish to meet (out of the ring that is ) .

mooman
    Free Member

You really cant get better than the Lonsdale heavy bags. In leather of course.
    The floor2ceiling type bage are good but the bungees snap pretty quickly with daily use.
    I just use a nice heavy bag mounted from beam in garage.
    The wall bracket type can be too close to the wall, so if your not working the bag properly it can swing about a bit and rip the bottom of bag against wall.

But as said. If your working a bag properly it should not swing too much. Crisp sharp punches – not feminine arm push punches 😉

TimP
    Free Member

I had a slam man and the central core is pretty hard and the padding is thin in places, so went through bag mitts to full weight gloves with gel wraps and I was still getting cuts and heavy bruising to my hands (mainly from poor timing of catching it as it bounced back towards me). Filled the base with sand and it was still moving about, so would have been better with wet sand, but I needed to be able to empty it as it was in a rental property

organic355
    Free Member

So I am thinking about getting this triple bag:

Just trying to decide on a wall bracket now. The bag is 48cm in diameter, and i was looking at a 2ft bracket, but was worried it would out the bag too close to the wall. I was planning on putting some kind of padding/jigsaw mats on the wall to prevent it ripping the bag, so is 2ft enough?

I didnt want it protruding into the garage too much and I figured that the longer the bracket, the more strain there would be on the wall and fixings.

I was looking at this 2ft bracket:

http://www.ampro.co.uk/shop/image.php?type=P&id=431

or possibly this 1m bracket (at 3 times the price):

http://www.ampro.co.uk/shop/image.php?type=P&id=289

Any advice/suggestions? Can I get away with a 2ft bracket as long as I put some kind of padding on the wall to protect the bag if/when it hits.

Here is the bag in action if that helps?

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=086CCIRNBFk&feature=player_embedded[/video]

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

the (p)rick that sold me a car last week !

organic355
    Free Member

Bump for the morning crowd?

Junkyard
    Free Member

not sure the bracket makes much difference tbh as they are all beefy enough , th e black one looks like it will spread it across three breeze blocks – no idea if this is a good thing or not – mine onoly has three bolts and it is fine [ but into brick]

As long a syou use the proper metal expanding bolts it should be solid – dont be using plastic inserts in the breeze block

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Get a leather Thai bag. As used in thousands of gyms across Thailand.

They are long enough that the bottom actually rests on the floor, which cuts down on the hassle of the thing swinging around too much when you kick it.
    Stuff it with plenty of rags and off you go!

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Recommend me a punchbag?’ is closed to new replies.